It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Robbed by Facebook Friend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Do you know who your virtual Facebook "friends" are? Think about how often you have posted a Facebook status update telling these friends about the great time you are having out for the evening or that you are so psyched to be leaving on vacation. Are your status updates putting you and your property at risk? Maybe so.

Woman Robbed by Facebook Friend

New Albany, Ind. — An Indiana woman is shocked when she comes home to find her home burglarized, but it was what she later learned about the robbery that has her issuing a warning to facebook users. Security camera recorded video as the thieves stole thousands of dollars worth of goods from Keri McMullen's New Albany home. On the night of the break-in, she made the mistake of posting a facebook status update from her cellphone that told folks she and her fiance were going out for the night. Investigators believe that's all the crooks needed to know they could break in.

Are your Facebook Status Updates sending an open invitation and extending the welcome mat to "friends" who might prefer to stop by while you are gone? Something to think about. I'm sure many folks on Facebook don't think about this happening when they give a play-by-play of their whereabouts.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This is about ten minutes from where I live.

What an idiot.

Also, if her page is public they do not have to be friends to see your status updates.

I amw aiting for the I am Gone Status update that results in robbers being met with a body full of bullets.

I may start posting I am gone updates when I am home just to see who will come try rob me.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
well maybe next time she wont be posting "me and my fiancee are going on the night to a restaurant and later we will have sex and a magical night couse we are so happy and rich and our life is perfect"

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm surprised, that SHE is surprised that happened.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I'm surprised that Lady Skadi is surprised that SHE is surprised..

try typing that!

serves her right...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So she said she was going out - but she must have had her address on Facebook for them to know where she lived. If not then they must have lived close to her and she knew them personally not just thru Facebook. When will people learn?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is so weird ! Ive just deactivated my account from FB ! These social networking sites are a godsend not only for fraudsters, thieves and scammers but for TPTB ! I cant DELETE my account (if anyone knows how please tell) But EVERYONE should be aware ! Very AWARE of who may be watching ! Peace to All !
www.tpuc.org

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Here is one I literally copied and pasted from a girl who's family is VERY well off...

"700 miles left to Sturgeous! So fun with the whole family for all of August riding around the US!"

So for a month, their palatial house will be vacant.

Edit to say: Her mother and sister are also updating their facebooks talking about how they are all on vacation.

How much of an open door is that!

ATTENTION: I'M ON VACATION, MY HOUSE, ALONG WITH EVERYTHING I OWN BESIDES WHAT'S IN MY SUITCASE IS UP FOR GRABS.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Jeanius]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Thats funny i just last night told of my girlfriend for doing the same damn thing.
She spat the dummy and told me she could trust her friends.
I think she is still angry with me lol she'll get over it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Since facebook has started the whole online phonebook thing, all it takes is looking up the number on a variety of online phone books to find out the person's address. I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Robbed by a Facebook friend?

Well, I guess he really wasn't a friend, was he?

On a more serious note, that's what happens when you're stupid in a "no stupid" zone. You don't post info like that online. Silly Rabbit.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProRipp
This is so weird ! Ive just deactivated my account from FB ! These social networking sites are a godsend not only for fraudsters, thieves and scammers but for TPTB ! I cant DELETE my account (if anyone knows how please tell) But EVERYONE should be aware ! Very AWARE of who may be watching ! Peace to All !

Well I'm really not the best person to take advice on regarding FaceBook - cos I usually stay away from it like it's maggot ridden road kill on a hot day!

But I did have a few spoof accounts over the past few years, thought I'd play games with peoples heads... I did notice that when you delete your account you have to leave it alone, if you do anything to it the account automatically re activates into it's fully functional form... I know there have been security revisions of late, but last time I played that was one particular 'feature' that gave me the creeps.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ProRipp

Here is an article that may help. I hate how FB makes it so confusing to just delete your account.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

What feature was that?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

That's 'feature' in inverted comers - I doubt it's a publicised one... I found out while experimenting with numerous spoof accounts, I had the logins in a .txt file so I could remember them with some notes. I deleted one of the accounts and a day or two later I accidentally logged into the 'deleted' account - without a word of warning it was back up and operational as if I had never requested it's deletion.

Of course I knew full well that nothing is ever really deleted from facebook, it's just taken and stashed in the network somewhere. - Still scary tho.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Well isn't that lovely!

I hope mine is really deleted. I am scared to check.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I only post junk on mine. No real data on there at all.

People are too fast and loose with information online. I'm not sure why they trust what they enter into their computers.

I was explaining to someone the other day about online fraud - shocked is putting it mildly.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

In others words deleting your account does't really delete your account! Rememer that people!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
to delete your acount,deactivate it,and then dont acces it atleast 2 weeks,and it will be deleted,all your info will still remain in theyr secret database,but the acoutn wont exist anymore on the site so still nice.
god how can you not rob these people?
"im so happy on a vacation"
"im so happy with my boyfriend nananan blalalal " oh ^# you
funny that before i also posted a pic of all my money for a moving.before spending it.it was like 1000 euro in a photo,wonder how come no one robed me,but all coworkers increades theyr hate towards me,even though they get bigger salaryes.

top topics

join