It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Food Aid/Disaster Relief.. Why Bother?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I want to ask the question to gauge opinion after a very heated debate (almost fisticuffs heated) with my father and brother who wish to stop all foreign aid in disaster areas the world over..

Their views are based on the current geo political/economic environment and a sense of compassion failure due to attitudes garnered by the effects of multi-culturism and the Islamification of our local area (West Midlands UK)..

They say we should not send resources abroad as the country is broke and that charity should begin at home first.. There are many who live hand to mouth in the UK who should be our priority and we should make ourselves prosper, sort our own mess out before we help others..

They also pointed out that the aid we do send very rarely gets to those who need it the most.. That is true, especially in Africa were militias take the aid for themselves, also in Asia where the aid is stolen and sold on... I have seen American food aid bags of flour being sold outside a muslim owned shop in an area called Tipton, where 5 members from that community originated that were trained in Pakistan and fought against our troops in Afganistan... Which brings to their point that we should not feed our enemies.. It does not make them like us any better;

With the current disaster in Pakistan "Al Qaida" are filling the void where the pro west government are failing by feeding the people in many parts of the affected areas thus gaining support.. They have exploited the disaster for as a recruitment drive and possible take over of a nuclear armed country by winning hearts and minds.. It is also the staging area, training ground nd supply depot in terms of logistics and personel for operations against our troops.. They point out that money sent could end up in their hands to buy arms and the food will be feeding our enemies... A ludicrous situation.. However does that mean we should not practice the compassion we preach?
As a father myself I see the eyes of those beautiful kids who did not ask for any of this and are not responsable for the choices made by the adults.

I urge you then to leave politics aside and continue to give.. All politics has done is to dehumanize whole peoples and created attitudes like my dad and bro...

Compassion is like a muscle; if you dont use it you lose it.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Most aid money/goods does not reach the intended victims..
Even worse, in war zones as you have pointed out, it actually aids the enemy.

I also have a problem with how many elites are growing wealthier from aid money...

If I knew atleast 90% of what was donated actually reached those in need, I would be happy to give...

Sadly, sometimes 10%-30% is all that reaches them.....

[edit on 7-8-2010 by virgom129]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Interesting post, I was watching the news images from Pakistan last night, it was truly horrific and I'm surprised there has been no mention on ATS of the flooding.

The problem I see, is that we have become fatigued with so many disasters around the world that out only response now is "Oh Dear". We feel pretty helpless sat at home watching on our TV screens.

I do believe our Governments should support some governments financially, but when we are helping prop up a Rwanadan Government who ban opposition parties, you have to wonder if its going to the right people.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
dp

[edit on 7-8-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It's nice to see a young earnest person that cares as much as you do.

Hopefully you won't have to grow up too fast and learn what the world is really about too soon.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129

Most aid money/goods does not reach the intended victims..
Even worse, in war zones as you have pointed out, it actually aids the enemy.

I also have a problem with how many elites are growing wealthier from aid money...

If I knew atleast 90% of what was donated actually reached those in need, I would be happy to give...

Sadly, sometimes 10%-30% is all that reaches them.....

[edit on 7-8-2010 by virgom129]

I too have a problem with elites getting wealthy off the backs of misery, especially big pharma who charge criminally huge ammounts for much needed drugs.

If however we stop giving because only a small percentage of the needy get the aid, then nobody would be helped.. How then can we move forward to ensure that ALL the hlp gets where needed? That of course is the UN's responsability of which they have failed big time! This useless organisation needs to start giving value for money!

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Interesting post, I was watching the news images from Pakistan last night, it was truly horrific and I'm surprised there has been no mention on ATS of the flooding.

The problem I see, is that we have become fatigued with so many disasters around the world that out only response now is "Oh Dear". We feel pretty helpless sat at home watching on our TV screens.

I do believe our Governments should support some governments financially, but when we are helping prop up a Rwanadan Government who ban opposition parties, you have to wonder if its going to the right people.

Hense my belief that the UN is a waste of time.

Maybe we do have "disaster fatigue" and it is not possible to help everyone, but that does not mean we should stop...

I think the only answer is a re organsed UN with teeth.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Im nearly 40 years old lol.. And have been to war many times and seen first hand the suffering bought on people who are innocent by politics..

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
After the deaths of those aid workers in Afganistan.. I am starting to think my dad had a point.

No good deed goes unpunished huh?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I would say that the killed aid workers proves your point rather than your dad's.

www.monstersandcritics.com...
'In accordance with their families' wishes, the remains of two American citizens will remain in Afghanistan and be laid to rest here, in the country they selflessly and courageously served for so many years,'

They knew the risks full well, yet did what they wanted to do. Those are the kind of people I would want using my charity money.

In the US we have a real problem donating internationally. Any money donated to the International Red Cross has to go through USAID, part of the State Department. Which means it will go to, and in such a manner, as to enhance the prestige or political agenda of the United States. That's not particularly what I'm interested in.

A few years ago, when Pakistan had the big earthquake, I sent money to the Red Crescent through a bank in Scotland, hoping the UK didn't have the equivalent of USAID. After the big 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, I didn't send anything because I had a feeling that monies would be abused. And so it was. The Indonesians had the advantage in ending the Aceh independence movement, and in Sri Lanka, the government restricted aid from the Tamil areas.

It's a tough call sometimes. Trust someone else to handle donations? I think I have a place bookmarked here it is www.charitynavigator.org...
I'll have another look at that.

For your dad's side though, neighborhood charity at least is where you can see it. My county is planning on authorizing tent cities for homeless people. Recent state laws changed so they don't have to move so often, which was every 90 days, real pain some times.

State census shows 30% of homeless have mental health issues. Which due to the indifference in the US amounts to permanent homeless status. I'm trying to get in on the ground floor with this one, even if I have to buy tents myself and give them away. The county seems to be moving a bit too slow for me on this. They don't even have a way to receive donations yet. They claim they'll be ready by Oct 1.

top topics

join