Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

THE MEANING AND SECRET OF INCEPTION: The Movie.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MrOrange82

Must have been an alternate ending that I missed somewhere

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I'll discuss it with you. I thought the whole thing preposterous and annoying. I like Di Caprio as an actor but I hated this movie. More shoot em up, blow em up nonsense. Some nifty effects though like the streets of Paris curling up over your head.
Don't waste your money on this movie!!

I'll second that opinion. I've walked out on about three movies in my long life. Last week, this was the third one. I love sci-fi, but this was the Bourne movies/matrix movies twisted beyond excess.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

That´s a great qoute and I can relate to that.

Thanks for pointing out that Bill Hicks video, very cool.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
There were a couple of bits that I found interesting and been the top discussion, about the movie, in our family.

1. How 1 hour = 'X' amount of years in the dream world, depending on how many levels of dreams.

2. How dreams seem to always start in the middle - you never actually begin dreaming at the beginning. Just like, in our reality, we can't remember being born and just have to rely on family to tell us stories and show us photos and video from when we were babies.

I personally thought he was still in the dream at the end of the movie because the spinning thingy was shown close up and still spinning. Earlier in the movie he'd explained that he used it to see if he was still dreaming and it only stopped spinning if he was back in reality.

Are we dreaming our lives? No idea but if everything is energy and energy can only be converted/changed but can't ever end then that leaves the door wide open, for me, as to where my energy will go when I leave this reality.

As a side note, I've spent the past 30 years, or so, getting on the nerves of friends and family by constantly bringing up the subject of whether our reality is just a dream. Now I have an excuse to discuss the subject again.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Maya00a]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
reply to post by WHOS READY

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

That´s a great qoute and I can relate to that.

I've never understood why such things are needed in order to have those realizations. The problem really starts, perhaps as a symptom of the dependency, with chemically-catalyzed metaphysics, when one refuses or is no longer able or is unable, to progress beyond those realizations and realize they mean absolutely nothing at all in themselves. They are a step on a long ladder, not a final destination.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Deleted double post

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Maya00a]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Then I believe he was awake when he sees his children.

If he was awake why did the top keep spinning?

Remember the totem is the clue that the dreamer is awake.

If the top was spinning he was dreaming when it wasn't spinning he was awake.

also the end of the dream what was with the pin wheel in the safe?

Do you think that if it had been spinning he would have been dreaming?

[edit on 113131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I saw the first twenty minutes on the webz...and ended at a very interesting question...Can one implant a thought into another human as opposed to "extracting" information?

I thought the question was backwards...NLP and MK-Ultra were all about both but it is more than possible for someone who knows what they are doing to implant suggestions...

Seems like an interesting film but they juxtaposed reality in my opinion...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

That is a neat analogy on how we don't remember our first years and our lives start somewhere "in the middle" with fragments of memories eventually becoming a steady stream around a later age. And then only so much into our past can we remember clearly, with certain experiences especially remembered.

Let me let you know a dream can be experienced from the start. The few times I've done this it was like walking down a dark hallway that slowly becomes brighter so you can see. A good analogy is in "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" and how in that movie they walk down the closet corridor, it's dark and the jackets become tree branches until they get through all that cloudy stuff and into Narnia.

Some dreamers focus on entering dreams from the start as their method of lucidity, it's called a WILD - Wake induced lucid dream.

Also as someone mentioned dream within a dream, it's a common perception, caused by what is known as a False Awakening.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrOrange82

Butt did Cobb die in the End?

I can't figure it out, I think the children were still the dream.

Did he drown, the van was just another dream level,

You know how dreams are disjointed and random and nonsensical?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The top wobbles. If it's a dream it should spin perfectly. Who can be totally sure whether it would have fallen or kept spinning? If it starts to wobble you have to assume it will fall. They made sure this would leave us with questions, they didn't want to give it away, just have it wobble a little bit.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

He did drown in part two, but that should only take him into limbo as long as he is on sedative. If not on sedative dying in part two would have waken him up. Once the sedative wears off, he should wake up. I guess the hope is that he dies so late that he didn't have to spend so long in limbo to totally drive him crazy, or he's just a metaphysical genius and managed to keep his sanity.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyline74

"All the players in the dream were actually different aspects of Cobb".

Because in the psychology of dreams, people in our dreams are different aspects of our-self working out issues in our life, the children would be his innocent child like side of himself.

Throughout the whole dream he wanted to make it back to his children , and he did , did he make it back to childlike innocence?

If we really want to understand the film could we with dream analysis?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I saw the first twenty minutes on the webz...and ended at a very interesting question...Can one implant a thought into another human as opposed to "extracting" information?

Thank you for bringing that up that was an important point in the film.

I kept thinking he was supposed to change the outcome. by changing the sons thoughts, but never quite figured out what needed changing.

What did I miss?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novise

He did drown in part two, but that should only take him into limbo as long as he is on sedative. If not on sedative dying in part two would have waken him up. Once the sedative wears off, he should wake up. I guess the hope is that he dies so late that he didn't have to spend so long in limbo to totally drive him crazy, or he's just a metaphysical genius and managed to keep his sanity.

I don't know,

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

The problem really starts, perhaps as a symptom of the dependency, with chemically-catalyzed metaphysics,

Didn't they have dream junkies in the film?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

How 1 hour = 'X' amount of years in the dream world, depending on how many levels of dreams.

How dreams seem to always start in the middle

Thank for reminding me those were interesting points,

Do all dreams not have a beginning?

I remember some do have endings?

I think.

I used to dream in full color full length film.

BTW have you ever had a dream that seemed like you just watched a movie and thought you were asleep for hours, only to wake up and find it had only been asleep a few minutes.

So yes, time is out of wac in dream land.

[edit on 123131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I've never understood why such things are needed in order to have those realizations. The problem really starts, perhaps as a symptom of the dependency, with chemically-catalyzed metaphysics, when one refuses or is no longer able or is unable, to progress beyond those realizations and realize they mean absolutely nothing at all in themselves. They are a step on a long ladder, not a final destination.
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I´m not saying it is needed, everybody is free to do what they want, I´m just saying I had a similar experience.

You sound a bit condescending.

I don´t know why you felt a need to preach, while I just said that I could relate to that statement.

This problem you speak of seems based purely on assumptions, it has nothing to do with me or my comment anyways.

Do you feel that I´m cheating and that it´s not fair or something?

Sorry for going off topic.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I guess the dream junkies could be real, but I have a hard time believing it. You need REM sleep really to dream outright. Maybe if the sedative induces REM sleep as well. I guess there are things like this in real life, like sensory deprivation tanks. But then I guess the dream junkies could find a way to suppress their REM sleep through various drugs and sleep deprivation, then go in to the chemist's basement REM deprived and get on a sedative, and have tons of long vivid dreams... But that would be no fun "preparing" for that. It would take 3 to 4 days to be sure you got your money's worth, and you would not be a functioning human being in the preparation phase intentionally depriving yourself of REM sleep to prepare. You'd be in a lousy state to recall anything or have an control, or even to relax, you'd basically be "wired" and not yourself.

Dreaming is a very natural thing, you can only REM sleep so much. Which is why it's good to make your best efforts in tune with your longest REM cycles, which is late into your sleep, hours before you wake up.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
I think the movie was so well put together so unpredictable and I believe the director wanted us to decide on whether or not he was dreaming at the end or not, its all up to us to figure it out. Best flick this year!

He didnt. The item started to wobble, meaning its losing speed. Once that happens, there is no other possibility than it falling within seconds.

So it was not a dream.

Good movie though.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Copernicus]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join