It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unfair criticism of the Christian religion...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Hello, fellow ATS members.

I have something to get off my chest, that I've put off for too long. It has come to my attention that the general consensus on the attitude towards Christianity is that it is based on hypocrisies. Many of you believe that it's a religion designed for the sole purpose of controlling and taking money from its believers, but to those of you who believe so I propose a question: Have any of you even read the New Testiment? I'm not talking about researching specific scriptures that give strength to your false claims, but have you actually read the book in it's entirety? Because if you did so you'd see that many of the claims you bring against the religion are criticized in the book itself.

For example in Matthew 23:13 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from men; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in."

Jesus in the above scripture condemns the Pharisees, who were the leaders of the church back then, for doing the same thing the leaders of the church do today.

Also Matthew 21:12 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves, and said unto them, 'It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.'"

Here's another for you "You cannot serve both God and Money." [Matthew 6:24.]

Also in Matthew 22:21 Jesus addresses the need of seperation of church and government when he tells the people “Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s” He is responding to a question about the Jews paying taxes here, he clearly tries to stress that God doesn't want money or material possessions.

You critics also say its a religion based on violence but in Matthew 26:52 he tells his disciple
"Put your sword back into its place; for those who live by the sword, die by the sword."

How about this one "I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite-fully use you, and persecute you" [Matthew 5:44]

Also Matt 5:5-9.
"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth... Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy... Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."

So though I respect your opinions I will have to respectfully disagree with your false claims for it is not the religion itself which is flawed, but its followers, excluding the true Christians.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by marsvoltafan74]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Jesus was a good guy, all the other main characters? Not so much.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The problem does not arise, in this case, with the words of the New Testament, but in the actions of "Christians" throughout their history. It makes me think of the bumper sticker that says "Jesus, Save me from your followers".
The message of Christ, love, mercy, charity- is a good message. But religion, by its very nature is intended to dominate and control. The religion of Christianity was NOT created by Christ, despite what the church founders claim. Inspired by, maybe, but not actually created.
Ultimately you'll always run into problems when at the end of the day the conclusion is, well, if you disagree you're going to hell.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyrossius Maxim

Religion by its nature is not intended to dominate and control but connect us with what we believe. The flawed nature is in the church not the religion. Never has a belief killed someone, only people who wrongly put that belief in action.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
What makes you think that "preachers" or other various custodians of Christianity even really care or believe what is in the Bible? They will use and manipulate what is in there to fit their own best interests. I am tired of people quoting junk out of that "book" and acting like it means something...it's like saying "oh if you read the book of law in [insert state] than you will not be a criminal...see it's right here!" Those who are corrupt or just plain stupid can read the Bible or a law book all they want to...it will not change what they are all about.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I guess some would call it a good story, but that's all it is...a fictitious story created in a time of superstition. It's very sad grown adults still believe these tales in 2010, children? yeah it's understandable how they could believe in it along with santa, the tooth fairy etc Anyone who needs a book to tell them murder or rape is wrong should really take a long hard look at themselves...and doing good deeds just to get a ticket in to heaven..not very righteous if you ask me. Religion is on a downward spiral in the west anyway, so at least i can take comfort in the fact future generations won't have to put up with grown adults thinking blind faith is a good attribute to have when in reality it should be frowned upon and questioned by any modern and educated society. If the bible 'changed' you it has nothing to do with the supernatural and in no way proves anything about the bible, many people have had life changing experiences from all sorts of things, including fictitious books other than the bible. Although it's always good to hear someone has bettered themselves.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Exactly my point, the flaws lie not in religion but in the people who follow it, and you're wrong about the scripture not changing how someone is. It changed me, but I guess the differance is if the person follows what the book tells you to do. The Bible much like a law book is instructions on what to do and what not to do, it is useless if just read and not abided by.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
"Christians" have made the religion and the church what it is today. You cannot really separate the two.
Now, if you believe the principals and spiritual ideas of the New Testament, as percieved by you, than you should hold onto your personal convictions. But your personal convictions and spirituality, just like mine, are personal and should not be applied towards everyone else. Its the difference between "religion" and "spirituality".

