It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP: We Might Drill Again In Disaster Zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
When I first read this I thought,"you've got to be kidding me," but I realize there is money to be made and our dependence on oil keeps the wheels turning(pun is okay).
Surely lessons have been learned and the next attempt will be better safeguarded as in Sonar Acoustic Detection systems, safety alarms that are left alone to fully function and one heck of a "just in case back up plan."
It sounds ludicrous in some sense, but at the same time the ole "jobs and growth" factor come into play I guess.

What do you guys think?
rawstory.com...

"There's lots of oil and gas here," Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said at a news briefing. "We're going to have to think about what to do with that at some point."

The vast oil reservoir beneath the blown well is still believed to hold nearly $4 billion worth of crude. With the company and its partners facing tens of billions of dollars in liabilities, the incentive to exploit the wells and the reservoir could grow.

Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the government's point man on the spill, said he had no information on BP's future plans.

"I would assume that's a policy issue related to the management of the lease," he told reporters. "Frankly, it hasn't been raised to my level at this point. I'm not sure I can comment on it."

Peace

Edit To Add: For clarification, I personally am against this idea!

[edit on 6-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Why risk the human cost and the marine life in the Gulf with another hole in the same unstable place? $4 Billion is not a lot of money by comparison to the what the FED steals on a daily basis. Isn't there a more tidy way of satiating that greed monkey? Leave the Gulf alone and go talk to yer buddies in the Oval Office.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gotredeemed

Isn't there a more tidy way of satiating that greed monkey?

Other than buckets of oil? I doubt it unfortunately, except maybe in pharmaceuticals. What happened to viability and managed systems that are sustainable and renewable? Greed!

"Talking to buddies in the Oval office would only bring more of the same, no?

Thanks for the reply gotredeemed,
spec

[edit on 6-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Let them drill the well and then we nationalize it to help pay for the previous crap they pulled.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gotredeemed

Well, we also have an entire infrastructure that would collapse without cheap petrol.

Not saying i like it, just saying it is.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
When I first saw this article I also thought, "You've got to be kidding!" I guess I just thought that maybe there was a lesson learned somewhere here in the gulf.

Do the figures on the cost of this spill include the loss of oil in terms of wasted oil (x number of barrels leaked times the going rate per barrel)?

Is the amount in the reserve enough to justify another attempt?

I have made a serious try to "green up" in a lot of ways and with all this mess lately, I guess I am going to have to try a little harder and find some new things I can do. I realize that we are so "embedded" with oil that to go completely oil free is impossible to do, but I would hope that maybe a little conservation might be in order.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Clyde24

Is the amount in the reserve enough to justify another attempt?

4 billion's worth according to article

Apparently in the deeper waters of the gulf there are vast amounts of untapped oil. So yes they will continue, but hopefully with better safety protocol. The Deepwater platform was one of the first to begin venturing out that deep.
I was going to provide a specific example but found this site that has numerous related articles on 1 page: interesting read
www.energyplanusa.com...

I'm with you on the "green up" notion, every little bit helps.
spec

[edit on 8-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

top topics

join