It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger mounts over Michelle Obama's 5-day Spanish holiday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Anger mounts over Michelle Obama's 5-day Spanish holiday

www.dailymail.co.uk

Michelle Obama today faced a fresh wave of attacks over her lavish break in Spain with 40 friends, which is likely to cost U.S. taxpayers a staggering £50,000 a day.
The First Lady has been lambasted for her extravagance at a time when the economy is still struggling. One blogger went so far as to brand her a modern-day Marie Antoinette.
And her critics will be further annoyed when they learn that the president's wife had a Spanish beach closed off today so that she, her daughter and their entourage could go for a swim.

Spanish police cleared off a stretch of beach at the Villa Padierna
(visit the link for the full news article)

+26 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is how Washington relaxes, and pays for it with our tax money. When we go on vacation, the money for the trip comes out of our own pockets. Pelosi flies her family and friends around the world on Air Force jets all the time, with no expense to her personally. What Obama is showing with this vacation is Washington has no thought or conscious for the people it represents, and the struggles we are going through. This trip shows the arrogance of Obama, again

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wow, what a complete joke.

I've lost some respect for Michelle Obama now.

I know she's the President's wife, but I never imagined she would do something like this.

Just shows what I know!

They got a beach closed off just for her?

Well, can't have her going on the beach with dirty commoners now can we?

+46 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It probably costs taxpayers that much a day no matter where she is.

Biggest non-issue of the week to get angry about.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I can't say I disagree with the sentiment but let's not try and make this about one party over the other. This kind of behavior has been going on for decades by both sides. The sooner people realize that it's them (both sides) against us tyhe sooner we'll have a chance of changing things. Also, there is no evidence that Marie Antoinette ever made the 'let them eat cake' statement. In fact, most evidence suggests itr was made up. But more importantly, let's see if we can get our heads on straight about this ridiculous and embarassing Republicans v. Democrats tripe. It's them v. us. Repeat after me, them v. us...

just sayin...

+36 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
It probably costs taxpayers that much a day no matter where she is.

Biggest non-issue of the week to get angry about.

Not if she stays in the White House as an example during these tough economic times.

Uh, the point is that she is rubbing our noses in it to the point that one reporter actually called her the "new Marie Antoinette" for preaching (with BHO) economic restraint to the rest of us, while moving on up herself.

[edit on 8/6/2010 by centurion1211]

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Agreed.

You would have least thought she'd just think....hmmmm maybe going on this lavish holiday to Spain isn't such a good idea right now considering the circumstances. It might not go down too well.

But oh no.

+58 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
There are some perfectly good beaches on the gulf coast...
Whats wrong with them?
I'm sure that those resort owners and beachfront businesses
could use the business and publicity...
and moral support.

Oh silly me, what what was I tinkin'

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Danbones]

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Oh, so she should stay home and knit or something?

First of all, part of a first lady's job is to travel quite frequently. Second, do we really know that the taxpayer is footing this entire bill? A portion of it? I'm sure I don't care enough to even look.

Attention has been called to it, and I'm sure the proper authorities have been notified of this transgression.

There are way more pressing issues to get your panties in a twist over. Let the woman have a vacation. WE don't know all the details and probably never will, but go ahead and get angry if you want.

I can see all the scrunched up angry little faces now, getting red frim the blood pressure going up. Actually, that's sort of a giggle.

Off with their heads

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Somebody is playing extra filthy here it seems, trying to paint the entire family as deviate and not just the president.

The Faux Scandal of Michelle Obama’s Spain Trip

Some factions just don't understand the concept of lines that you should not cross! In due time supremacists, you'll just wait, you all get your turn.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Probably - I wouldn't doubt if its somewhere around that.

Its one of those things most would not realize and the vacation kind of shows that cost to everyone.

Kind of like if Tom Cruise spends a week in Beverly Hills, hitting the spots, tooling the family around in the Bugatti, getting waited on hand and foot - nobody thinks anything of it as it is normal there.

