It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glancing M1 Solar Flare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Looks like we have a glancing M1 solar flare that happened today.

Strong Solar Flare

At 1825 UT on August 7th, magnetic fields around sunspot 1093 erupted, producing a strong M1-class solar flare. Several amateur astronomers caught the active region in mid-eruption. The blast hurled a CME into space. The cloud is not heading directly toward Earth, but it might deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field two or three days hence. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

I don't think there is any doom and gloom here, but the CMEs do seem to be getting stronger.

CU

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Unfortunately your thread isn't getting the attention it should get as it doesn't contain doom & gloom.

Unlike this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... same story just his has doom & gloom thrown in to excite people

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Wow, this M flare is bouncing around like crazy - this is the third thread this evening!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Yeah nobody ever looks to see if the topic has been covered

www.abovetopsecret.com... look here also peoples

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

It's still a nice little psychological experiment to see how posters respond to various thread titles about the same story.

It appears the more lies and doom & gloom, the more attention lol

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I did search for this topic.

I did not find it, must have been the D&G titles that through off my search.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CUin2013?

There's a cool website devoted to Space Weather's effects on the Earth's magnetosphere. The website is run by scientists, not governments...lol. It features Real-time Simulations (movies and still shots) posted daily, based on data collected via the ACE satellite. Data displays the Magnetic Field Lines, Plasma Pressure on the Earth as it is hurling thru space, and Ionosphere Convection (yeah, I'm not real clear on that one either.)

I've been watching the videos since all of this sunspot/solar flare activity erupted (pun intended) and it is really quite amazing to watch. The magnetic lines go crazy sometimes! The red and blue colors of the lines indicate the positive and negative charges, ie: the Poles, and my-oh-my they get all tangled up here lately...

The website is:www2.nict.go.jp...
The direct link to the movies is:Daily Magnetosphere Simulation Movies
The direct link to the latest image (many per day):Latest Still Image of Earth's Magnetosphere

BUT WAIT: You might have to download their player to see the movies, unless you have VLC player--it works for me. I did, however, find that someone has been converting them and posting them on youtube... wooHoo!

Be Forewarned: watching these can become quite addictive. It shows the UTC time, so you can see how crazy the magnetic lines get at specific time. For example, I've looked up exact times of major earthquakes, then watched the simulation of that day, and my-oh-my, it sure does get interesting!

Edit: Left the period off the first sentence, danggit!

[edit on 8/7/2010 by new_here]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Since there is no information provided about what is seen in the simulation and there is a lot of misunderstanding, I tried to help with these two threads about it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Since there is no information provided about what is seen in the simulation and there is a lot of misunderstanding, I tried to help with these two threads about it.

Huh? ..."It features Real-time Simulations (movies and still shots) posted daily, based on data collected via the ACE satellite. Data displays the Magnetic Field Lines, Plasma Pressure on the Earth as it is hurling thru space, and Ionosphere Convection."

It is not a dissertation, but I put a little thought and time into trying to be clear. Sorry to disappoint.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I wasn't referring to your post.
I was referring to the RTMS website.

Note I said "tried" to help. Past tense. This seemed like a good opportunity to provide some information about what the simulation actually shows.

[edit on 8/8/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Oh, thanks for letting me know that! I looked back to make sure I didn't accidentally delete everything but the video! It is fascinating stuff, isn't it? Whirling along thru space, spinning like mad, solar winds in our hair, and it feels like we're just standing still.

Do you think this latest flare will be notable when it glances by? We had an incredible lightning storm the other day, which seemed to coincide with the arrival of that "filament ejection" from the sun recently. Dunno. The timing was right!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I don't think the CME (not flare) will have as much effect as the recent ones. Judging from the view from the STEREO B satellite it is not very strong even if it does brush us.

new topics

top topics

join