It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bit of a booting problem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by redblue
Could be the power supply has gone flaky. Check the powers supply and motherboard for bulging or leaking capacitors.

If you see any that part needs replacing.

I dont see how that would affect how the machine boots, and the motherboard has detected this before and i changed the power supply.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
Sometimes I have problems booting from certain LG DVD burners.
Try booting from a different drive that is not LG.

I tried 3 different drives from 3 different companies. Its not the CD drives or the CD

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by shiman

Have you tried resting your BIOS to the default settings? You should be able to load either default, fail safe (I think) and optimum settings... Try default or the fail safe... Then you will have to remember to re order the boot order again to boot off CD/DVD and see how you go.

Also that message about flash is interesting... Have you left a flash drive in any of the USB's? If you wan't to try booting off a USB flash drive that should be possible even on an old bios, the boot option is usually USB zip or something - you have to google your specific BIOS version.

I have tried quite alot. Yes, i tried resetting back to default, and failsafe.

Flash doesnt refer to a flash drive. The bios will refer to a usb flash drive as USB FDD or USB HDD. But i think the flash message always appeared.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
So, i have tested all 4 ram sticks in the new motherboard and it shows no errors. All of the sticks passed. I did a visual inspection of the old board, and there was a chip that looked nice and burnt right next to ports that the front usb ports connect to the board. That my not have done anything, but i think there are other hidden burnt chips or resistors that are affecting the motherboards ability to read and write to DIMM 0

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by redblue

I think it was the power supply. I changed the motherboard to a known working Intel one, and it did the same thing.

New power supply it is...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by shiman
New power supply it is...

You get what you pay for! - Not saying buy the expensive ones, but the bargain shelf ones are a false economy, they may even do a bit of damage / reduce the life span of your hardware, I had one that kept over heating and cutting out, another developed unbearable cooling fan noise, both bottom of the price range.

Go somewhere in the middle is my advice.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join