If he takes the family to Harlem in the Bugatti and does the same thing it is quite the display of wealth, excess and power against the surroundings.

Nobody would blink at the first, at the second it could appear Tom was rubbing everyone's nose in how well off he is.

That is kind of how I see this. If she'd taken the crew to Camp David or some usual spot it probably would have cost as much - but not generated anywhere near such bad press.

*edit - I can't spell - or type..

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Frogs]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Ignoring domestic feelings about this there are reasons for why a First Lady would travel in this manner. Ignoring logistics - for example the ton of support personnel involved - a First Lady cannot be seen vacationing on "the cheap". It might well make Americans feel a bit better if she did so but it would do more harm to the world economy and to our nations political power than it would do good at home. A representative of her status has to be seen in a certain light to demonstrate our countries power and wealth. Maybe she is milking it a bit, but overall it's a necessary evil.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is a joke right? Oh wait no...I know what it is....It's the opposition party, making a big deal out of NOTHING....EVERY President/First Family has notoriously spent tax-payer money quite lavishly when they were in office. Hell, President Bush used Air-Force one for private trips (AND SURELY A SECURITY DETAIL) atleast 77 times during his 8 years in office.

It's just like a few of the above posters said, it's not about left, or right, it's about them vs us....(The Average Citizen).

Point is this is Politics as always......I can see tomorrow's headlines

"President Obama uses Bounty Toilet Paper, Costs an extra $5 per roll for Tax-Payer."

GIVE IT A REST, JEEZUZ!

[edit on 8/6/10 by ElijahWan]

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

She doesn't need to stay home but maybe she should have been a little more considerate of the economic condition of her own country and took a nice vacation in America somewhere. There are plenty of beautiful places in her own counrty that she could have went and contributed all this lavish spending to the local economy instead of in Europe.

It just gives the impression that she doesn't care.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This is not the first time the "Obama's" have done something like this. You are all aware of the G-20 summit and how many people and supplies Obama brought up to Canada? They seem to feel the need to do everything on a grand scale, all the while telling American's we need to tighten our belts.

Then again all Obama has done so far is talk out of both sides of his mouth.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Typical right-wing lies. Didn't have a thing to say when W was taking vacation 3 months at a time. Not a thing.

They have nothing so they make it up.

edit: I'll repost the above link since it seems that some folks can only see right-wing propaganda

The Faux Scandal of Michelle Obama’s Spain Trip

That means it's a lie...faux means FAKE so it's a FAKE scandal made up by the right to control the way you think and to trick you into putting them back into power so they can rape the constitution and the economy for their own benefit.

[edit on Fri August 6th, 2010 by damwel]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Suprissingly it dosnt seem to bother me. Most Presidents wives go on trips. These trips are exspensive because of her security needs. Let her have her fun, I knwo if I were "first man" I would be spending all kinds of your money

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Krzyzmo

It shows the contempt which TPTB have for the American people. The ONLY thing about the American people they are interested in is the MONEY they can steal from them. Outside of that they despise them and don't care if they live or die.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by humbleseeker
Suprissingly it dosnt seem to bother me. Most Presidents wives go on trips. These trips are exspensive because of her security needs. Let her have her fun, I knwo if I were "first man" I would be spending all kinds of your money

Dead on! Not to mention what the OP doesn't mention, is that the Obamas paid for MOST of the trip's expenses. The only thing they didn't pay for was the cost of the Security Detail, and the cost of travel aboard the plane.

I guess the right-wing would prefer that the President just pay the Secret Service out of his personal wallet. Surely that's what they want right?

Hypocritical Idiots.....*facepalm*

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Weren't they just on a vacation last moth? And weren't they on a vacation just the month before that? How many fekking vacations does this modern day Marie Antionette need? Bush, who I hated almost as much, at least went to either Camp David or to his ranch in Texas to vacation. These "Ruling Elite" are really, REALLY pushing us hardworking Americans right toward the edge!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join