It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger mounts over Michelle Obama's 5-day Spanish holiday

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Crap like this is a smoke screen to distract everyone.

50,000$ a day is chump change.

What does the wars in the middle east cost daily?

Exactly.

Let's focus on something important like wars and social issues. Don't let complete BS like this distract you.

I really don't care what she did at this point. Can I stop her? NO.

And why waste energy trying? I'd rather waste my energy trying to wake people up to the real issues, rather than piddly crap like this joke.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

That is the kind of rubbish people have been conditioned into believing, and illustrates the extent to which the 'wealthy uber-class' and the 'poor under-class' is now not only seen as normal, but necessary.

Most of the world is going through an economic crisis. The world KNOWS US is almost bankrupt. It would be refreshing to see some of the leaders actually tightening their belt as well - oh ho, that would show INTEGRITY,, heaven forbid!

But hey, Obama personally made $85 million dollars from the oil spill, so why should anyone worry or expect him to give that back to the American people he stole it from, and the families of those murdered in the Gulf.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
It probably costs taxpayers that much a day no matter where she is.

Biggest non-issue of the week to get angry about.

No it is not a "non" issue. The fact is Democrats say they are for the poor and downtrodden however behave like the millionaires most of them are. It is not about how much it cost on a daily basis to protect "Her Majesty Michelle" it is the appearance of living the life of a princess whilst the poor, millions of unemployed and downtrodden struggle on a daily basis just to get by. Have you no compassion? Imagine if a Republican had done this - oh my all hell would have broken loose - and you know it!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
reply to post by Hefficide

But hey, Obama personally made $85 million dollars from the oil spill, so why should anyone worry or expect him to give that back to the American people he stole it from, and the families of those murdered in the Gulf.

SOURCE Please?

2ndline

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Let's focus on something important like wars and social issues. Don't let complete BS like this distract you.

This is correct thinking. We all need to wake-up and quit whining about insignificant things that WE didn't get ourselves.

Is America held hostage? Yes
Is there a swat team tryin to rescue us? No

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
What gets me is that it was Baraks' birthday and he celebrated it without Michelle or or his children present. There must be some marital problems at work here. Any "normal" family would want to be together on birthdays.

Besides, Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

...while most of the country is pinching pennies and downsizing summer sojourns - or forgoing them altogether - the Obamas don't seem to be heeding their own advice. While many of us are struggling, the First Lady is spending the next few days in a five-star hotel on the chic Costa del Sol in southern Spain with 40 of her "closest friends." According to CNN, the group is expected to occupy 60 to 70 rooms, more than a third of the lodgings at the 160-room resort. Not exactly what one would call cutting back in troubled times.

It looks like "get it while you can because it's not going to last forever."

While most Americans say it's going to last for only two more years, America deserves this for another 6.

Americans that didn't vote for them, and I didn't, will be patient so the ones that voted for them can see what a mistake they've made. Suffer Obama supporters, suffer.

I must be dreaming because this is too good to be true.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Ignoring domestic feelings about this there are reasons for why a First Lady would travel in this manner. Ignoring logistics - for example the ton of support personnel involved - a First Lady cannot be seen vacationing on "the cheap". It might well make Americans feel a bit better if she did so but it would do more harm to the world economy and to our nations political power than it would do good at home. A representative of her status has to be seen in a certain light to demonstrate our countries power and wealth. Maybe she is milking it a bit, but overall it's a necessary evil.

My favorite part of this controversy was that the U.S. State Department had to issue a directive that Spain was no longer considered racist - just before MO's plane landed there.

article

Will they say Spain is racist once again just after her plane takes off?

link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Well. In my way of thinking no input into debate qualifies as "rubbish". But to each his own.

My opinion is that the ruling class / peasant class argument is the invalid one. In a representative democratic republic (which we have) the majority holds power. Since the majority are not uber rich it follows that the ruling class actually operates from the bottom up.

And I stand by my opinion that a representative of the US should portray an image of wealth and power. Michelle Obama isn't operating as a private citizen at this point in her life, even though she is one. She is basically an ambassador for this nation and should behave accordingly. This trip was certainly scheduled and engineered with political agendas in mind, and was carried out accordingly.

link   

Originally posted by Mrmerak

No it is not a "non" issue. The fact is Democrats say they are for the poor and downtrodden however behave like the millionaires most of them are. It is not about how much it cost on a daily basis to protect "Her Majesty Michelle" it is the appearance of living the life of a princess whilst the poor, millions of unemployed and downtrodden struggle on a daily basis just to get by. Have you no compassion? Imagine if a Republican had done this - oh my all hell would have broken loose - and you know it!

Oh you mean like The Bush's trip to Africa? And how the left-wing press didn't make much of a peep about it? Because that's what FIRST FAMILIES do.

You right-wingers try to make this an issue, but when it's your own party doing it, you don't say ****. Either do what I do, and don't say **** about it regardless of party , or.....stop being hypocritical and criticize EVERYONE who does it.

THIS IS A NON-ISSUE

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

The problem is that alone, they are all non-issues. If the economy was booming, approval for the president was up, and this wasn't the third or fourth unnecessary, completely costly trip....then a non-issue it would be.

However, that is not the case.

At what point do people start actually breaking out the calculators?

