It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dead' Baby Wakes Up in Casket During Funeral

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I am surprised that no one had mentioned the origination of the term "Wake".

The entire purpose of the event was to assure that the person wouldn't possibly awaken again, before burial, after having been presumed to have been dead.

Nevertheless, this just goes to show that our souls and our physical bodies are separate and as with death, can become disconnected, appearing to be dead, only later to be reconnected and apparently coming back to life.

It apparently wasn't time yet for this individual to pass on and cross over.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Just to give some cultural context to this. Generally when people die in Mexico, they are buried within 24 hours.

It really does happen that quickly. Unlike in the US or UK for that matter where there is a delay before any funeral service happens (my wife finds this very strange). In Mexico, it's direct to the church and bang into the ground / cremation!

So if the child had been declared dead, then it would not be a long time before it found itself in the box. and could have been breathing in there unnoticed, until it started making noises.

New born baby, in a dark place? dot exactly a strange environment for it to find itself in!

Just glad they found it in time!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
They should dehead it. Zombies are powerless without their heads.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is why I want to be cremated. The thought of waking up in a coffin ( however unlikely ) scares the hell out of me

It was common enough in Ireland years ago for people to 'come back to life' after being prenounced dead, this was mainly people who had drowned, something got to do with the body shutting down and inducing a death like coma state or something like that.

* shudders *

Yep definately burn me to make sure.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by Chillimac
There would be 2 babies screaming after I ran to the nearest corner and birthed a new one on the floor.

So, in the midst of this preparation, which is pretty intense and is conducted without much chit-chat, the cadaver farted.

Farted. And it was a big one.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by Doc Velocity]

LMAO!! I used to work for a funeral business down in Florida, and I had to go pick up this big guy and take him to the FH for embalming, and he let out this HUGE post mortem fart.....man it cleared out the FH, thank god it was only me, my coworker and 2 embalmers there at the time

As far as embalming goes, its not mandatory, even here in the US, its mainly done if there is a open casket viewing or the body is being transported elsewhere. The baby had a closed casket funeral so likely it wasnt embalmed

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
UPDATE

The Baby Who Was Thought To Be Dead But Came Back To Life Has Died

Dead/Alive Baby Has Died

God Bless its little tormented soul.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

aww that is really sad.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Good God, if it isn't bad enough it is too worse for words. Culturally this will impact these people and this community for generations.

Had the child survived it would have been celebrated as a gift and surrounded by mysticism. They call them Curanderas and they are quite prominent in the Cultures of Mexico.

We can pray that the family can overcome such a shocking thing. Spiritually there may be more to this for those that witnessed this sad story.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

In fact, in Europe it's an old tradition in many communities to wait a good long time before burying a person, just to make sure the damned fellow is actually dead. They tie a string from the corpse's hand to a little suspended bell, so that if the deceased wakes up, he'll alert the mourners to the good news.

Just wanted to point out a couple things (I couldn't even make it past the first few posts without seeing blatant inaccuracies =/ What has ATS become?!)

(1) "Europe" is not a single nation, culture, or tradition-sharing group

(2) There isn't a tradition of "waiting a good long time" in most communities in across Europe, especially those in Western European nations.

(3) The idea of "safety coffins" wasn't the tradition of any community, it was implemented during the 18th century cholera outbreak in very few cases, and only at the behest of a few nobles and clergy. There are also no known cases of these coffins being used to save anyone, regardless of how often they were used.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

People WAKING UP in their coffins is pretty common throughout Latin America and other underdeveloped parts of the world, actually.

No, the embalming process is not so universal as you might think. In the United States, we have very strict laws regarding the disposal of bodies and the transportation of bodies and so forth, which dates back to the Civil War, believe it or don't, when we had tens of thousands of dead bodies being shipped around the country by boat and wagon and railroad. That's where all our draconian embalming laws originated, okay.

So, just because we grew up in this American society of mandatory embalming doesn't mean the rest of the world follows suit.

In fact, in Europe it's an old tradition in many communities to wait a good long time before burying a person, just to make sure the damned fellow is actually dead. They tie a string from the corpse's hand to a little suspended bell, so that if the deceased wakes up, he'll alert the mourners to the good news.

People used to get buried alive all the time back in the very old days, like from the 19th Century and on back.

You can tell this is true because they've dug up coffins that were demolished on the inside from the "deceased" frantically trying to claw his or her way out of the box, six feet under.

Pretty grim.

And, yeah, you've got the ZOMBIES down in Haiti and Trinidad, who represent REAL cases of human beings who are very insidiously deprived of their lives and sold into slavery.

— Doc Velocity

Just a friendly hello to warn the information expert that someone must have hi-jacked his account. You there doc?

historymedren.about.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Lol, yeah I had a buddy that was a mortician and he used to go on about that stuff. He had a professional make up artist as well to make the dead person look not as dead in different light conditions, or cover up wounds/blemishes.

I had to do a lot of funeral details and packed a lot of coffins. I always cringed when it was a heavy person and they would shift around and knock against the sides. . Totally weird and I never really got used to it.

