It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down 7 year old's lemonade stand.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
''Multnomah County's top elected official apologized Thursday for health inspectors who forced a 7-year-old girl to shut down her stand last week because she didn't have a food-safety permit.''

www.oregonlive.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on (8/6/10) by gnosis111]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Looks like Codex may be implemented after all. Yes the apologized for it. But it looks as if to send a message to other free growers of produce and free trade.
Sickening.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
lmao

human stupidity at its finest!!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
It's understandable though. This wasn't a front yard lemonade stand. They set up shop at a very large public venue and food safety is always a concern at these things. Besides they did the reasonable thing and apologized to the girl and her family and told the inpectors to use their discretion in the future. The health inspectors were just trying to err on the side of caution and cover their butts. Now that they have it on record that they can use wider discretion I'm sure they will. No Codex here.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

i was thinking the same thing. anyone setting up shop at an organized gathering, (art walk, county fair, etc) should have a permit. just because it's a little kid with a lemonade stand doesn't justify not following procedure. heck, you need a permit just to have a yard sale.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

Originally posted by gnosis111
''Multnomah County's top elected official apologized Thursday for health inspectors who forced a 7-year-old girl to shut down her stand last week because she didn't have a food-safety permit.''

Just another example of the idiots that our taxpayer dollars go to support.

I got to tell ya, if those lame brains worked for me, I would have fired them after I made them apologise. Then I would have told them not to bother to use me for a reference.

Government workers........what a bunch of losers. I wonder if Cogen actually apologised to the 7 year old, or just to her mother?

edited to add....The inspector had to go for backup to deal with the 7 year old......no wonder our country is going bankrupt.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Oh yeah, because once you pay for the permit your lemonade is definitely going to be much safer. It like a law of physics.

Just the act of submission guarantees quality product will be sold.

Or something.

But that is the sad logic in use here.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

I think you need to review the names of Governments, and ATS rules on titling threads based on a news article.

The Federal government had nothing to do with it. It was local government. I suspect it was likely the Oregon Department of Human Services that did this, and I'm not remotely surprised.. as they are extremely regulated.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Posted already:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also like gnosis111 said, it was local government not federal.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Zaxxon]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Whoops, posted this right before bed. And ambien was starting to kick in.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Ahhh... So the law shouldn't apply to cute 7 year olds.

Would it have been OK if the health inspector let his neighbor have an unlicensed stand because he knew he was a good guy?

I guess that's why kids are used as drug mules.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayson
Ahhh... So the law shouldn't apply to cute 7 year olds.
Not as much as it does for adults. That's why children are usually tried in a special case as children where all the rules are different in the courtroom.

You have to use common sense sometimes.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It was a mistake on the part of the inspectors. Yes, this little girl was technically in violation of their laws however there was no need for the inspectors to intervene.

Portland Oregon actually has a thriving outdoor food scene. For a city of around half a million they have around 6000 registered "street meat" vendors selling all types of food. There are plenty of cities that are much much larger that don't come close to having that many street vendors. And the few they will have simply sell hotdogs.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaxxon

Still really don't think she should be allowed to serve drinks because she's a child.. and I think politics played too much in this.

Im surprised the counter broke down TBH.

top topics

join