It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Crop on the Loose in America!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

nearly everywhere the two ecologists and their colleagues stopped during a trip across the state, they found GM canola growing in the wild.

Quote from Scientific American: Genetically Modified Crop on the Loose and Evolving in U.S. Midwest.

North Dakota grows tens of thousands of hectares of conventional and genetically modified canola—a weedy plant, known scientifically as Brassica napus var oleifera

"We found transgenic plants growing in the middle of nowhere, far from fields," says ecologist Cindy Sagers of the University of Arkansas (U.A.) in Fayetteville, who presented the findings August 6 at the Ecological Society of America meeting in Pittsburgh.

WOW!!

Most intriguingly, two of the 288 tested plants showed man-made genes for resistance to multiple pesticides—so-called "stacked traits," and a type of seed that biotechnology companies like Monsanto have long sought to develop and market. As it seems, Mother Nature beat biotech to it. "One of the ones with multiple traits was [in the middle of] nowhere, and believe me, there's a lot of nowhere in North Dakota—nowhere near a canola field," she adds.

Crazy!! So the GM crops spread on their own all over North Dakota (northern U.S. near Canada border) and in some instances the GM plant actually created a new trait on it's own to beat bugs!!

Do we really have ANY IDEA what we are doing to our planet with this stuff??
Genetic scientists remind me of the noob hacker that accidentally breaks into the FBI (then gets shot!)

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
existing thread....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edit To Add: Yours is a bit different so....
Yes this is not good and it seems already too late to stop it! I just hope in the end Mother Nature can correct what we have done, but messing with plant genes seems hard to overcome. I just hope Monsanto doesn't start widespread lawsuits as a result of their infection!

spec

[edit on 7-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks for pointing it out and linking existing thread.

join