It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE MEANING AND SECRET OF INCEPTION: The Movie.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
If you haven't seen it don't read this.

Does anyone want to discuss the movie, Inception?

Did you understand what was happening?

Did you enjoy it?

Was it frustrating?

Oddly enough I wanted to fall asleep,

Was it or was it not all a dream?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
how do you think this figures in the grand scheme of things?-

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

if you haven't watched it before, check out- bill hicks, a positive drug story on youtube!!

so whats your thoughts on the movie and life... how do we manipulate things?

peace out, will be back later.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I think the movie was so well put together so unpredictable and I believe the director wanted us to decide on whether or not he was dreaming at the end or not, its all up to us to figure it out. Best flick this year!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'll discuss it with you. I thought the whole thing preposterous and annoying. I like Di Caprio as an actor but I hated this movie. More shoot em up, blow em up nonsense. Some nifty effects though like the streets of Paris curling up over your head.
Don't waste your money on this movie!!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I'll discuss it with you. I thought the whole thing preposterous and annoying. I like Di Caprio as an actor but I hated this movie. More shoot em up, blow em up nonsense. Some nifty effects though like the streets of Paris curling up over your head.
Is there anything you did like about it?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Thanks for posting guys,

I came to the conclusion the whole movie was a dream.

Was there any part you think was reality?

My son and I have discussed this on and off since last night,

One good thing is it leads to fun conversation, I have to watch it again.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.

We write the story.

Life is a dream.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Did you understand the roles the different actors played in the dream?

All the players in the dream were actually different aspects of Cobb.

[edit on 083131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
More shoot em up, blow em up nonsense. Some nifty effects though like the streets of Paris curling up over your head.

So it ends up being a dissapointment like Avatar where, initially, it has a good premise and message but ends up morphing and devolving into banal action crap where every character is a stilted stereotype of the assigned role?

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by WHOS READY

We write the story.

Life is a dream.

Ok, so it's Row, Row, Row Your Boat on steroids like Avatar is rather loosely Dances with Wolves in space.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

"All the players in the dream were actually different aspects of Cobb".

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that before.

What made you come to this conclusion?

IF, Cobb was dreaming for the entire film, couldn't the players exist in reality? (his friends/colleagues, family, his wife and other outside contractors), + be actually trying to wake him up from his dream/limbo?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

dehahs.deviantart.com...#/d2unnlj

I think this might come in handy.

No thanks

you see left picture is time sheet Inception, click to enlarge

[edit on 7-8-2010 by MrOrange82]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

[edit on 7-8-2010 by MrOrange82]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I agree. He's still dreaming. When his wife jumped off the building she went back to the real world. He's in his own dream from the beginning to the end.

His homecoming was just him rationalising a way back to his children within the context of that dream. Thats why they don't age, are in the same place with the same clothes etc.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think it started in reality. I think it ends and he is in reality. When he goes into limbo, his wife is in there telling him it's real there. There is no way limbo was "reality." That's a U-Turn from her thinking when she killed herself. When him and his wife were truly in dreams together, they created a whole world over several decades. If the seeming reality, the starting point, was really a dream, then his wife could have also "visited" him there. She only "visits" (as a projection of his own) in his dreams. And obviously she'd be trying to visit him in his "mistaken reality" every night to convince him it was a dream. She made the mistake in thinking reality was a dream and killed herself.

Though I admit that if there was a part 2, I would be very satisfied with the "twist" that SHE WAS RIGHT! However they might explain it away, maybe saying Cobb had somehow subconciously tricked himself into being sure that his "dream reality" never gave him any dream clues.

I think it was a wonderful movie, it just sucked the audience in so well. I was disappointed in the way lucid dreaming was portrayed actually, but as a movie it was great. People put their standards way too high on movies lol, it's a movie enjoy it for what it is.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Novise]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This topic is akin to Lucid Dreaming, where you are consciously aware of what is going on, that you are in a dream state and can learn to manipulate what goes on, rather than just following the storyline, only to forget it all later.

As to the subject of dream v reality, I will have to say that I have always been of the mind that there is a fine line between both worlds. You truly do live in them both, based on your current state of consciousness, so they exist simultaneously, yet strangely apart.

In recent years, I have begun wondering which reality I am truly in. My dreams have become such vivid life dramas, that I have begun to wake up when I go to sleep...in both states. I dream very vividly and can to this day document the events of what I perceive to be my dream world, even weeks after.

In both states, I have work, play, stress, relaxation, chores, and other "normal" events play out. I see myself in both realities the same, just a normal person. I have different people, places, lifestyles in my life in both states, each unrecognizable to the other.

So, where am I? I am dreaming as I write this, or am I awake? Which reality is getting this message?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think that giving Hollywood the power to know you are vulnerable to a movie is a dangerous thing. However I feel it is already too late for that.

In my opinion, we, in the awake life, have the ability to create our worlds if we choose to dream deep enough.
Sort of a "Manifest Destiny". I have proven it for myself.
I have had a dream inside of a dream already, it took me a while to figure that out after I woke up.
In the movie, after the opening scene when he was hired by the oriental man, and meets the girl whom was the architect, that was his reality, After her training and the recruitment of the others the dreams begin.
Then I believe he was awake when he sees his children.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
I agree. He's still dreaming. When his wife jumped off the building she went back to the real world. He's in his own dream from the beginning to the end.

His homecoming was just him rationalising a way back to his children within the context of that dream. Thats why they don't age, are in the same place with the same clothes etc.

That's the best explanation I've heard for the same clothes, same age, place, etc.

I like to consider both angles and both have their arguments, though I picked he's in reality based on what I think is the best choice.

One thing I guess could be considered is that she is right. But also, she's not exactly right. In other words they went deeper than they thought or remember, there are more than 4 levels - it doesn't really make sense that there would be some ultimate limbo level, just degrees of it.

So when she killed herself she wakes up, but over time she discovers that she is in yet another dream. She tries to visit Cobb but it does no good, so sadly she gives up on him dying soon and "moving up" anytime soon. Romeo and Juliet style, she takes her life on this next level again and now moves two levels above Cobb. And when Cobb dies in the dream, it sent him up yes, but again a level that she's not in.

Hope that makes sense or maybe introduces the idea each can refine for themselves.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

When I got really into dreaming for a few weeks (I had a lifestyle dedicated to it), I began to feel that we are always dreaming, and we are aware of it in certain degrees at different times. When awake we just aren't aware of a very small and silent dream, but it never really dies all the way, dream activity never truly reaches absolute zero. Obviously in REM sleep we are quite aware of it, but could also be unaware of more subtle dreams that always occur.

Most people don't even remember their rem sleep dreams while they obviously happen. Anyway what you said reminded me of that. Just a feeling, there is no scientific evidence for that feeling I had.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I also want to say that you don't always need dream clues. Sometimes you can tell just by the way you are feeling. In a way your body is a "totem" or your self. Nobody knows how you are feeling. Well this gets into how the architect premise of the movies is flawed, and the whole "Who is in who's dream" thing.

Because the architect would also have to produce every dreamers body, not just the environment. If you are a point of perception then there is no distinction between the way your hands look and feel to you, and the way the wall looks. If the architect has to make the wall, they have to make the hands.

But I was trying to say even without clues, when you are in a dream long enough, sometimes you just know because it "feels" different, that's sort of a clue in itself but shouldn't be overlooked, general awareness of "Isness" I guess you could call it, can lead to lucid dreams - and that Isness is supposed to be universal.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

This is all you need to know.

Butt did Cobb die in the End?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join