[I'm combining Obama & Michelle's "fun"]

Martha's Vineyard....two throw-out-the-first pitch ball games....Hawaii, twice, once with a boatload of friends.....Copenhagen (this trip WAS not vital to US interests and was a pet project)........town halls galore......Camp David, three times..........date night in NYC.....

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

We are still losing jobs. Not stagnant, not gaining.....losing.

Everything is the world --including vacation -- seems to come before putting Americans back to work. It's been a year and a half and we are still losing jobs.

We can not have a jobless recovery while still maintaining welfare payments, food stamps, social security, medicare / medicaid, and unemployment.

We are in the red and there is nobody additional to add to the paying into the system, only those still looking to withdraw.

At some point, people better start realizing that we could have provided unemployment benefits for a year for two people at least with the amount of money that she spent on this vacation. And yes, we are at the point that even just two people's benefits getting paid for helps.

Hello? We are in a crisis? Anybody there.....??

[chirp, chirp.]

Edit:
Punctuation is good.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
In the mean time a Mexican dies from a trillion dollar drug war that doesn't work.

In the mean time an Iraqi dies in a war that did not work.

In the mean time an Afghan dies in in a war that did not work.

In the mean time international bankers are still ripping you off.

In the mean time a U.S. soldier dies in wars that do not work.

Yet members here want to take issue with first lady taking a vacation out of the U.S.. Do you own her??? They took a trip. Big deal. Other U.S. presidents have also taken vacations abroad. Here's that previously posted link again..

The Faux Scandal of Michelle Obama’s Spain Trip

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

You forgot:

Americans are suffering under an arrogant presidency (why this issue is news) that doesn't work.

link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
...while most of the country is pinching pennies and downsizing summer sojourns - or forgoing them altogether - the Obamas don't seem to be heeding their own advice. While many of us are struggling, the First Lady is spending the next few days in a five-star hotel on the chic Costa del Sol in southern Spain with 40 of her "closest friends." According to CNN, the group is expected to occupy 60 to 70 rooms, more than a third of the lodgings at the 160-room resort. Not exactly what one would call cutting back in troubled times.

ALL WRONG! The Hotel and other personal expenses were paid for OUT OF THE OBAMA'S PERSONAL WALLET.

The ONLY cost to the TaxPayer was the Security Detail (which they pay for anyway) and reimbursement for the plane-trip over, since it was part of an official trip to Spain.

So tell me IntelEarthling, if you were a multi0millionaire at this very moment, would you cut back on your PERSONAL SPENDING just because the country is in a recession?

This is the big problem with the current state of our main-stream media in America. Each individual station cares more about "politics" and painting their opponents in a bad-light than actually reporting some substantial truth.

link   
The Obama’s take their 8th Vacation

www.examiner.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

My favorite part of this controversy was that the U.S. State Department had to issue a directive that Spain was no longer considered racist - just before MO's plane landed there.

article

Will they say Spain is racist once again just after her plane takes off?

Though we may disagree on how a big a deal her trip is- I'll admit - I found great humor in that bit of bungling.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

So once again, when it comes to Obama, we are faced with a "there are more atrocities happening to get upset about than this" so move on.

There are more than 50 threads on this site about issues just like this -- costing the taxpayers unnecessary money while not doing anything to improve jobs or the economy as a whole.

There are more than 30+ million unemployed -- how many vacation trips do you think they are all going on?

This is the first, it isn't the second trip -- he has only been in office 18 or so months and he has said himself that he began the Presidency at one of the most difficult entry points of any President.

Don't you seriously think that celebrations and good times could be a little less frequent and maybe wait until there is some good news to report ?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Which presidency since Woodrow Wilson's administration has worked???

As far as I know, no one has successfully gotten rid of the Federal Reserve, so I'll say as long as International Bankers are ripping you all off, no administration cares.

link   
Here is my take on the entire trip to Spain issue.
It is an insult and a slap in the face of the American Tax payer and the country at large right now. Our economy is hurting and especially the gulf coast. The President has visited and stated the Gulf Coast is ok, and for the people to come on down. So why did she not take her daughter and travel down to one of the Gulf Coast states, that have been affected by the oil spill, to help drum up the economy for the people that need such? I find that the entire European trip is a waste of time and money on the part of the entire federal government. Or why could the First Lady not take the time to travel through the country to visit, oh lets think about what she is pushing: Farms and ranches, to promote healthy eating and the benifits of all natural foods? That way it would be a working vacation, and help out people in different areas. All this is just a bit of of abuse on the part of the President and his family.

link   

Originally posted by ElijahWan

So tell me IntelEarthling, if you were a multi0millionaire at this very moment, would you cut back on your PERSONAL SPENDING just because the country is in a recession?

Ummm.....they are public servants for crying out loud! Nobody care what the heck Gates or Buffet do with their money!!

They are only in office for 4 years at a time. Eight vacations or so now? When is the last time you took 8 vacations in 18 months?

Perhaps I should have first asked if you are even employed since more than 10% of Americans aren't and I can assure you they are not jet-setting the world over.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

So once again, when it comes to Obama, we are faced with a "there are more atrocities happening to get upset about than this" so move on.

I couldn't care less about Zbigniew Brzezinski, I mean Barack Obama....

There are more than 50 threads on this site about issues just like this -- costing the taxpayers unnecessary money while not doing anything to improve jobs or the economy as a whole.

As far as I know, most income tax goes to pay for interest to the federal reserve for loans taken by the government. Not for simple vacations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join