It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There A Military Target In Your Neighborhood?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
My work covers some very interesting territory within the Washington D.C. Northern Va. areas.

Some facilities have been there as long as I can remember while new facilities have mushroomed exponentially near homes, condos, schools and transportation routes ever since 911.

The newest facility, being the National Anti-Terrorism Complex in Mclean, over looking
Tyson's Corner near the intersection of Lewinsville Road and Rt. 123.

In Reston, Herndon, Mclean and Dulles/Sterling there are countless military industrial and government related office parks backing to residential neighborhoods.

I'm sure the goal was to bring office space closer to affordable housing, but now those neighborhoods have become possible collateral damage sites because of what goes on in those nearby employment centers.
Military Research, Military Global Mapping, Weapons Development, Satellite Systems, you name it.
You know something is going on when armed guards greet you at entry points.

These offices occupied by the Who's Who in the top 50 military industrial contractor rosters.
Then you have the data centers related to government agencies in considerable numbers.

If the goal was to make us safer, the location of some of these facilities certainly puts that in jeopardy.

One thing for sure, the people who work there all have one common element, Funding Security.
With perpetual global conflict and Fearorism as the grease that allows the wheels of the war machine to turn.
Job security has become more important to the droves who work there,
than national security or any hope of fiscal responsibility.

Meanwhile, the unaware have no idea that the building in their back yard or across the street is a potential military target.

While it's understandable that the center of our government would naturally be an employment hub, we bring much risk to peaceful residential neighborhoods by placing some of these secured facilities right in the middle of them.

Satellite offices serve a strategic purpose, to move critical facilities away from a more primary target.

To make sure that no one event can take out All critical command centers or critical personnel.
In effect moving critical command centers outside of the primary blast zone.

I see AT&T #1 relay facility to Mt Weather from my desk here.
Satellite photos, show the site is nuclear hardened.

It's nice to have them there on the 1st mountain range between me and Washington. D.C.

If you venture out on the bike and ATV trails on Short Hill Mountain, eventually you'll run into
armed guards.

At night the red blinking strobe atop the relay tower reminds me of their presence.

It haunts me and makes we wonder why I can't get any reliable wireless service up here.

The pros and cons of locating military targets near residential neighborhoods should certainly
be an interesting topic of discussion.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I can see Mt. Mt Weather from my house also. I notice the helicopters flying low over my house every day. It's a constant reminder of the potential danger soo very close to home.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by VAPatriot]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I will never know the horrors of a nuclear conflict in all probability! (unless I move)...... Well actually thinking about it I may be one of the most unlucky survivors because my proximity to a certain area should put my in living dead land.

Simply put I live fairly close to not only one of the largest underground munitions stores in the UK (seriously underwater entrances and all sorts), right down the road from that is the one stop fix your trident nuclear missile delivery platform shop (aka Devonport).

I would imagine that little lot would rank fairly high on any enemies hit list... And to boot I have a lot of family, friends and loves (and ex loves, but some of them can die in a bath of acid for all I care - kidding!)

Gawd knows what else is where... I had a couple of funky dreams where missiles busted out of fields, must of watched something and eaten cheese.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
OP I'm from Centreville. I guess it is safe to say we ARE a military target. Not to mention we are only 22 miles from D.C. All it takes is one nuke for SubPop79 to never post here again if you get my drift.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FallenFromTheTree

Glover Park, Washington DC ... 200 or so yards from the Russian Embassy 400 yards from the VP compound.

Now that Biden is here I would say no, when old man Chaney was around we were all targets, on account of his sleepwalking in the hood with a shotgun.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Certainly in the event of full scale war, we're all toast.

I think there is much greater risk of a smaller concentrated event that remains contained mostly inside the beltway.

In that case, an organized evacuation will be a complete disaster.

On a calm day there's already grid lock. imagine 100's of thousands heading for the hills!

On the day of 911 my coworkers spotted a mile long caravan of SUV's heading into Rt. 601
to Mt. Weather.

Funnily enough NO ONE was telling the people to take shelter or where to go or what to do.

We will be left to fend for ourselves, sacrificed for the continuation of government.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I've got torrnes nuclear power station 45 minutes to the north of me and RAF boulmer 45 minutes to the south but i think we'd be OK after all my town was still at war with Russia until fairly recently and they didn't wipe us out then
anything i should know about in sunderland UK as I'm moving there in a couple of week. (i think it's just the Geordie's that want to bomb the place but you never know:lol

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Unless you consider the 32nd st. naval base, coronado naval base, the point loma sub base, miramar marine corp air base, and camp pendelton a threat here in San Diego, then nothing really comes to mind.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
south of me.is slc airport#2 home base for the air guard, and then camp Williams, west is were the wet-I's are, there the nasty bombs, safe proof bunks? my@$$ if you know... lord help us if it gets a direct hit, nuke or not.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
how would one start to find out whats near by that might be a target? like a search engine or maps and whatnot id be greatly aprecitive of any advise!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's interesting that some facilities advertise their location like a Las Vegas hooker, while
the really not so secret , secure buildings don't display a logo, just an address, anti-truck bomb
driveways and armed guards at the gate.

Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, Mitre, Bechtel, Carlisle Group, Raytheon, EADS, Rolls Royce, Booze Allen Hamilton, Defense Mapping Command, USGS, CIA and every other A, ATF, FBI, DEA, you name it, all walking distance to homes and schools.

These are still industrial targets and in many cases the Think Tanks where critical personnel are employed in operations centers.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Maybe Microsoft? If we're in a war where people are bombing us, you can bet that Microsoft would be waging all-out cyberwarfare, from launching massive hacking attacks on enemy computer networks to planting viruses in the Windows updates local to the enemy nation.

We wouldn't be targeted in a nuclear war - EMP would be enough to neutralize Microsoft. But I could see the campus being bombed in a conventional war. And given how big the campus is, the enemy might have to use carpet bombing.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FallenFromTheTree

I live about a mile from site R here in south central Pa. About 5 miles from Camp David. Choppers all hours of the night and day. When the POTUS is at Camp David its the Fighter Jets.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It depends if Georgia guide stones are right .then it will be economical and population centres. like secondary citys ,Birmingham ,Manchester,Liverpool as well as a few military to make it look legit/ so in the uk 1 missile with 12 warheads would do in british isles for good.
but im no expert just a nobody

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
so to clarify im in the flathead valley of montana near glacier national park and aside from the fact that something like 85% of usa's icbms are suposedly in my state if its nuclear im pretty sure im toast but should i be worried about anything else in the area?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well, in most Apacolypticmovies made, my city is definately a Target(Las Vegas). Not only because its Vegas, but because we have a large Air Force base on the NE side of town(Nellis AFB). I live near the base, so everytime they do their Air shows here, I can just sit on the roof of my house and wave at the pilots while they are cartwheeling across the skies.
Not to mention that one of their flight paths goes directly over my house.

So you kind of feel safe in the sense that you have an entire fleet next door, but at the same time, you are a Major Military target. (Not to mention employees from Area 51 get flown out of McCarren Airport in the white jet with blacked out windows with the red stripe along it. (I have personally seen this plane and use to watch it leave everyday when I worked there.(they either fly, or get bussed out).

In that sense though, I would say that Nevada is one of those states that are very well protected from outside forces. It is also a major target for infiltarators.

edit-

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
some links for you guys

www.ki4u.com...

www.survivalmonkey.com...

thats all i found for now but thats all i can do at this point hope i helped

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
On a clear day and with a good pair of eyes you can see Mt Weather from where Highway 50 and Interstate 66 cross. Highway 50 points right at the facility.

I also worked in the vicinity of Mount Weather in Middleburg. Driving home at night I remember the whole place is lite up and I remember thinking, "Good idea, just place a neon sign over the place stating, 'SECRET BASE RIGHT HERE!'

If you want to see somthing really cool, go to the Horseshoe Curve Restaurant in Snickers gap. It's the closest bar to Mount Weather. It's owned by an ex DIA guy, right when you walk in there is a message board where people from Mount Weather have all posted their business cards. They are military security people from all over the world and a lot from with in the Federal government, mostly DHS, SS and FBI. There are some pretty high ups posted like the Mayor of Alexandria, Virginia. The Surgeon General of the US and media people from ABC news.

Article from 2006 about Mount Weather that mentions the Horseshoe Curve restaurant

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Jack Jouett]

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Jack Jouett]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I live very close the center of London which I'm guessing would be a pretty good target, on the upside I also live within running distance of a disused deep level WW2 bomb shelter, so maybe I could hide in there for a while. Not exactly sure how radiation proof that would be though.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
well in the event of a nuclear missile attack
against the US, I am pretty much a cooked goose.
I live within nuking distance of Fort Bragg, the largest
US Army Base in the CUS.

If the heat didn't get me, the first shock wave
surely would and then there is the return wave
as well for the double whammy.

And what foreign nation would NOT target
the largest Army base??

So if ya'll see Bragg has been wiped out,
ya'll know that I'm pushing up daises as well.

"OH ELIZABETH !!! This is the big one !!!
I'm coming to join ya honey !!!!
with hot protons on my @$$ !!!!"
~Fred Sanford~

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join