It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists should thank Christians for the freedom to NOT believe, wonder if they do?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I'm just saying.. It EQUALLY goes both ways. And it's probably the way that christians have acted over the years that militant atheists were born, the same way with militant black people, and militant homosexuals..

It's cause and effect.

I'm not just mentioning the bad apples, I'm mentioning the good ones that they they are doing a favor by nagging you about their religion.

I've had different sects of christians bother me at school, and I'm too polite to tell them to shove off.

Even when I say "No thanks, I'm busy.. not interested by thanks for the offer." they still continue with "Come on, just sit down with us in the library man!" Over and over. It's the exact same tactics that military recruiters use.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

One quote from one Atheist isn't saying much.

no one person said that...I made it up...as what I thought would be a somewhat mature, measured response...

Deep breath Annee...whewsaaaaaaaa

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Thx TD,

What about these guys, were they WRONG too?

John Jay, Original Chief-Justice of the U. S. Supreme Court,

"The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the word of God and teaches us the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and to regulate your life by its precepts."

James Wilson, Signer of the Constitution; U. S. Supreme Court Justice,

"Human law must rest its authority ultimately upon the authority of that law which is divine. . . . Far from being rivals or enemies, religion and law are twin sisters, friends, and mutual assistants. Indeed, these two sciences run into each other."

Noah Webster, author of the first American Speller and the first Dictionary stated,

"The moral principles and precepts contained in the scriptures ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws. . . All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible."

Robert Winthrop, Speaker of the U. S. House,

"Men, in a word, must necessarily be controlled either by a power within them or by a power without them; either by the Word of God or by the strong arm of man; either by the Bible or by the bayonet."

George Washington, General of the Revolutionary Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, First President of the United States of America, Father of our nation,

"Religion and morality are the essential pillars of civil society."

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Being pushy is wrong!!!!!

Bottom line...

No excuse

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Treaty of Tripoli

"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

So yeah, thanks for nothing.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Geez. Yes. Everybody please leave everybody alone to worship as they wish in peace. .....

As for thanking Christians for the freedom?
That's just silly.

[edit on 8/6/2010 by ~Lucidity]

point 1. Aren't you just echoing the OP?

point 2. It was a christian that said it, you agree or not with his point?

I'm confused with your post....

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Thx TD,

What about these guys, were they WRONG too?

Yes they were.

They're entitled to their opinions but I as well. Not only are they wrong but some of their comments are reprehensible.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have to ask... how does the OP in any way prove that we can attribute freedoms to Christianity? Nice quotes but still they do not make the case for your argument.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

One quote from one Atheist isn't saying much.

no one person said that...I made it up...as what I thought would be a somewhat mature, measured response...

Deep breath Annee...whewsaaaaaaaa

You made it up? How representative of Atheists - Not.

Don't tell me to breathe.

Tell me directly and simply - what your point is. Because there doesn't seem to be one.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Just a thought....Don't Christians believe that all rights and freedoms came from God? If so, why are you asking for Athiests to give credit to Christians for freedoms that you yourself claim to have been given to us by God? Are you taking credit for Gods work? If that is the case, the OP contradicts Christian belief.

Edit to add comment

[edit on 6-8-2010 by sheepslayer247]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

A plea to atheists … please live us Christians alone…you have your freedom because of us, don’t you see this?

To the neutral observer, did you realize this?

To the atheist, what are your thoughts here? The more you are militant against people of faith, the more you are hurting your cause…

I don't thank Christians for the freedom to believe. I thank myself for being intellectually curious enough to discover the lie that is religion.

As you obviously deny non-Christian religions (since you are not posting for the rights of Moslems, Hindus, Jews, etc., only Christians), you must understand a lack of evidence for those religions. Is it really so difficult to realize that Moslems, Hindus, Jews, etc., think the same thing about your Christianity that you think about their belief systems?

