It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Hey Hey...from Louisiana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hey, ya'll! Just decided to do the intro thread, even tho I've been a member for 11 months. I have already created another thread, then felt guilty that I had never done an intro thread. So here it is.

I've posted a lot about myself over the past year, so here is quick recap: I live in Northeast LA., out in the boondocks, thankfully. I have all the usual rural redneck items, you know, kids, dogs, cats, cows, chickens etc. It's chaos, lovely chaos all the time!

There is not anything I'm unwilling to discuss. I try to remain civil in all things, and not be petty. Sometimes, tho, the Redneck gal in me comes out to play.

So, anyway, I am so glad that I joined ATS. I have enjoyed every second of my time here and look forward to many years of engaging, enlightening discussion!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well it's about time!

Welcome Jennybee35, glad to have ya onboard!
Have a cold Dixie for me and Whodat talkin'bout beat dem Saints!!!!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks, SO! I'll also have a Natchitoches meat pie and some fried crawfish tails, along with an Abita beer! Yum, yum. Now I'm hungry.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Natchitoches meat pie, man I haven't heard that in years! I used to love going to the fireworks show and mackin' out on the meatpies! Good times!
Forgot about Abita too, but I don't miss that one so much since I live in the state that created a renaissance for micro beers. Man we have some great beer here in Oregon! Half of my friends brew their own at their homes now, good stuff!

Peace

[edit on 7-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I would have said a soft shell crab poboy before BP, but I think I'll hold off on that for awhile (I'm so mad because I LOVE seafood!!)........ so I'll take a muffaletta and a barq's rootbeer! Oh HELL yeah!
Just saw the title of your thread and since I'm a N'Awlin's girl, I HAD to stop by and say welcome. Just met Spec and hope to get to know you too. Who Dat!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Hey, StealthyKat! MMMM..... muffalettas. I haven't had one in a while. Makes me wanna run to Johnny's rite now. Thanks for the Who Dat!!

And I haven't been to Manchac in several years for softshell crab, but my favorite there was always the flounder with seafood dressing. Oh, my, I can see why LA is so full of fatties!!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Helllo, there!

I have been reading your thread on the Bible translations. Not quite sure how I feel about it, yet.

I am currently in Gulfport, but my husband is MAKING me move back to Kentwood this friday! I am soooooo, bummed! He is probably going to have to drag me by my hair! We don't have internet at the house there right now, so I will miss ATS! I'll have to go to the crappy Library there.

Being from up north, I find the food selections in Louisiana, quite disgusting, since I don't eat pork or shellfish of any kind. The smell of crawfish, makes me want to puke! Every restaurant around Kentwood, seems to be some kind of buffet food eating contest, with sloppy macaroni, fried oysters, and other nasty things! I starve while I am there! You can't find a decent pizza anywhere, they are all slathered in greasy pork sausage, or greasy pork peperoni. If you are vegan, or vegetarian in Louisiana, good luck! Ever been to Nylas in Osyka? I only had tea there, as there was NOTHING on the menu I could eat!

Blehhhh, sorry to be a bummer, I am just not happy about going to the house there! I know what you mean about cows, and all the rest. My neighbor STILL, has not fixed the fence in all places since Katrina, and I have to chase cows down the road quite often! Nothing like a cow moooooing right outside your bedroom window at 2:30 in the morning. The damn things trample and eat my landscaping! I've completely given up trying to have a vegetable garden, 'cause of the boogers.

LOL, done with rant!

Anyway, welcome to ATS, and I hope the dog in you Avatar isn't dead. All the lady has to do is fart, to set it free!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Wow. Dislike LA much?? I agree that some of our food choices might seem odd to outsiders, but the only thing I've found that I can't eat are "chittlins". Nasty, stinky buggers. We have lots of fresh veggies and fruits here. Have you not been to a farmers market?

I'm sorry you are so displeased about moving to Kentwood. On the plus side, maybe you can make friends with Britney Spears family and become a groupie

Edit to add: that's "chitterlings" for those who don't know.

