It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I edit/fix my old threads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I’ve recently noticed that the external source codes have only allowed a very limited amount of information to be quoted. On average, it seems only a paragraph and a half is allowed before the quote is cut off.

I understand the reasoning behind this move is to discourage complete cut and paste jobs of stories and to encourage posters to include more of their own original content to better encourage discussion on this forum.

If this became the new standard for all current posting, this would make sense but, unfortunately, it has been enacted retroactively and all older posts and threads are affected as well. This has created a problem, especially in my older threads.

I was in the habit of always including the link to the story INSIDE the external link code AT THE END of the quoted material. Most all of these links have been cut off by the new standard. I’m worried that some mod might look at my old threads sometime and come to the conclusion that I am some type of serial plagiarizer who never bothers to post links to my sources.

I have noticed that if you hit the “quote” button, you can view the post in its entirety as it was originally posted without the abrupt cut off. It would be quite easy to go back and simply put the link on the outside of the external source code if I could only go back and edit my old threads.

I have over three hundred old threads and I would say that about 95% of them have been affected.

Is there any way I can go back and fix those old threads?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Probably not.

Personally, you're not the only one affected, everyone was affected.

I usually quoted 2 to 4 paragraphs.

While I certainly understand your plight I see it as a moot point.

It would be far too many threads to do this with as well.

You could U2U a Moderator and ask for assistance.

I would not however hold my breath if I were you as their head explodes.

I have almost 500 threads submitted too I feel your pain.

Luckily, I did not start quoting, until my last 2 to 3 years here.

And considering I post Amazon Reviews for books I recommend it bites.

Adapt, modify, improvise, and overcome.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
You could U2U a Moderator and ask for assistance.

I would not however hold my breath if I were you as their head explodes.

I thought about that but, like you said, I wasn't ready to hold my breath waiting for their reply.

I figured that this would have more of a chance of getting a responce and deserved discussion because I'll bet most everybody on ATS was affected by this change.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Agreed.

It will get a response.

And attention.

However, it will come down to a tightening of ATS T and C, nothing more.

Moderator's are always helpful.

But even they have limits to what they can do.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

FortAnthem.....

I know what you mean.

I stupidly put some YT vid's & large pictures in some text boxes.

Now they're all cut off & I can't even get to the links.

I thought of asking the mods for help, but I decided not to in view of not wanting to load them down with a whole stack of work.

I'll just make sure I do things "properly" from now on.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wow, I thought the mods always responded to these threads.

They probably don't want to touch this one with a ten foot pole.

I would suggest as a solution to this problem, giving posters a limited amount of time in which they would be able to go back and edit any of their own threads, maybe one day, in order to set things right which were messed up because of the new formatting.

If that would be too much work, maybe ATS should consider putting things back the way they were and just cracking down harder on violations in the future.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

FortAnthem.....

I know what you mean.

I stupidly put some YT vid's & large pictures in some text boxes.

Now they're all cut off & I can't even get to the links.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

I've noticed that you can get to the links.

If you hit the "quote" button, you will see the whole original post as it was originally presented, even the parts that are cut off.

It would just be a matter of going in there, copying your link, pic or whatever and you could get them back.

You could go back and post the links at the end of the old threads but, that would look kinda dumb, especially for the really long threads.

Still waiting for a mod reply...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

i don't think older threads can be edited, by you. i'm not sure if i understand what it is you are asking. Are you saying there is a problem with older threads due to quotes being too long or not quoting them correctly?

did you get one of the same things i got here at the bottom of this page?:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edited to add:
I see what you are talking about. i think the new standard and going back and re-editing all older threads by all members may take entirely too many manhours to fix everyones' threads that have had the same problem.

good news is that maybe ATS 2010 may not have this problem. This problem may not have an easy fix, but i hope i am wrong.

I still do the same thing without the snipits, I place my source/link in the quote box, but also at the top before the box, now.

i'm sure a mod will be around to take a look at this, or you might want to post in the ATS issues thread.

good luck with this,
et

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Naw, I already did a thread on that one, even got a response from the big guy himself:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What I'm talking about is that, recently only a limited amount of information shows up inside the [ ex] tabs. It wasn't this way in the past, there was no limit to how much we could put in there.

In my old threads before the change, I often had quite a bit of info in the [ ex] tabs and it got cut off.

It wouldn't be a problem if the links were still there but, not knowing there would ever be a limit to what we could put in the [ ex] tabs, I included the link inside the external link tabs and they were cut off.

Now the links to the stories don't appear in most of my old threads because the quote was cut off and the link disappeared with it.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Here's what Springer said in a reply to a similar thread:

None of this will be an issue in the very near future. We are dealing with several "legal issues" at the moment, once we have that resolved (this week hopefully) it will go back to normal.

That's really all we can say about it other than, we appreciate your patience.

Springer...

Source

For what it's worth...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Thanks for posting that. I hope the issues get fixed in the near future like he promised.

My old threads look like crap and it makes me look like a lazy *snip* who doesn't bother to post his links.

It woulda been nice if a mod would have responded though...

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

my only suggestion for now would be to re-post the sources in the thread.

i wish i could help more, honestly. but editing old threads is not anything i know about. i'm not sure what to tell you.

to get this right, you are just wanting to have them edited to include the links and sources that got cut off, right?

i can understand that.

best of luck, if nothing else and you are worried, i say re-post the source/link of the thread material again in the thread. that's the only suggestion i have.
-et

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Staff doesn't see every thread posted. If you had placed this question in the ATS Issues thread, you would have been addressed much sooner.

ABD is correct in what she linked from Springer. Once some legal issues get sorted out, things should go back to normal. There isn't a guarantee for that though. I guess the best thing to say is to use this as a good guide going forward. Small snippets of material from outside sources and keep your links out side of text boxes, quote, external or whatever.

I doubt you'll get any mod that is going to go back and change all your old threads for you to fix the links. I know I am not going to. For one or two links sure but I am not fixing every thread you have posted. Sorry, I just don't have that kind of time. We know what has happened and that the link may be in the section that has got cut off.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Thanks for showing up.

You're my new favorite mod.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yep, our posts are affected too. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.
Also, if you U2U a mod or mods, they may have a faster response time vs. browsing the threads here. (just U2U those that are more active than others)....

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
It's been resolved now!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Awesome thanks!

Although, in the future I'll remember to post my links OUTSIDE the external link codes, just in case.

Looking back on my old threads, I really did quote too much from the external links. I've learned my lesson and hopefully so has everyone else here on ATS.

In the future, I'll try to quote only enough of the source article to get the point across so I won't have to worry about something like this happening again.

I guess I had to learn my lesson the hard way.

[edit on 8/28/10 by FortAnthem]

top topics

join