It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

County Sorry for Closing Girl's Lemonade Stand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So they apologized for shutting her down..

how nice of them..

Just as business started picking up, two Multnomah County health inspectors surrounded her and asked the young entrepreneur for her $120 temporary restaurant license.

The clipboard-toting fighters of food poisoning told Julie and her mom, Maria Fife, that they would have to shut down or face a $500 fine. Thursday, the county apologized for the aggressive inspectors.

Julie and her mom were stunned by last week's edict, as were those operating the booths nearby.

Mom told The Oregonian newspaper that Julie was very careful about making the brew.

She cleaned her hands with sanitizer, used a scoop to handle the bagged ice and kept everything covered when it wasn't in use, Fife said.

Mom helped a tearful Julie take the bottled water, drink mixture and signs back to the car, and explained to her daughter that the inspectors where just doing their jobs.

But the story has a happy ending. After careful consideration (and media attention), Multnomah County decided that neither Julie nor other kids would need to pay the $120 licensing fee to run their lemonade stands..

well, good for them, I don't think kids should have to have a license to sell lemonade anyway..

[url=http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/multnomah-county-apologizes-for-closing-7-year-old-julie-murphys-lemonade-stand/19583647]www.aolnews.com[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Its always the average folk getting the law books slammed upon them no matter what they do!!

Its a slap on the wrist or a turning of the cheek most of the time a celebrity or sports star, or wealthy business person does something a thousand times worst though. Quite disturbing.

Really is disturbing.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Baloney

yep.....

getting uglier and uglier out there..

pretty soon your going to need a permit to wipe yer **s.. and you better have the paperwork on you too!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Its little girls like this that drives legitimate lemonade vendors out of business!

Using their mothers to subsidize raw materials, they are able to price their products to undercut the lawful lemonade vendors.

They never use unionized help, or make sure their seating capacity is in compliance with fire marshal regulations.

Then when faced with having to comply with the codes they come out with the crocodile tears and make up stories about how they just wanted to earn enough money to buy a puppy!

Disgusting, I say life in jail for the little girl and the death penalty for the mother.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
You know I dont think those inspectors should have allowed her to take the "lemonaid" mix home. They should have had Homeland Security there to snatch the little girl, her mom, and the "lemonaid" mix up for further testing.

She looks like a little terrorist to me, with that "Im just an innocent kid" smile holding her sign in that picture. I bet there was ANTHRAX in that powdered drink mix!

I'll bet if they waterboard her she will talk. I bet she will give up all the names of the other little wanna be domestic terrorists on her block.

Just like the government to let us down, AGAIN.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
LOL protoplasmic traveler haha that had me rollin, lol.

I had a lemonade stand when i was like 10 or 11, only charged like 10 cnets a drink in the mid 80's* didnt have many customers..jsut something a kid does , thats all. those health inspectors dont sound very human at all...in fact, they sound like tax collectors or someting, ready to pull on her dress to thier fac and demand theri cut of uncle slams money...sick sick sick sick
since this is supposed to be a business world* and does invovle money, as good business, i think the county should give her or her mom some moeny, for the inconvienice* its just good businesses. at least someone will get something rather than them all whording it all away form all of us*
compensation for the negligence invovled*

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
lol illusion haha yeah..giving up names. the kid a block down is playing jacks..thats techincally gambling under the table* 2 other friends were playing blackjoack and goldfish with pennies and nickels lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Now that, without doubt, is the most humorous thing that I have read in days. Thank you!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Now that, without doubt, is the most humorous thing that I have read in days. Thank you!!!

Your welcome, believe it or not these lemonade stand stories come up about three times a year.

The last one the little girl got a 35.00 dollar ticket.

The one before the little girl got run out of Central Park because the lemonade could be a terrorist plot.

A lot of these lemonade stand stories happen.

Personally I always love it when I come across a homemade lemonade stand, but this girl wasn't making home made lemonade!

She was using a pre-packaged mix.

Six lemons juiced.
One cup white sugar (really tastes better than natural or raw cane)
One quart water.

Mix and ice, how hard is that????

Come on mom, get it together and stop teaching your kid bad habits.

[edit on 7/8/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

SHE WAS AT A LARGE FAIR.

It's not some stand infront of her lawn.

She was technically opening a business, just because you are a child doesn't mean you are exempt.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by baddmove

SHE WAS AT A LARGE FAIR.

It's not some stand infront of her lawn.

She was technically opening a business, just because you are a child doesn't mean you are exempt.

Yep, and she was the CEO of that company, right? Her mother was her business partner(financial backing). Her quest in life, was to take over the powered drink mix company, through stock manipulation, and just plain corrupt business practices. Also, at years end, she was setting herself up for a $150 million dollar bonus, right?

And to think, she wouldn`t even spring for a 120 dollar license. What`s the matter with these corporate kids today?

I really really feel sorry, that the county she was from, didn`t get their license fee. Without that money, that county will now have a pothole that may not get filled. Oh what to do what to do. Maybe some bailout money would do the trick.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by FiatLux]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
She shuolda peed in one cp, quickly mix some sugar in adn tell the inspectors heres a cup of free lemonade on the house before you shut me down, best batch i ever made or made toady or something

so it was near a fair* most fiars rip yuo off anyways.i mean if its a fair that has those games, throw a bean bag at moving things, shoot em, thier all rigged to fail anyways..an palces like amusemnt parks, all have their own horror sotrys, usualy being osme 9 year old falling tioo his her death..
screw the fairs. this is america, its based on freedom principale and the chance to be somebody and make money.l..that in itself requires competition* something the big bad corporate places have forgoten about...its all about THIER money, and YOUR money becoming thier buisness.
let alone laying everyone off

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
maybe she can apply to nobama for a bailout

new topics

top topics

join