It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fidel Castro makes rare appearance at Cuban parliament, warns of dangers of nuclear war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Fidel Castro makes rare appearance at Cuban parliament, warns of dangers of nuclear war

www.nydailynews.com

His entrance drew a standing ovation from the crowd and shouts of "Viva Fidel." During the televised meeting, he discussed the dangers of nuclear war with the United States, Israel and Iran.

In a 12-minute prepared speech, Castro warned the world was on the brink of war if President Obama attacked Iran for not abiding by nuclear-arms sanctions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scary Letter From Fidel Castro In Regards To Iran War
turn on CNN now! Castro is speaking live!

[edit on 8/7/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Just a followup to his original letter and TV appearance last month. (See Related Threads.)

He's certainly being vocal about this threat.

Some view him a a worn-out dictator. Others take what he says into some account, as he has been both a target and an observer of nuclear threats for many decades now. Small wonder the dangers are on his mind in today's geopolitical environment.

For what it's worth.

www.nydailynews.com

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is certainly worth a second look. I've been watching him awhile, and while part of me says "senile old man", there's a coherence about him, in his writings and what he says. I like his literary style.

He'll die soon, he's obvously doing what he feels important, which in his case is warning about the threat/fear of nuclear war. Whether the threat is real is pretty obvious, whether his concern is, is directly related to his mental health?

What's the difference between Fidel and Mandela?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Good thing he's vocal about this. Talking about it may in fact make it NOT HAPPEN.

Because after all, there was always the plans to use nuclear bunker busters against Iran nuclear facilities and nukes against iranian military and cities if Israel had to go at it alone. Conventional wouldn't have done the job alone.

Of course the US is supposed to be deploying the massive conventional bunker buster right about now in the B-2 bombers... which would make nuclear bunker busters not necessary, but that is if the US helps Israel in a war with Iran.

But the deployment of those bombs is not certain at this time. The LAST TIME they were ever talked about was on August 17, 2009 and it said that the deployment was scheduled for July/August 2010... which is now... but is it really ready for action?

If not, they gonna have to go with the other options. Full scale invasion or nuclear bunker busters they considered ``safe for the civilians since it exploded underground``... PURE INSANITY... and their example was downtown Tehran where there's a nuclear research facility there.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You're right. It is good that people bring attention to this. A lot of attention.

Ahmadinejad is too in his own ways...at least to the way Iran is yet again in the crosshairs (last time it was this bad was 2007).

Check out my thread here about how it's all a big pattern...same playbook and propoganda (from both sides) used over and over till it "sticks?" Is this time different???

Does calling attention actually maybe sometimes STOP things? I think so. Exactly the point I tried to make to Proto in the Iran War compilation thread. He said there was no war yet...I said yes there is...a propoganda war and a war for our minds. Or something like that.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It's interesting to think that there's a possibility that all of this could come to a grinding halt in a month or two. It's always interesting to really sit down and think that there are government officials and military commanders sitting down and actually thinking that we're going to attack Iran on X Day, at X time, and at X locations simultaneously.

There's likely also a group that looks at every nuke at the ready in China, Pakistan, India, North Korea, Israel, France, the UK, Russia, and us. They probably also follow where their nuclear subs are for first attack capabilities, and play "War Games" to see what places are likely to be hit. I think the only thing we've got going for us is that the MIRV's are far more accurate, so the yields have been greatly reduced. While it's a bad day having hundreds of 20 − 50 MT weapons deployed, it's far less of a bad day (though still a bad day) to have hundreds of sub-MT up to 5 MT weapons deployed.

If they are literally crazy enough to do it, it's likely going to be soon as we've ramped up about as much as we can before the first trigger is pulled in hostilities against Iran. There's only so much preparation that can be done before someone with an itchy trigger finger will twitch.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It's the smallest dog that yips the loudest and most frequently. :p

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Again? He's been doing this a lot lately. I remember he said WW3 was gonna break out before the World Cup was over LMAO!!!!

Jeez-the poor b@stard really has lost his ever loving mind.

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

www.nydailynews.com

His entrance drew a standing ovation from the crowd and shouts of "Viva Fidel." During the televised meeting, he discussed the dangers of nuclear war with the United States, Israel and Iran.

In a 12-minute prepared speech, Castro warned the world was on the brink of war if President Obama attacked Iran for not abiding by nuclear-arms sanctions.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Scary Letter From Fidel Castro In Regards To Iran War
turn on CNN now! Castro is speaking live!

[edit on 7-8-2010 by princeofpeace]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Again? He's been doing this a lot lately. I remember he said WW3 was gonna break out before the World Cup was over LMAO!!!!

Jeez-the poor b@stard really has lost his ever loving mind.

Interesting way of looking at it. As someone that's spent a majority of my life working with the government, I'd like to point out that the government is not one to do well with schedules. Things get delayed.

As the only world leader I've seen that actually has the guts to come out and say what millions are thinking (that an attack on Iran could quickly go nuclear and out of control), I give the man respect. This is one conflict we need to step back from and deal with the other debacles we've already got going on.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
My dad's the same age, sharp as a tack, and sees a lot of what Castro sees and how he sees it but from a more Eastern European slant. They have a different geopolitical perspective reaching back through the years. What they saw and lived through shaped their perspectives and opinions, yes, but there's value in documenting these. I'm glad he's speaking out and would hardly call him a loon.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

But of course you don't know what you're talking about.

Castro said that ONCE THE US STARTED INSPECTING IRANIAN SHIPS it would start because Iran would retaliate and the US would retaliate, ect...

So please call his BS only when the US starts inspecting Iranian ships and nothing happens.

Until that happens, calling him BS is calling him BS using a straw man.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You know, I was thinking. It's so very strange that we can sit here today and casually read and discuss ideas from a man who was once a leader at the center of one of the closest calls we may have had in the 20th century. Same with the blogs of others, like Ahmadinejad.

Do you ever wonder what someone like Castro could have done with the internet had it been available back then, when ideas didn't travel that fast or that far? Then again, they might have been able to shut him down all that much sooner too. Just weird to think about.

new topics

top topics

join