It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What converted you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This thread was not meant to be confrontational, this question goes out to all ATS ers.

1.My question to members that have converted to an organized religion. What made you do it? Did you marry into a family of that religion? Did you just finally
accept faith? What made you choose the religion you did to convert too.

2. My question to members that are atheist. What keeps you from converting to a religion?

When I was little I used to think that in order to believe a religion fully you had to be born into it, to be raised with it from birth, because I used to think faith was not something that was discovered it was taught to you. As it turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. So I just wanted to know what made you convert to a religion or what keeps you from being religious, any and all comments are welcome.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
i am not a religous person ... in my childhood i was told about god and christianity. I believe a lot of people are forced into it or should i say born into it... if i was born in another country then i would be learning a different religion depending on where i was from that`s just the way it is which i think is wrong.

I made my own mind up and believe without Proof of anything beyond this life then i will continue to not believe in any religion and unless God comes and has a discussion over a few beers with me , so until then i am not likely to change my mind either.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by discobiskit]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
By "organised" Religion are you mainly referring to the 3 main Abrahamic mono theistic traditions of ISL, JUD and CHR.

Or you do want to include others like Buddhism, Or even Polytheism's also. Sihk, Hindus, Sinto, Toaist,

Maybe even more fringe splinter groups too, i.e. Mormons, JoHos, and COJC -TLDS's

Note I deliberately left out Paganism, as it is far from "organised" heheh

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I hop between religions and I choose not to follow "the Church" with the singular god because of its violent past. If there is a god he or she would not let their followers kill in their name unless they are Hades. I Could see Hades asking for death.

I've looked at satanism since I found the satanic bible at the book store and read it and it made me laugh. I've looked at Wicca and the occult at this point I'm halfway between atheist and other... I'm a fan of the more inner prayer than the go to church hear an old guy rant about the glory of god.

Me and my friend now follow the goddess Apollymi. Since neither of us agree with religion that is currently present.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I converted from Christianity to Agnosticism, due to the fact at age 30, I realized that if there truly was a god, he would not allow man to pervert his religion, as has been done with Christianity throughout the years.

Edited to fix spelling

[edit on 8/6/2010 by BubbaJoe]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I see, that does make sense.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Any organized religion doesn't matter as long as it's organized.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
raised in a church; teen years rethought and reconsidered everything, dabbled in some alternate beliefs, and returned to Christianity having accepted it's reality.

attended a Pentecostal college (Lee College, Cleveland TN). don't let anyone tell you we're sheeple; everything those instructors said was questioned, discussed, and debated before being (not always) accepted. there was no blind faith; this was intelligent rational people probing truth, and if we didn't like the answers we let them know it, and sought our own (and continue to do so).

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I became a follower of Germanic Neopaganism after I saw an old man wandering in the forest.

I just knew it was Odin.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I am a follower of Christ. I do not go to church because many of them do not follow the teachings of Christ and are more of a "cult of personality" with the preacher, or a "job" for the sleaze who is there to make money off the congregation or get a free house, or worse yet a social club full of hypocrites. I am quite jaded with the "organized" church.

Why Christianity? Because the more I research the more I understand and see it all coming together and as the years pass, I see the Luciferianism Occultist openly achieving power, shaping policy, and becoming very visible as they no longer have to hide. Also, the young population is becoming faithless and openly hostile to anything to do with Christ. 30 years ago, I would not have believed this could happen so fast, the sheer speed of anti-christian sentiment and loathing has spread and watching the foundations of morality crumble around us.

Research, learn, and observe what is going on around you. Check out the Lucis Trust (Lucifer Publishing NGO, Temple of understanding NGO, Share International NGO, ) and others. You would have to be freeking blind and dumb not to see what is happening. You also would have to be blind not to know that this is exactly what was foretold to happen.

You may not believe in Christ but I assure you that those promoting Lucifer and their new age movement believe in you and count on your apathy.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

www.rumormillnews.com...

Lucis Trust is a powerful institution that enjoys "Consultative Status" with the United Nations, which permits it to have a close working relationship with the U.N., including a seat on the weekly sessions, but most importantly influence with powerful business and national leaders throughout the world.

The Lucis Trust is as much a political organization as an occult religious one. Aggressively promoting a globalist ideology, Lucis Trust founded its World Goodwill, which is closely connected to international elitist circles. Authors and participants in its various conferences read like a Who's Who of globalist insiders. Featured on its website, for example, is the Universal Declaration of Human Responsibilities, put forth in April 1998 as a companion document to the notorious UN Universal Declaration on Human Rights. Signatories to the World Goodwill document: Helmut Schmidt, former Chancellor of West Germany; Malcom Frasier, former Australian Prime Minister; Shimon Perez; Robert McNamara; Paul Volcke; Jimmy Carter and Pierre Trudeau among others.

Lucis Trust is run through an international board of trustees whose membership is said to have included: John D. Rockefeller; Norman Cousins; Robert S. McNamara; Thomas Watson, Jr. (IBM, former U.S. Ambassador to Moscow); Henry Clauson Grand Commander of the Supreme Council, 33rd Degree, Southern District Scottish Rite and Henry Kissinger. This would then tie Bailey's influential occult organization into the international conspiracy of elitists, including the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), the Bilderbergs, and the Trilateral Commission.

And

Both World Goodwill and Lucis Trust are engaged in Earth Charter advocacy. Lucis Trust has truly become a powerhouse for the New Age ideal; the transformation of society by, and through, occult initiatory means. Founded in 1937, Triangles is the name of a global network of cells, whose members pray a "Great Invocation," One disturbing aspect is the blatant targeting of children. riangles in Education, which is partnered with groups that "make some contribution to the task of laying the foundations for the new education."

[edit on 6-8-2010 by infolurker]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I started in a rather fundamentalist church in my early teens, spent time in evangelistic circles, then left the church for quite some time after becoming disillusioned with the excesses of the 1980s preachers and the influence of politics on religion and vice-versa in the same time. I discarded my fundamentalism along the way, though not for the same reasons as leaving the church.

Never lost my faith, though, and I came back to the church about eight years ago. Found a small group that I really connect with, and I'm very happy to be a part of the community again. It isn't so much needing the doctrine of the church as it is being with people who support me in my spiritual journey. You can go it alone, I suspect, but for me, it would be much more difficult.

My particular faith isn't one that is represented by any church that I know of, but it works for me, and I can't imagine my life without it. It's not a "crutch", it's an integral part of who I am.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i was raised as a christian, but lost the faith early in life. the logical side took over and i didn't believe in anything. but the older i get the more i see god in everything, although my idea of god may be different from the commonly accepted idea. if you are or are not religious the books of all religions are still very interesting, full of knowledge and should be read by everyone in my opinion. it helps to build understanding and they contain the oldest knowledge in the world that we know of.

new topics

top topics

join