It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Paneled Highways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Let me apologize if this has all ready been posted...Feel free to direct members to best post or thread...

Now then, I just ran across this and thought it was a fantastic idea. Using solar paneled roads to produce power is definitely a very innovative idea. We certainly have enough roads to do this, and they most certainly sit around and collect heat all day anyway.

I just think this is something that should be seen, shared, and considered. lol and it is much more scientific then I have presented it here!

Check out this video: Maybe someone can think of something to add to it!

Solar paneled Highways

[edit on 7-8-2010 by yigsstarhouse]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think covering skyscrapers pretty good idea, its not like people are going to be walking or driving up the sides of buildings, it gets full sun the entire day.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by yigsstarhouse
Using solar paneled roads to produce power is definitely a very innovative idea.

The thing that sucks about great ideas is that they take income away from powerful people...

Capitalism isn't always good for progress and reform...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Wow, I think it's a great idea! Why hasn't someone thought of that before? I love the recycling aspect too. Skyscrapers? Sounds good too MC!
I agree with Jezus though, this makes SO much sense that it probably won't become reality.

Hopefully as people become aware of these technologies they will inquire about and support such ideas. So thanks for bringing it onboard!

Peace

Edit To Add: Some other Solar news, about being able to utilize heat and solar simultaneously. Now apply that to the "solar highway" and you have got a serious energy source.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Wow, I think it's a great idea! Why hasn't someone thought of that before? I love the recycling aspect too. Skyscrapers? Sounds good too MC!
I agree with Jezus though, this makes SO much sense that it probably won't become reality.

Hopefully as people become aware of these technologies they will inquire about and support such ideas. So thanks for bringing it onboard!

Peace

Yes i loved the recycling aspect of it as well. Plus how the led lights worked fpr creating signs etc.

I know I was reading somewhere just recently about "Gorilla Glass?" I wonder if that would be workable or another form of it.

With all the great minds around here I hope a lot of folks watch that video, or if anything at least share it. It has so many possibilities.

I also like the skyscraper idea.
As far as tptb go, we just have to show them a way they could make money from it is all. Seems with all that power harnessed, something should be able to come out of it. Or, maybe if we are lucky, tptb, won't be so important in the near future, or we will have new ptb and will be more concerned about the greater good for mankind!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yigsstarhouse

That's the spirit!

I will have to look into "Gorilla Glass," sounds endurable.

spec

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
As a Civil Engineer, I have to say thats some fairly cool thinking

I'd love to see more info. I wonder how it would fair in colder climates when covered in snow etc, and how it can be adapted for cambers and rainfall runoff.

Definitely the future though.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The trick is to get something that is not slippery on the road, so it would have to something like a transparent rubber layer. It would also have to be regularly cleaned because of the dust, dirt, and tire rubber, which could get quite expensive. And it needs to be extremely durable, especially if it had to stand up to snow-plowing which is incredibly hard on roadways. Basically, I think it may take a lot of effort and new technologies to turn it into reality.

As for skyscrapers having solar panels, I'm not a fan. They are covered with windows for a reason: office workers like windows. I never got a cube with a window but if I did I'd be pissed if it were plastered over. Maybe it can still be done between the floors and windows. It is definitely a more do-able idea than the road-top idea.

The thing about solar power is it is still expensive to produce. Capacity runs $3 per watt and the panels generally are thought to have a lifespan of only ten years. When capacity drops below $2 per watt maybe in a couple years I have a feeling they will start sprouting up everywhere.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I wonder if they did do the roads that way, could the panels create their own heat, there by eliminating the need for snow plowing etc? I am obviously not a engineer! It is just my mind wondering is all In the video it does seem they are working on a lot of the facets of it anyway. I guess it falls under baby steps...

and another thought just struck me... can't tires be made out of hemp?

[edit on 7-8-2010 by yigsstarhouse]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

can't tires be made out of hemp?

Now that is a whole nother subject, but yes, most things that can be made from oil can be made from hemp...and big oil, Pharma and textiles(DOW) industries know this and probably consider it a threat. Can't have everyone able to provide for themselves from something that can grow in the backyard now.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Id rather they setup kinetic systems to gather energy from Roadways.

Imagine it (and they have got stuff like this already), pressure plates that when run over produces an electric charge (even a small amount per car will still add up to a huge amount in large cities (even if its used to just power traffic lights and nearby electrical dependant systems, savings would mount up), now imagine having all these fairly inexpensive systems all over the place. Even in footpaths.

Every car or human that moves would be generating electricity, day and night, and the motive force of the petrol in cars and food in our bodies would be doubly utilize into creating electrical energy for ourselves.

Why NOT take advantage of it?..

Oh yeah thats right money, and who has control over most of it, cant not have power plants that prop up the coal and nuclear industries going out of business, or not getting all the money.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Nice idea for sure! I really hadn't given much thought to the amount of energy/potential energy involved with highways, before this thread.
In Oregon they're using kinetic energy from ocean waves. Now there is an abundant and sustainable source of energy too.
www.renewableenergyworld.com...
www.oregonwave.org...
www.oceanpowertechnologies.com...

Back to your point, yes significantly concentrated areas of kinetic energy should be taken advantage of. Energy is being wasted in carefree dissipation.
Like an above poster mentioned, if these efforts could be shown to be profitable, they will get more attention. How it goes I guess...
Kinetic energy from footpaths, as you mentioned, sounds good too.
Hmmm...Skyscrapers with solar panels or solar nano paint if the panels were not applicable. Solar Ink/Paint
www.utexas.edu...
www.tgdaily.com...
Why not put windmills atop skyscrapers?

Even if I am somewhat cynical about the implementation of such technologies , these reports of ideas and advances, as well as ats threads and perspectives, offer slivers of hope, in that the spirit of bettering our selves and way of living through creative and innovated technology, is alive and well.

Peace

Edit To Add: Popular Science article- Solar Panels Built Into Roads
www.popsci.com...

[edit on 8-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I find it a bit disturbing that the only company in my town that utilizes solar technology is a Chinese logistics firm. ( I live in the midwest USA in a heavy industrialized area)

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If there's a way to keep cars from destroying the solar panels, it's a great idea; otherwise, it's not going to work.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

Hello dragonD, this Gorilla Glass sounds like it can handle the wear and tear.
gorillaglass.blogspot.com...
www.corning.com...
vimeo.com...

Peace

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I am glad you went and looked for that. It is pretty interesting isnt it! I think with some adjustments it just might be able to handle it

top topics

join