It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger mounts over Michelle Obama's 5-day Spanish holiday

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Sure, some may say those things. However, I did not.

But, since you brought it up, what is the difference between those displaying anger over this and the Democrats/liberals demanding the heads of the "rich capitalists" who "feed off the sweat and blood of the common man"?

There is none. So, back to addressing the real issue...

She is a public figure, who knows that her actions will be scrutinized and politicized. Both sides do it, right or wrong. I just think this was a little too "in your face".

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What a bunch of hypocrites!

But, it's not if the other side does it? Refer to my reply to WUK

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by humbleseeker
Suprissingly it dosnt seem to bother me. Most Presidents wives go on trips. These trips are exspensive because of her security needs. Let her have her fun, I knwo if I were "first man" I would be spending all kinds of your money

Naaah... Let US have fun with OUR money!

And I really doubt all this luxury is justified by "security" needs. But given your avatar, I know where you're from, politically...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

For the 500th time in this thread, we did not pay for this trip. The money came out of the Obama's personal funds taxpayers only paid for security which is completely unavoidable and would have happened anyway.

Really, just wishing something is bad doesn't make it so.

The Obamas are not as rich as people think, so I think the correct situation is their "guests" pretty much footed the bill, and who wouldn't want to spend a week with the first lady when you can afford the cost.

The one thing I find interesting and no one really brings it up anymore is that all this just flows with what the Illinois normal style of government seems to be. Pay backs, kick backs and bribes are a common element within all levels of the Illinois government with even the ex-Governor today still not seeing any of it as wrong since it is so normalized throughout Illinois.

With that said, is it safe to assume the Obamas were not a part of any of this corruption even being deeply embedded within this system while having no “old” money to rely on? Or just maybe they too just see it as perks of politics and have built up a good number of benefactors around them. We do know the Michelle got a 350k year job at a hospital right after her husband became Senator. We also know she had an empty office there and the hospital could not explain her role in anyway, AND that the position was completely eliminated after she left. Well I guess that is safer than handing someone large sums of money in a paper bag, but damn close IMHO.

I would rather see US taxes pay for the trip than seeing “benefactors” taking our first lady on a shopping trip to Europe. At least with taxes I can say the First Lady has the right and privilege to travel, but the other way I see the Illinois governmental system following the Obamas everywhere they go…

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think this was an incredibly arrogant and tasteless excursion by the First Lady. For one, to bring 40 people along, on our dime(or at least part of it) is borderline criminal. Two, why did she not vacation in the US? Is California, Maine etc not good enough? Why spend the money outside the country?

This is another example of Elite Entitlement. Just put yourself in her position, think like her for a minute and you will see what an arrogant, uncaring and selfish person she is. This is BS.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
All these people screaming about the amount of time the first family has spent on vacation have forgotten that Bush spent 490 days on vacation at his ranch and 487 days at Camp David on vacation and another 43 days relaxing at his parents house, yes 1020 days or 2.8 years of his 8 years where spent on vacation, all the while getting paid his presidential salary and having tax payers foot the bill for his security detail.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by frimilden]

[edit on 7-8-2010 by frimilden]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
SHE PAID FOR IT HERSELF FROM HER PRIVATE FUNDS! WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL?!? WHY CAN'T YOU READ TODAY?

Yes I but I remember those speeches to urge people to share the wealth, maybe they should start with themselves, I would be more likely to believe them.

But no she didn't pay for all of it.

Lead by setting an example.

[edit on 023131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by frimilden

I was no fan of Bush, so do you really feel that using his poor behavior is a justification of equally poor behavior on the part of someone else? Also, all of these instances you cited are instances of the President being away from the White House--I'm not sure being at Camp David equals a "vacation"--but in this specific instance it's the First Lady taking a foreign vacation at least partially on the tax-payer's dime, not the President.

