It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM crop escapes into the American wild!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

A genetically modified (GM) crop has been found thriving in the wild for the first time in the United States. Transgenic canola is growing freely in parts of North Dakota, researchers told the Ecological Society of America conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, today. The scientists behind the discovery say this highlights a lack of proper monitoring and control of GM crops in the United States.

Source (Nature.com)

Although this is apparently a new occurrence for the US, it's been reported worldwide for many years now. It does make you wonder how many other GM plants are already out there in the wild, no doubt there's many more than we know about - interbreeding and with in-built resistances to herbicides that GM crops are engineered to have.

This really shouldn't come as a surprise, an EU study in 2002 told us it would happen:

GM crops bound to 'escape', says EU

Genes will inevitably escape from genetically modified crops, contaminating organic farms, creating superweeds, and driving wild plants to extinction, an official EU study concludes... The study concludes that "gene flow can occur over long distances", and that some varieties of GM crops interbreed with others "at higher frequencies and at greater distances than previously thought". Pollen from the crops, it concluded, travelled far further than the official "isolation distances" laid down to separate them from ordinary crops, to prevent interbreeding, making a mockery of safety precautions.

So that's it then, the genie's out of the bottle... no turning back now, like 'em or not, they're here to stay!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I can hardly say this surprises me. The pollen is clearly contaminating other crops. Surely all the mechanisms that spread seed (birds, water flow, etc.) would work just as well for GM as any other plant.

Still, though I am not surprised, I am sickened in the heart. Our lovely planet has been further despoiled.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Hahaha.

Now Monsanto will want to sue Earth or Nature or something for STEALING it's product and growing it illegally.

Irony is bitter sweet.

Good find, I will spread the word to my friends. Thanks for sharing the story, it's actually a very important and disturbing development.

However, this is exactly what was expected, it was inevitable.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I've heard the tumor that GM crops are what is killing off the bees. As I have seen no hard evidence of this I cannot say it is true or not but it would not surprise me in the least. I feel GM crops are very harmful to both humans who ingest them and to the ecosystems they are grown in and, as we now can see, the ones they aren't planted in.

Sad how these companies have been able to pull this off over the years. Hopefully more people will awaken and see what is being done to our food supply.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Laboratory experiments have shown that animals eating GM food become sterile by the 3rd generation.
There goes the wildlife and humans too.

And the worst of it is Monsanto's Terminator seeds. When they get loose it is good bye vegetation.

Maybe that's what happened to Mars.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I wonder if there are efforts to eradicate the plants they found in the wild? I hope so! It may be too late but let's not just let it go and say "oh well."
I hope someone comes along with the tech to target these plants and destroy them. A Monsanto gene seek and destroy nanobot, or insects conditioned to feed exclusively on Monsanto plants.

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

It's a nice thought, but I can't see how they possibly could - from reading the article it sounds like it's pretty widespread, and in some of the cases they've tested have found the plants are a few generations down the line already. Add into the mix cross-pollination and who knows what's out there now since GM farming began.

If you also consider that some of these crops have been grown in countries that are likely to be even less lax than the US... I'd personally consider it to be too far gone already

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This is why we have the global seed vault.
No need to worry, if something goes wrong we could probably fix it by burning it down and starting for scratch.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What the bull#ery is going on here?
this is like the 4th double post I had today in a row!

Fix your site or add a damn delete button for christ sakes

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Mythic Chris]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythic Chris

Earth is going to do that for Us.
and that's what's going to "wake-up" the masses.

Worry will really do nothing for us, you're right,
but concern is something we should have.

This is not a good thing,
and we will all pay for the actions of a few,
but we did nothing to stop it,
or any of the other terrible $*** associated with human "civilization".
so....
you know the saying/metaphor..
something like..
"never crap in your own backyard, or you are going to step in it"

we've already crapped a whole bunch,
and we're gonna 'step in it'.
Earth will make sure of it.
"The children simply refuse to listen...
MAKE them listen"...

i just find it crazy that we're the one's that are going to watch it happen....... lol

eh,
Balance must be kept somehow, right? lol

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Find this also on Scientific American: Genetically Modified Crop on the Loose and Evolving in U.S. Midwest if you're looking for a comparison of sources.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Unfortunately I can't come up with anything positive to contribute to this discussion because my brain is curdling around a string of profanity. I have never understood why our society, our US government anyway, is always so hellbent on letting science go almost without limits. We need to give more pause for thought before green lighting every scientific "advance" just because we are capable of it. Isn't Monsanto a corporation composed of human beings? Do these people not have families? Do they not have to live on the same planet they are destroying for the rest of us? It boggles the mind.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
GM, NWO, FEMA, HAZMAT. what do they all have in common?
Gov intervention, they will not be happy till were are all gone, thous that are left will be mutated brain dead clones, so them that have the world, can sit back and do nothing but watch, and shine there gold bars.

Well i hope this kind of GM some day bites them and turns on them, so we will be the ones in charge, so one day the saying will be "Gold????? don't need no gold can eat, drink nor smoke it".

Have you tried eating that corn?

I under stand it has to be inject with flavor and other stuff and is no good for fuel, it is lacking some by product when refined, does this make any sense? Why even make it?
I just do not understand mankind any more.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenChild

A genetically modified (GM) crop has been found thriving in the wild for the first time in the United States. Transgenic canola is growing freely in parts of North Dakota, researchers told the Ecological Society of America conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, today. The scientists behind the discovery say this highlights a lack of proper monitoring and control of GM crops in the United States.

Source (Nature.com)

Although this is apparently a new occurrence for the US, it's been reported worldwide for many years now. It does make you wonder how many other GM plants are already out there in the wild, no doubt there's many more than we know about - interbreeding and with in-built resistances to herbicides that GM crops are engineered to have.

This really shouldn't come as a surprise, an EU study in 2002 told us it would happen:

GM crops bound to 'escape', says EU

Genes will inevitably escape from genetically modified crops, contaminating organic farms, creating superweeds, and driving wild plants to extinction, an official EU study concludes... The study concludes that "gene flow can occur over long distances", and that some varieties of GM crops interbreed with others "at higher frequencies and at greater distances than previously thought". Pollen from the crops, it concluded, travelled far further than the official "isolation distances" laid down to separate them from ordinary crops, to prevent interbreeding, making a mockery of safety precautions.

So that's it then, the genie's out of the bottle... no turning back now, like 'em or not, they're here to stay!

This is basically genetic and environmental vandalism perpetrated by the globalist elite by design.

Why have they built seed vaults in the vicinity of the Arctic Circle?

Serves two purposes: Just in case the GMO crops they planted destroy every organic crop in their wake, and after they have killed off 2/3 of the world's population, they can replenish the earth to feed their useful slaves, and of course, themselves.

new topics

top topics

join