[edit on 8/7/10 by jennybee35]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

My husband is Britney Spears cousin! LOL, the house in Kentwood is quite stunning, and stands out like a sore thumb amid the trailers, and run down houses and the town!

I have been to the famers market in Kentwood, and other towns, and that is great, I have to admit, since the cows that get loose, eat my garden!

It's not too bad, If you don't mind being bored out of your mind, which I don't like to be!

As for chittlins, does anybody really eat those? GROSSS!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Hey from the 30 thousand islands on Georgian Bay...
I've got roots down your way, but don't know much about La aside from the family tree...(hense the flag AV)
Hope things are lookin' up down there.
I'd love to know more about that part of the world sometime
hope you post about it...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS! This forum will make you laugh, cry, and maybe sing. I love it, and hopefully you will too.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

You should choose your restaurants more carefully.....I've lived here my whole life and never encountered the horrors you have (food or otherwise) LOL! This is a great place to live, sounds like you just had some bad experiences. Also, if you are a vegan, all you have to do is order from a vegan menu or go to one of the numerous farmer's markets and cook it yourself. Hope it works out for you!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

My husband is Britney Spears cousin! LOL, the house in Kentwood is quite stunning, and stands out like a sore thumb amid the trailers, and run down houses and the town!

I have been to the famers market in Kentwood, and other towns, and that is great, I have to admit, since the cows that get loose, eat my garden!

It's not too bad, If you don't mind being bored out of your mind, which I don't like to be!

As for chittlins, does anybody really eat those? GROSSS!

WOW....I am biting my tongue right now...**deep breath**.....please don't come on here and perpetuate the myth that Louisiana residents are fat cow chasin hillbillies who chaw tobaccy and marry their cousins and sit on the porch of thier rusted out trailers whittling all day......soooooooo not true. Sure, there are rural areas, but that is everywhere......I assure you that I am not fat NOR do I live in a dilapidated trailer
Just sayin......
This is a reply to Blanca Rose, not Jenny.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by StealthyKat]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I knew you weren't talking to me!
I'm beginning to think that Blanca is a.. dare I say it...YANKEE!! Horror of horrors! Either that or a "city kid".

The stereotyping you are speaking of is very prevalent in all media and most folks that are not from the deep south believe that trash. We do have terbaccy-chewing, whittlin' pig-chasers, but from what I've seen on FaceBook and other social sites, places like Detroit are FULL of trailer-parks and rednecks, too. I mean, just look at Kid Rock! Does it get more red-neck than that?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

LMAO! Yeah.....but he's cool. There are people like that everywhere.....and hey if it floats thier boat, fine......but I get so tired of that image being portrayed you know? Like in the movies, they show the French Quarter and everyone is second-lining like it's Mardi Gras all the time!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

That's the truth! Don't ya know it's Mardi Gras everyday here? Where you been?
I don't worry too hard about what folks think, either. We are all well-educated and happy. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live than right here! Unless you told me I could live on a deserted island somewhere in the south-pacific. That would be heavenly, and mosquito free!!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Around Kentwood, or Amite area, there is no thing as a vegan menu. Sorry to burst your bubble!

As I said above, I do go to the farmers markets! If I didn't, I'd starve to death!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Around Kentwood, or Amite area, there is no thing as a vegan menu. Sorry to burst your bubble!

As I said above, I do go to the farmers markets! If I didn't, I'd starve to death!

Hmmmm well don't worry...my bubble is intact
Glad you won't starve....really! Peace!

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35

That's the truth! Don't ya know it's Mardi Gras everyday here? Where you been?
I don't worry too hard about what folks think, either. We are all well-educated and happy. I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live than right here! Unless you told me I could live on a deserted island somewhere in the south-pacific. That would be heavenly, and mosquito free!!

I hear ya....mosquitos DO suck (pun intended)

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Yeah, I can believe that there are no vegan choices on the menu there. There aren't here, either, unless you count fried broccoli, mushrooms and cauliflower! In the bigger cities like Shreveport up here there are options like vegan, 'cause now that the film industry has moved there, they have to cater to those "Hollyweird" types!
I thought Kentwood has some fairly cosmopolitan places to eat, no?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join