It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most Conservative and Liberal U.S. States

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
www.gallup.com...

majority of Wyoming, Mississippi, and Utah residents identified as conservative rather than moderate or liberal during the first half of 2010, making these the most politically conservative states in the U.S. The District of Columbia had the greatest percentage of liberals, along with four New England states: Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, and Massachusetts.

Top 10 most Conservative

1. Wyoming - 53%
2. Mississippi - 53%
3. Utah - 51%
4. South Dakota - 50%
5. Alabama - 49%
6. North Dakota - 49%
7. Idaho - 48%
8. South Carolina - 46%
9. Oklahoma - 46%
10. Nebraska - 46%

Top 10 most Liberal

1. District of Columbia - 42%
2. Rhode Island - 32%
3. Connecticut - 29%
4. Vermont - 29%
5. Massachusetts - 28%
6. Colorado - 27%
7. New York - 27%
8. Oregon - 26%
9. Washington - 25%
10. New Jersey - 25%

I always knew I liked New England for a reason. I am definitely a Hard-core Liberal, but obviously only RI and DC are the only 'states' that have more Liberals than Conservatives. We all know America is a very Conservative country.

I believe I read a Gallup poll back in June that showed 22% we Liberals, 35% were Moderates and 42% were Conservatives.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
'Liberal' and 'Conservative' not usually mutually exclusive.

Nor are they particularly well-defined.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by LeftWingLarry]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Weird California is not on the liberal top 10

[edit on 7-8-2010 by cosmo740]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmo740

That's what I was thinking. The source article has a link for the top 10 Democrat and top 10 Republican states, and California shows up in that one though.. Maybe the Californians they asked just don't consider themselves liberal?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Is this about that whole Red Vs. Blue stuff?

The elephants and donkeys? Does it really matter?

I find it odd that New Hampshire isn't listed. I guess the definition of "conservative" for this study is more on "Are you a Christian?" instead of any political questions.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
reply to post by cosmo740

That's what I was thinking. The source article has a link for the top 10 Democrat and top 10 Republican states, and California shows up in that one though.. Maybe the Californians they asked just don't consider themselves liberal?

The sheer fact that gay marriage was even up for debate in California in 2010 would lead me to the conclusion that it isn't nearly as 'Liberal' as people make it out to be.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinalTruth14
I find it odd that New Hampshire isn't listed. I guess the definition of "conservative" for this study is more on "Are you a Christian?" instead of any political questions.

'Do you identify as a Conservative, a Liberal or a Moderate?' was the question more or less, according to the snippet box in the OP.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
California is NOT a Liberal State.

It has a couple high-concentrated Liberal Areas - - such as Los Angeles & San Francisco. And a few lesser populated areas such as: Berkeley/Mendocino.

Geographically - - most of California is conservative.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeftWingLarry
The sheer fact that gay marriage was even up for debate in California in 2010 would lead me to the conclusion that it isn't nearly as 'Liberal' as people make it out to be.

Good point.

Democrats are generally more liberal than Republicans though. It would seem to make sense that states with more Democrats would be more liberal than those with more Republicans.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

Originally posted by LeftWingLarry

Good point.

Democrats are generally more liberal than Republicans though. It would seem to make sense that states with more Democrats would be more liberal than those with more Republicans.

Aye, but then it doesn't necessarily follow that they will be on the top ten of a national 'liberal list'.

I mean, there's 30 states that aren't accounted for, after all. California probably has enough numbers of both liberals and conservatives that they don't qualify for either the top or bottom 10 of this list.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LeftWingLarry

There is a lot of debate regarding California so I figured I would give you some facts:

www.gallup.com...

California

Conservative - 33%
Moderate - 39%
Liberal - 23%

Tied with Maine.

2008 US Presidential Election Results in California

Barack Obama - 60.9
John McCain - 36.9

(It has a very good map that shows the regions where the Democrats have their wins)

Democrats are heavily located around the Bay Area and in LA County.
Republicans are heavily located in Orange County, Central Valley and North.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

There you go then. I'd also bet that most moderates would vote for the Democrats, who are more centrist than left wing.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Where would Georgia rank on that list? Atlanta is very liberal but the rural Georgia areas are very conservative. McCain won the state and we have Sonny Perdue as governor until January. I don't identify myself as a liberal or conservative as they are disguise names for democrats and republicans. I'm a libertarian who leans middle-right.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It has been observed that conservative places are usually within, or close to, the tropics. They have about the same climate and length of day throughout the year. And the liberal and progressive places are usually far away from the tropics. They have contrasting climates and length of day throughout the year.

In the USA, if the South had to rise again - I wonder if the states of the southwest would be included. California more than likely wouldn't be.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
California, I'd say, is an example of an exception to what I was saying previously.

From the movie 'Easy Rider' (1969) - it would be best for new trends that come out of California to first head north (in the USA) until Seattle (virtually the furthest north in the USA, and said to now be the most liberal city in the USA), and then head east.

Cape Town, incidentally, is divided between a liberal & progressive area, and a conservative area. I stay and work in the latter one, unfortunately.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
How does Cali not make the list of most liberal? most out here our insanely libeal

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
How does Cali not make the list of most liberal? most out here our insanely libeal

Perhaps in the 'most liberal states' they are much more 'insanely liberal' than in California.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
New England Liberal seems to be the pleasant and tolerant minded, peaceful, open to the world sort, whereas Berekely liberals for example, seem to be more of the radical, religion-hating, delusional hippie, whiny temper-tantrum-child sort. There are vast differences between "liberals".

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Good analysis, it is truly intriguing. I am surprised that is something I had not completely considered before. We all know there are different people who consider themselves Conservative just as there are different people who consider themselves Liberal, but the way you put it is good.

Would it be too much to ask how you came to that conclusion and to further elaborate on the subject?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Would it be too much to ask how you came to that conclusion and to further elaborate on the subject?

We talk to the different types of liberals here at this website all the time. We've also seen them in real life and when travelling say, to California or to Connecticut, to Detroit (dark side of Liberalism) or Boston (light side of Liberalism). The more sophisticated one becomes in any area, the more distinctions they can make. First one sees something as only good or bad. Then one sees the good and bad sides of something. Then one sees an entire spectrum. You having looked at politics for a long time have also see a wider spectrum of Liberals and Conservatives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join