It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Google Earth Map of Russia's Wildfires

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I came across this Google Earth map of Russia with an overlay of the wildfires as of July 31st. It looks like the whole country has gone up in smoke. The map is featured on a blog with links to a Russian site with more details.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f5c6ffc76fa.jpg[/atsimg]

It's quite amazing that mainstream media in the west are failing to provide good stories with the Russia fire situation. Half of the country, most of its populated part, is on fire. Some pics and videos are quite apocalyptic in nature. Authorities are proving next to useless - even a The Russian Navy's materiel base was reportedly seriously damaged, and as of yesterday there were reports of a fire approaching a nuclear research center in Sarov (former secret town Arzamas-16).

[edit on 8-10-2010 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Wow!
Who knew??? I didn't! Thanks for posting!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Wow this map makes one wonder...

and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

The scale of the fires are unreal when viewed on the Google Earth map. Have you seen the pictures of Moscow? The whole city is bathed in smog and people are still going about their daily lives. The BBC covered a wedding where tradition states that you have a photo taken in front of the Kremlin. The groom carried the bride through the smog for what must have been a very surreal photo. Everyone in Moscow is being asked to stay inside.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

On the back of the Gulf oil disaster, Pakistan's floods which have displaced millions, India's flash floods and Russia's wildfires you gotta ask yourself: What next?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by Wookiep

The scale of the fires are unreal when viewed on the Google Earth map. Have you seen the pictures of Moscow? The whole city is bathed in smog and people are still going about their daily lives. The BBC covered a wedding where tradition states that you have a photo taken in front of the Kremlin. The groom carried the bride through the smog for what must have been a very surreal photo. Everyone in Moscow is being asked to stay inside.

I *have* seen the pics of Moscow, and yes it's bad, but THIS thing you have presented is unreal IMO. There are large fires in my state (Colorado, USA) almost every year, but these things do not often engulf my entire country in any given year... I haven't paid any attention to "Google Earth" until now on this subject yet, only because it is not updated but every few years or so...However, that map you've linked is incredible. Thank you for posting this! BTW, I did view the link in that blog with the videos (from the Russian website)... Crazy times we live in! Again, thank you for the informative thread! ATS is where it's at. Kudos to you!

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Thank you and you are very welcome. I am still trying to take it all in myself, but it is pretty shocking.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I saw a few videos, crazy indeed.

If you seriously take a look at all that has happened in the past 2 years, the only quote that should come to mind is form the movie "Step Brothers" when Will Ferrel says to his mother, responding to the kick out, selling of house, and therapy treatment:

"WTF JUST HAPPENED"

Seriously.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Holy crap!!! I had no idea this is worse than the California wild fires of '08. Our skies for over a month looked like we were living on Mars. It was hard to bear even for those of us with tough lungs. You would walk outside and instantly your eyes burned.

Tonight I'll be praying, "Dear God - please send Russia some rain!"

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
jesus good lord! yuode think the entire country of russia is literally on fire! about to be wiped off the map
man that is horrible those fires over thier..hope they can cotnain it n put em out.. i was hearing a little on news, about them having a rare heat wave over thier...thier not used to that, at least i dont think so.
hat map is remenisant of something like nuclear missles goingo ff on em!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
how come the fires in africa and south america aren't being talked about?

firefly.geog.umd.edu...

to me the huge section of southern Africa that appears to be on fire and the huge area of south america that appears to be on fire seems worse than the russian fires

but that map could be misleading so can someone please explain?

Why are there concentrated giant fires in three regions of the earth at one time?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

what the?

there is more orange and yellow on that map than there is blue!

one, two, three .... stop barking fido!

uh... one, two, three, four, five.....

um, there is a lot,
et

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by ExPostFacto

On the back of the Gulf oil disaster, Pakistan's floods which have displaced millions, India's flash floods and Russia's wildfires you gotta ask yourself: What next?

More and more natural disasters are happening. It is a visible sign of the End Times we are living in.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
nevermind i just did a comparison of the russia fires to the United States of America and guess what

the russian fires if you placed them in america would basically mean that all of america was on fire except for like the very northeastern states and alaska.

It's the size of mainland united states, pretty much.

That concentrated area of fires is over 2000 miles east to west and 1000 miles north to south.

Crazy as #, you could drive for twenty hours and still be seeing the fires. Then again, could you even drive through that #?

russian-fires.ru...

Zoom out and compare to the United State of America. If you've ever driven across the US (I have) that gives you a very real and close to home idea of how supermassive this is.

Why isn't it on CNN?

[edit on 7-8-2010 by sremmos]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

It isn't being played out as dramatic as the map shows in UK media. The latest BBC report shows a couple getting married in Moscow amid all the smog! Ah, but that's mainstream media for you. Going by your analysis, the spread of those fires is insane. And there's no let up in sight. Apparently grain exports have been stopped in Russia due to shortages and bread will go up 15% in the UK.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

This is Bull....

On this map, the size of the actual fire is not in relation to the size of the icon it receives on the map. For example, I live in the Netherlands, (that little speck on the far left of the map).....My country is mostly engulfed in flames!!!....while I am enjoying a cup of cappuccino in my garden looking at what a appears to be an other beautiful morning. I am sitting smack in the middle of a couple of those flames!!

Should I be worried??

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

And this is Moscow now.

Yet people are still going about their thing. Usual Russian stoicism.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Good morning,

I am not sure the icons are supposed to represent the actual size of fire, just where it is located. Some pretty intense fires needed to engulf Moscow in smog.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

LarryLove,

Not saying the wildfires in Russia aren't severe. It is actually pretty bad down there right now but to take this map at face value makes no sense.

Peace

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Some video footage from Russia:

[edit on 7-8-2010 by LarryLove]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join