I see the baby has died a second time. Sad. What a roller coaster for the family. I wonder if they will have a longer wake this time just in case. I would.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
Just wanted to point out a couple things (I couldn't even make it past the first few posts without seeing blatant inaccuracies =/ What has ATS become?!)

Never said it was. You're attempting to attribute your lies to me. Next?

(2) There isn't a tradition of "waiting a good long time" in most communities in across Europe, especially those in Western European nations.

I never said anything about "most communities"... Those are YOUR words, not mine. Next?

(3) The idea of "safety coffins" wasn't the tradition of any community, it was implemented during the 18th century cholera outbreak in blah blah blah blah mumbo jumbo file gumbo

I never mentioned anything about "safety coffins"... Again, your words, not mine.

Blatant inaccuracies of your own making attributed to me, eh?

Whatta maroon.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann
Just a friendly hello to warn the information expert that someone must have hi-jacked his account. You there doc?

historymedren.about.com...

This link doesn't have anything to do with what I said. The fact of the matter is that patent offices in Europe and America alike had MANY patents on file for devices to alert those above ground to the predicament of those buried alive. These were patents for devices that were actually used in cemeteries in Europe and the United States, designed to provide air and a means of calling for rescue from the grave.

Like it or not, being buried alive was a very real fear in centuries past, regardless of the opinions that these ignorant and cynical "urban legend" blogs offer.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It seems you've forgotten your first post, I'll cite the specific bits I was pointing out with my post to make it a bit easier on you.[

A) My post:

In response to this part of your post:

In fact, in Europe it's an old tradition in many communities

Your use of "in Europe" without any further descriptors implies you are referring to all of Europe. This is no different than people talking about "African culture", when in fact they are referring to Bushman, Zulu, Somalian, or some other group, as there is no cohesive "African" culture.

B)My post:

in Europe it's an old tradition in many communities to wait a good long time before burying a person, just to make sure the damned fellow is actually dead.

My use of "most" wasn't suggesting that "most communities" have this tradition, nor was I suggesting you said this. My sentence, if you will actually read it, explains that most communities do not have such a tradition, which makes your use of "many communities" suspect, especially your lack of any substative evidence.

C)My post

(3) The idea of "safety coffins" wasn't the tradition of any community, it was implemented during the 18th century cholera outbreak in blah blah blah blah mumbo jumbo file gumbo

They tie a string from the corpse's hand to a little suspended bell, so that if the deceased wakes up, he'll alert the mourners to the good news.

People used to get buried alive all the time back in the very old days, like from the 19th Century and on back.

These devices you've mentioned are called "safety coffins". I won't fault you for not knowing this (though, you DID bring them up). As I stated in my quote, they were never widely used and they never saved anyone.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, Chuck. Perhaps you are better suited to writing fiction than fact. You certainly have proven yourself a gifted writer of fictional prose here on ATS.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

UPDATE

The Baby Who Was Thought To Be Dead But Came Back To Life Has Died

Dead/Alive Baby Has Died

God Bless its little tormented soul.

— Doc Velocity

NO! Now that is not fair. I really feel sorry for it and the family. They have to go though the heart break all over again.

They say that the first doctor is now being investigated for possible negligence. I wonder if they can get at least second degree manslaughter against him seeing as it is his fault the baby is dead.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by fixer1967]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Chuck, why do you feel the need to infect every thread with your brand of ignorance in such big bold letters? We are all here because we can read the standard type, thanks. Patents, shmatents. You are smart enough to know there are encyclopedias worth of patents for things that served no real purpose. Look up crazy medical devices sometime. There has never been a shortage of paranoia or people who profit from it. What there was not is your hoax about burrying people alive all over the place. I think you did best in your fiction posts about beating up on demons and stalking their daughters. Gloating about the GOM disaster and using patents to prove a problem existed are sad sad turns for you.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
Nobody even mentioning the possibility of a miracle I see.

I see...

Or that this could be the beginning of the Zombie revolution.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
Or that this could be the beginning of the Zombie revolution.

Or even that it was the brief home for the departed soul of "Lakeside Strangler" Charles Lee Ray?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Sad outcome...

Sadly, the baby died...but at least the parents got one more chance to see he child and know it's presence.

I must say though, saying it is impossible for anything to be a miracle based on it happening often doesn't sit well with a man who assumes all life to be a miracle in the first place.

But I guess that seems silly to anyone who assumes everyday to be less then miraculous and easy to place under the limited mind of man as "common" or "mundane" enough to answer with no hesitation.

Me? I refuse to say what happened here with any certainty , and refuse to discount anything as a miracle or not.

Then again, I personally think miracles are very very common and that they are happening endlessly around us.

Its just the cave-squatting, flat-worlder savage in me I guess...

KEEP WALKING.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

No, the embalming process is not so universal as you might think. In the United States, we have very strict laws regarding the disposal of bodies and the transportation of bodies and so forth, which dates back to the Civil War, believe it or don't, when we had tens of thousands of dead bodies being shipped around the country by boat and wagon and railroad. That's where all our draconian embalming laws originated, okay.

Doesn't say much about the quality of Medical Examiners in Mexico
Still makes me wonder if there are any unreported US cases of people actually getting killed during the embalming process.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join