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Nyrossius Maxim]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Christianity is not only about getting a ticket to Heaven, but having a relationship with God, which you know nothing about sadly. You might believe its a fairytale but you haven't experianced what I have. Your mind tells you He isn't real but my whole being tells me He is. The only reason you haven't found Him, like so many others, is because you haven't seeked Him.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   

How convienant would it be if what we believed dictated truth but it is not so, to say different is egotistical and you refuse to believe there's a higher power than yourself.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by marsvoltafan74

It's true that Jesus was a rebel against the religious establishment of his time but what Christianity became after his death is a travesty. His teachings of love were manipulated and his religion hi-jacked and used to convert people by the sword, to go on crusades, to do inquisitions and the like. I personally don't have any big complaints about Jesus (I'm an atheist btw) but that doesn't change the fact that for centuries Christianity was in bed with government and was very corrupt and used to control.

I don't think that religion is primarily just a tool of control and I don't think that religion is always a bad thing but certainly it has done a great deal of damage. Aside from fundamentalist Christianity and how it is in bed with American politics I really have very little problem with ordinary Christianity.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

and so..what does the book tell you to do? kill adulterers and homosexuals? or are you just supposed to pray for them? Also why are you concerned about this supposedly "unfair" labeling of your cult? Isn't God, Jesus, Peter, Paul and Mary or whoever supposed to "tell" you what is fair. You are in deep, you can't even complain--instead you have to pray or talk to your preacher, this could be viewed as a sin...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Yes but Christianity also has had a lot of positive effects. Its members have fed the hungry, built shelters for the homeless, built schools in areas where no educational facilities are available, clothed the poor, even given medical treatment where it is not available or unafforadble. Although it has been the cause of bad it has also been the cause of a lot of charitable acts towards humanity.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by marsvoltafan74

Religion by its nature is not intended to dominate and control but connect us with what we believe. The flawed nature is in the church not the religion. Never has a belief killed someone, only people who wrongly put that belief in action.

My opinion:
Here is the problem I have with religion.

Religion is used as a podium for political power and agenda. The pope, the ayatollah, televangelists, Mormon leadership, JW, all of them do it. How many times do you hear, don't allow gays to marry because it's against the will of god? Religion is politics.

Religion kills, separates and hurts more people than it helps. Think of every "holy war" or think of the inquisition.

God made man. Man made religion. To say we need religion to commune with or be close to god is to say god can't guide your life without some guy to tell you how. Or some guy to confess your sins to. The more I think about it the more I think it is just silly.

When a follower of a religion doesn’t speak up against the church when the church is using its political muscle to hurt someone or take someone’s rights away, that follower is just as guilty as the guy making the decision.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Yes the Christianity of the modern world is milder, which is why I generally don't have a problem with it. Many denominations have adapted their beliefs to fit modern society quite well.

I generally only take issue with fundamentalists and people who want to take the entire Bible as the literal Word of God. As well as Creationists weaseling into the classroom and those in bed with politicians.

Those that merely want to follow Christ's teachings of love are fine by me

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mkultraangel

You define me based on my religion which is quite ignorant of you. You don't know me or what I've experianced. I use to not believe in God I use to follow pragmatic pursuits, but there is more to life than the pragmatic. And they were all human so they can't edict what is fair and what isn't, I just see a lot of hate directed to a religion which is based on love. I have never prayed to a preacher, and whats wrong talking to someone more knowldegeable in a subject then yourself. If you have a problem with a math problem you ask a teacher. You prove my point, you have never read the Bible. I can tell based on your assumptions on what its about. You are biased and narrow minded which people like you criticize Christians of being. You can't live with the fact theres something greater than you because that would mean you yourself were not the highest creature in existance.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

People were responsible for those good deeds, not religion. You don't need religion to be a good person and charitable... so the point you made is false imo.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by subfab

You're confusing religion and the church as being the same thing. Religion is a belief in something while the church is the institution of that religion. Religions don't kill people, power hungry people kill people

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's simple, christianity is based on hypocrisies, so don't complain when people point it out. At best, your religion has caused much conflict, at worst it has destroyed intelligence everywhere it reaches!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

The same thing can be stated about the bad things. People not religion

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join