It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locking Gas Cap CONFISCATED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yep, it was "confiscated"!

It flunked a Texas vehicle saftey inspection and the inspector TOOK the cap for "evidence", claiming he has to mail it to the state. This was the original gas cap that came with vehicle manufacture!

I have no idea what it has to do with safety - nor why they can TAKE it.

Oh well. Some schmuck probably paid our politicians so he could sell the new, improved schmucking-gas-cap.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
interesting. I didn't know they actually tested the cap. I thought it was only the tank to see if it held pressure, to check for leaks. Did you get a receipt for the cap? After the i guess "investigation" you should get your property back, they may tell you that you cannot use it but it is still yours.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Wow the big guys at Washington are really playing with people lividly hoods. Hope the cap gets returned asap.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
From a quick google search there seems to be something called a "gas cap testing devise" and it checks of the cap is leaking fumes. Looks like it's part of the emissions tests

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
No, they didn't and won't be returning our gas cap - even if we wanted it for welding ridiculous metal art like the art museums put in their front lawn.

They don't even take your name or address information to return it to you.

Yes, I think it's part of emissions testing.

The particular safety inspector flunks ALL of the vehicles - the auto parts store said so.

By the way, the replacement locking gas cap - the INSIDES fell out the very next day! And that turkey passed because it was "new"! Ended up buying THIRD cap.

[edit on 31/8/2010 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The last time I had to take my car to an MOT (uk equivalent of safety inspection) I decided to use the one closest to my new house, instead of the one that I had been using for years.
The car came back with a list a faults as long as my arm, including (if you can believe it) that the indicator bulbs were the wrong shade of Orange, I was not too pleased as you can imagine and reported the garage to the governing body.
The next day I took it back to my usual place and it passed with no problems.

I don't know how it is in the US but here if you don't fix the faults within a few days you have to repay to take a second test, so the first garage was just trying to gouge me for money hoping I would ask them to fix my horrible wrong colored bulbs.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

This particular station charged (collected the fee) BEFORE stating the inspection failed.

Whether they charge before or after the inspection varies by station.

But yes, that station will not get ours nor most of the other people's business in the future.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
here in Oklahoma we had so many problems with crooked stations ripping people off, and with so few stations doing $5 inspections we did away with it about 10-15 years ago,no talk about bringing it back either.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Funny that - i used to take my car to a tyre shop to get pink slip (registration passed) in Aus, but they come back and magically say that my tyre was below the standard on the inside - so I just said "OK put the spare on" instant pass without the need for a new tyre.

Just gouging your wallets.

top topics

join