And get this, you can go to the next step and realize that they all think your religion is wrong and you think all their religions are wrong ... what if ... imagine, if you can ... perhaps ... just maybe ... they're all bogus? Could it be?

As far as connecting Christianity with a government designed to allow freedom of religion and expression, that is something of a disingenuous argument. If it was a fact that Christianity was the predominant belief of all the founding fathers and if they had formed a Christian government that allowed atheism, perhaps there would be a point. But this is not entirely the case. If you notice, our government was formed, explicitly not to be one that officially sanctioned a religion. That is precisely what was be avoided.

Atheism exists because people educated themselves and used reason and science to discard antiquated illusions of misguided guilt and ignorance. Atheism existed long before America ... and will still be around long after it, as well.

Lastly, Atheists, at least in the form of me, will continue to persecute you poor Christians as long as you post trolling pleas begging for us to do so.
:shk:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

A plea to atheists … please live us Christians alone…you have your freedom because of us, don’t you see this?

Ah yes, the long war on Christianity.

Yes, the long war on Christianity. I pray that one day we may live in an America where Christians can worship freely! In broad daylight! Openly wearing the symbols of their religion... perhaps around their necks? And maybe -- dare I dream it? -- maybe one day there can be an openly Christian President. Or, perhaps, 43 of them. Consecutively."
— Jon Stewart

Its much funnier if you watch it though. Sorry there is no Youtube version I could post directly in the thread. But here is a link to it.

www.thedailyshow.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Uh.... Thanks? Thanks for believing in something so I can choose not to believe in it... ? Feel better?

To the atheist, what are your thoughts here? The more you are militant against people of faith, the more you are hurting your cause…

I'm not militant against people of faith, but what is my "cause"? I'm just really curious what you think my "cause" is...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Ok, I'm not militant towards people of faith, but I will take a crack at this.

One can not dictate nor legislate belief onto a free-willed individual. So, no Christians are not responsible for Atheists ability to not believe.

Ahhhhh clever switching of the wording for your straw man argument. The OP never said Christians were responsible for your "ability" to not believe God exists. He said Christians are responsible for your "FREEDOM" to believe God is non-existent.

Two completely different things.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
Treaty of Tripoli

"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

LOL!!!!!! Congratulations!!!! You've found evidence of international politics!!! That was written to a nation of people who worshiped ALLAH!!!

MUSLIMS.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Treaty of Tripoli

LOL!!!!!! Congratulations!!!! You've found evidence of international politics!!! That was written to a nation of people who worshiped ALLAH!!!

MUSLIMS.

Denial is not just a river the flows through muslim lands. If that quote somehow isn't enough perhaps you should try reading the Constitution and come back to tell us all the christianity you see.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Do I want you to say you follow or believe in jesus? Not particularly - I'd like you to openly and honestly state what you do believe (whatever that is).

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

Do I want you to say you follow or believe in jesus? Not particularly - I'd like you to openly and honestly state what you do believe (whatever that is).

J,

Friend, I believe many, if not most, of the founding fathers, agreed that "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" and because of that put a 'structure' in place to prevent that....

And it appears they were DRIVEN by a scriptural basis...

I dunno?

OT

PS: did u notice we got moved to BTS?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Treaty of Tripoli

MUSLIMS.

Denial is not just a river the flows through muslim lands. If that quote somehow isn't enough perhaps you should try reading the Constitution and come back to tell us all the christianity you see.

Hey TD!

So NOTurTypical was wrong?

How's the research going?

btw, u have always been honest, good job

Also, we got moved to BTS? Why? do you think?

OT

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Hey TD!

So NOTurTypical was wrong?

Clearly. The words speak for themselves.

How's the research going?

Really good. I have been working on a cool riff by combining three paradiddle-diddles and one 7 stroke roll.

btw, u have always been honest, good job

Also, we got moved to BTS? Why? do you think?

OT

I don't know but there seems to be a push to move anything related to religion but non-conspiratorial to ATS' outhouse. I think it stinks.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join