It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do drugs need to cost $4,500 a months?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
For reasons I'm not going to disclose here, I'm somewhat familiar with the world of pharma and what it does in this world.

Now, read this:

Imatinib is effective in stopping the spread of the metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor, but it also costs $4,500 a month.

Full link is here.

Now, I'm fully aware that research cost etc can be quite high. However, I'm also acutely aware that in one talk show a pharma guy was confronted with the fact that basically same compound was marketed at prices different by a factor of a 1000, to sheep farmers and human patients. Same cancer happens in humans and sheep, you see. His reply was "it's a different market".

Somebody please wake me up. I have cancer patients in my family and proponents of free for all capitalism at this point make me sick. They would say it's my fault I was not born a sheep.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Sadly it's just another of many examples of how we have to pay cash for the "right" to live.
Pretty evil if you ask me.

[edit on 6/8/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
This article is a couple years old, but I think it clearly states why drugs are so pricey and it's not because of research and development.

ScienceDaily (Jan. 7, 2008) — A new study by two York University researchers estimates the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spends almost twice as much on promotion as it does on research and development, contrary to the industry’s claim.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I mean yeah...

But where is the point we as humans feel such disgust we do something about it?

As a member of a mental race, should I even care about it?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Why not?

We live in times where people willingly pay far more per gallon of bottled water than they do for gasoline.

People are genuinely gullible, easily convinced that they need these pills or those for this or that, and that they can't live without it, or will live much better with it (despite potential side affects).

If people are willing to pay, why not?

It's a free market world... A world where water in a bottle costs thousands of times more than the same water from a tap in your home.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
no, i spend way less then that on drugs every month.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
If people are willing to pay, why not?

Read the link... They can't.

Your post is utterly shallow.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Do drugs need to cost $4,500 a month?

Not when -in most cases- cheaper, healthier, better-for-the-environment-and-economy 'drugs' have been around for ages...

Large arsenal of links to medical studies on cannabis
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Okay so you don't like shallow... How about this...

It is all related to viability and contributions to society.

Life saving meds are overpriced so that it is cost prohibitive for the poor.

If you can afford it, you are worthy.

If you can't please go home and die quietly.

Is that too shallow?

It is what it is.

Why do you believe health care reform was deemed so essential, yet will ultimately do little to alleviate the high costs of drugs?

R&D and legal funds are the reasons they will give you for the insane cost of prescription drugs, but ultimately it comes down to what they can get from those who can pay.

Everyone else is on their own, either find a way to pay, or die.

It will never change.

Would you like some bottled water with this post now?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

It's not a matter of being willing to pay. Often it's a "cough up the money or die" situation. Legalized extortion.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
For reasons I'm not going to disclose here, I'm somewhat familiar with the world of pharma and what it does in this world.

Now, read this:

Imatinib is effective in stopping the spread of the metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor, but it also costs $4,500 a month.

Full link is here.

Now, I'm fully aware that research cost etc can be quite high. However, I'm also acutely aware that in one talk show a pharma guy was confronted with the fact that basically same compound was marketed at prices different by a factor of a 1000, to sheep farmers and human patients. Same cancer happens in humans and sheep, you see. His reply was "it's a different market".

Somebody please wake me up. I have cancer patients in my family and proponents of free for all capitalism at this point make me sick. They would say it's my fault I was not born a sheep.

WHY DON'T YOU TRY ALTERNATIVES TO THESE TOXIC AND DANGEROUS DRUGS.

theses drugs actually CAUSE cancer.

do you ever do background research?

I find it amazing that people with access to google are unable to type "alternative cancer treatments" or some variation thereof... and have the attention span of a gnat.

you can't even use ats search to find people/forums about alternatives to the toxic drugs.

astonishing.

instead you come here to whine about the expense of some toxic crappy drugs which don't work as evidenced by the 500000 killed every year in precious america by cancer.

you are right it your fault for being not being born a sheep but behaving like one.

they called sheeple.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by nobodysavedme]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
My neighbor across the street is only 23, but he works selling drugs to doctors. He told me he makes over $110K annually.
This is one reason your drugs (and mine - Im on 4 different kinds) are so expensive.
I can't imagine what the CEOs must make.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Drug costs vary depending on what the insurance companies are willing to bear. In any case it is not Research and Development that is expensive, but a combination of factors, including marketing,extra compensations to physicians who are willing to prescribe these drugs, and so on.
The best approach is to take matters in you own hands, do research, talk to people who are not brain washed by Modern Medicine and pursue alternative approach that rings true deep in your heart.
In today's world, Internet is a great source of information. Look up Dr. Matthias Rath on Google. He is fighting on all fronts to help change the paradigm. Look up Dr. Simoncini of Italy and his cure of cancer. Frankly there are so many alternatives, and many of them better than the standard Chemo and radiation that the real surprise is why people are still literally dieing to follow that route.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
don't waste your money and health to modern drugs.

instead, research alternative medicine and herbal benefits. google aromatherapy, the benefits of essential oils, herbal supplements and teas, and you will never have to worry about synthetic drugs of any cost.

also, for any health issues, google Edgar Cayce remedies for any condition. the cures of any disease is available from mother nature directly.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yes, it ought to be a crime. If it was really and truly a free market, the prices wouldn't be what they are. The forces at work are so complex, you can't possibly do justice to them in a forum post.

But where is the point we as humans feel such disgust we do something about it?

There are so many things to feel outrage and disgust about, I don't know where we'd start. Pharma? Big Oil? The Fed? Mortgage companies? Wall Street? Terrorism? Government collusion in the nefarious dealings in all of the above?

The interplay and complexities are so pervasive, there's no conceivable way to get a handle on it, at least without picking out one and all focusing on that. Right now, it's the paralysis of analysis. And there you go - if your kid has cancer, no doubt where you'd start. If you're healthy but your house is in foreclosure, that's something else. If you live on the gulf... you get the point.

Something will be done about it when we reach that critical mass tipping point. It will be very ugly and painful. I'm predicting a whole lot more painful than most are capable of imagining, or at least willing to imagine.

It boils down to greed and fear, with ignorance and apathy as handmaidens. I want what's mine and maybe what's yours because if I don't get yours you might get mine and even then I want MORE. As long as I have what I need, I don't care about what you need. Handle it yourself, that's what I'm doing and if you can't well, too bad for you. Don't we see those attitudes expressed even on this site, where we know we have a core of people who at least care enough to have the discussion?

There's a very delicate balance right now. And maybe not so delicate. I have no idea how close to the tipping point we are, but we're closer today than we were yesterday.

I sure don't have an answer. For my part, I do what I can and help where I can. Sometimes not being a part of the problem is the best you can do. I do know this, you can't feel badly enough to improve the situation.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

join