My opinion is that a President should spend the majority of the his time doing the people's business--he can vacation when his four or eight years are over. The Presidency is MORE than a full-time job and should be treated as such by both Republicans and Democrats. If a person isn't ready to dedicate 80 hours a week into running this country, then imo, a person shouldn't run for the office. I am no more a fan of Obama than I was Bush. Neither Bush nor Obama should spend more time vacationing than average Americans--two weeks a year maximum, in my opinion.

As for the First Lady--part of the job of first lady is to represent this country in an upstanding manner. I understand that many Americans are hurting and think this trip to Spain sends a message that she is above average Americans and as such can jet-set around like one of the Hilton brats at-will. It seems to come down to a lack of respect for average Americans.

I am ready for Obama defenders to come up with something more than the two lines of:
...but Bush did it too.
...you just don't like him because he's black.

You can't be "the first post-racial President" and constantly play the race card--it just doesn't work.

[edit on 7/8/2010 by xtradimensions]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have been wondering why Spain of all places,

Spain?

Oh is that where the Great Mosque of Cordoba is, why yes, that is where it is.

Cost
www.hapblog.com...

[edit on 033131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe it would have been more on topic to point out that almost all prior first lady's took expensive vacations, Laura went on week long river rafting trips with her friends, took African Safaris with her kids, etc... i heard no one getting up in arms about those.

However I do agree with you, it is no justification. But it is something all of them have and will continue to do, First lady's travel and travel a lot and with entourages, no reason to get upset about it imho.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I have been wondering why Spain of all places,

Spain?

Oh is that where the Great Mosque of Cordoba is, why yes, that is where it is.

Covered in this thread too.

Spain is a beautiful place. If you ever get a chance to visit, take it. The beaches there are wonderful.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
i cant belive our goverment cant figure the ecnomey problem but we have money just give the first lady a lavish vacation that is just not fair for us.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A screaming headline from a duff paper, then you read the story content. Give people room for goodness sake. It makes you wonder who would want to be an American president, or any leader for that matter when there is so much rubbish written today. It's just as well you can't photograph a fart...but they're probably working on that!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Why is Michelle in Spain on Obama's Bday?

Do Muslims celebrate birthdays?

A few Islamic sites I visited for this answer, said, NO.

So I looked to see what I could find out on Obama's Birthday in Chicago.

NO cake for you!!!!

lol

Obama Birthday Cake Blocked from 49th Birthday Celebration for ‘Security Reasons’

www.techbanyan.com...

ztruth.typepad.com...

[edit on 043131p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElijahWan

Originally posted by Intelearthling

ALL WRONG! The Hotel and other personal expenses were paid for OUT OF THE OBAMA'S PERSONAL WALLET.

The ONLY cost to the TaxPayer was the Security Detail (which they pay for anyway) and reimbursement for the plane-trip over, since it was part of an official trip to Spain.

Can you please provide a source for this info?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hi Quest,
Most of the info is actually in the small print of the Daily Mail's story. But I also think she is to meet King Juan Carlos on Sunday in an "official" capacity, probably as a Ambassador.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

When NBC borrows my ideas for their stories (how Michelle told people to spend money in the Gulf, then got out of there asap) they should give me credit, so I can get the fame and fortune I so richly deserve!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

thanks smurfy, that's what i said.

i have no problem with MO taking a vacation with 40 friends, since they would be paying for themselves.

but MO will not be paying since it is under official bizzness and taxpayers will pick up that tab.

so, everyone is right, lol!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Another useless woman getting to where she is on the back of a man.

I am a woman for those who think I am being rather sexist.

I hate that (I would slip in the C word here). She is a false stupid and pathetic b**$%.

I should not show such anger but this family is worse that bush and cheney.

This man and his sperm catcher are the END of the USA.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
now thats a woman i would kiss the hand off (above poster)
women who pursue a career on theyr own and are pasionate about theyr own hobbies and believes are so much better,every man having that woman is a lucky man!
and thanks for teeling us the truth that michelle actualy did use the tax payers money since its official business. now all the factist around here can calm down.
thank you your great!

new topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join