It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never-Seen: Hiroshima and Nagasaki ;Photo Gallery

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
darbysrangers.tripod.com... one more in typhoon louise

In the aftermath of this storm, with the war now history, few people concerned themselves with the obsolete invasion plans for Japan. However, had there been no bomb dropped or had it been simply delayed for only a matter of months, history might well have repeated itself. An American invasion fleet of thousands of ships, planes and landing craft, and a half million men might well have been in that exact place at that exact time, poised to strike Japan, when this typhoon enveloped Okinawa and its surrounding seas. In the fall of 1945, in the aftermath of this typhoon, a "divine wind" might have protected the Japan from foreign invaders.
so i think the ends justified the means in this case and in combination with how things had been going in the war thus far with out the ending of the war when it did potently millions more could have died

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Bumped for the 67th anniversary of this tragedy.

worldnews.nbcnews.com... d=ansmsnbc11

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

TOKYO — TOKYO A grandson of former President Harry Truman, who ordered the atomic bombings of Japan during World War II, is in Hiroshima to attend a memorial service for the victims.

Clifton Truman Daniel visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on Saturday and laid a wreath for the 140,000 people killed by the Aug. 6, 1945, bombing authorized by his grandfather. Another atomic blast in Nagasaki three days later killed 70,000 more.

"I think this cenotaph says it all -- to honor the dead to not forget and to make sure that we never let this happen again," Daniel said after offering a silent prayer.

Daniel, 55, is in Japan to attend ceremonies next week in Hiroshima and Nagasaki marking the 67th anniversary of the bombings. His visit, the first by a member of the Truman family, is sponsored by the peace group Sadako Legacy, named after Sadako Sasaki, an A-bomb victim who died of leukemia at age 12. While in the hospital, Sadako folded hundreds of paper cranes after hearing a legend that people who make 1,000 origami cranes can be granted a wish. Origami cranes have since become a symbol of peace.

Daniel, a former journalist, met Sadako's 71-year-old brother, Masahiro Sasaki, who survived the bombing, at a peace event in New York in 2010. They agreed to work together to deepen understanding between the two countries, which are still divided over the question of the legitimacy of the atomic attacks.

"There are other opinions, there are other points of view, and I don't think we ever finish talking about that," Daniel said after visiting a museum at the memorial. "The important thing is to keep talking, to talk about all of it."

Daniel said in a statement that he decided to visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki because he needed to know the consequences of his grandfather's decision as part of his own efforts to help achieve a nuclear-free world. He said he hopes to hear stories from survivors about how they overcame their adversity.

Daniel is also to meet with the mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and participate in discussions with students.

Susumu Miura, a 78-year-old Hiroshima native, wrote in the newspaper Tokyo Shimbun that he was enraged when he learned that many Americans still support the decision to drop the atomic bombs. "But when I heard on the news that former President Truman's grandson is visiting Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I felt as if I lost some weight from my chest," Miura wrote.

The peace group also invited the grandson of a radar operator who was on both of the planes that dropped the atomic bombs.

Ari Beser's grandfather, Jacob Beser, was only person who directly took part in both of the bombings.

"I hope we can bring a true reconciliation to atomic bombing survivors, many of them still caught in animosity toward the United States, as well as other survivors of war and their families, and help instill a strong sense of peace among young people," Sasaki said.

The U.S. government sent its ambassador to the annual commemoration of the atomic bombings for the first time two years ago. Ambassador John Roos also is to attend the Hiroshima ceremony Monday.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIStory Indeed
Has anyone ever considered why these two cities were chosen in the first place?

I find it interesting to note that these two cities had the highest concentration of Catholics on the entire island of Japan.

People tend to harm those who are least likely to resemble themselves or share the same values not the other way around.

Surely our government chose these to for a reason, one day we may know just what those reasons really were.

More interesting, is the fact that a group of Jesuits survived. In fact there was some German Jesuits that had been working on the bomb prior to Germany's defeat.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIStory Indeed
Has anyone ever considered why these two cities were chosen in the first place?

I find it interesting to note that these two cities had the highest concentration of Catholics on the entire island of Japan.

People tend to harm those who are least likely to resemble themselves or share the same values not the other way around.

Surely our government chose these to for a reason, one day we may know just what those reasons really were.

More interesting, is the fact that a group of Jesuits survived. In fact there was some German Jesuits that had been working on the bomb prior to Germany's defeat.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
These photos were off the cover page when I just went to look at them. As a result, I got... distracted... while looking for them when I encountered the recent slideshows on Marilyn Monroe. What was I supposed to look for again?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This ACT is probably one of the most rationalized acts ever done to humankind....yet completely IRRATIONAL!
I will NEVER believe in the justification for the killing of innocent people...anywhere!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SinkingSun

and you are a retard, please don't breed ok. better yet, move to the ME, they would like to cut your head off in the name of their peaceful religion ytou idiot.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join