It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists should thank Christians for the freedom to NOT believe, wonder if they do?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
A plea to atheists … please live us Christians alone…you have your freedom because of us, don’t you see this?

A couple quotes for you to ponder…

Jedediah Morse (1761-1826), pioneer American educator and geographer, called the "Father of American Geography." He was also the father of Samuel F.B. Morse, inventor of the telegraph and "Morse Code,”

once said, "to the kindly influence for Christianity we owe that degree of civil freedom and political and social happiness which mankind now enjoys. In proportion as the genuine effects of Christianity are diminished in any nation, either through unbelief, or the corruption of its doctrines, or the neglect of its institutions; in the same proportion will the people of that nation recede from the blessings of genuine freedom, and approximate the miseries of complete despotism."Source: taken from an original in the Evans collection compiled by the American Antiquarian Society. David Barton, The Myth of Separation (Aledo, TX: WallBuilder Press, 1991), p. 128. Verna M. Hall, Christian History of the United States of America (San Francisco, CA: Foundation for America Christian Education, 1975), pp. v, 145. Peter Marshall and David Manuel, The Glory of America (Bloomington, MN: Garborg's Heart 'N Home, Inc., 1991), 4.25, 8.5.

Professor Charles Hodge, Princeton, in 1876, said, “the proposition that the United States of America are a Christian and Protestant nation, is not so much the assertion of a principle as the statement of fact. The fact is not simply that the great majority of the people are Christians and Protestants, but that the organic life, the institutions, laws, judicial, or executive, is, and of right should be. and in fact must be, in accordance with the principles of Protestant Christianity.

… All are welcomed; all are admitted to equal rights and privileges. All are allowed to acquire property, and to vote in every election, made eligible to all offices, and invested with equal influence in all public affairs.

All are allowed to worship as they please, or not to worship at all, if they see fit. No man is molested for his religion or for his want of religion. No man is required to profess any form of faith, or to join any religious association.

…The infidel demands that the government should be conducted on the principle that Christianity is false. The atheist demands that it should be conducted on the assumption that there is no God, and the positivist on the principle that men are no free agents. The sufficient answer to all this is that it cannot possibly be done."

To the neutral observer, did you realize this?

To the atheist, what are your thoughts here? The more you are militant against people of faith, the more you are hurting your cause…

Thanks in advance for your thoughts…

OT

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

On behalf of all atheists, everywhere:

Cheers Guys!!!

Can we all just live and let live? If some of us don't want to live the way(s) the others do, can we all just agree to disagree and still take time to be nice and courteous to each other?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ok, I'm not militant towards people of faith, but I will take a crack at this.

One can not dictate nor legislate belief onto a free-willed individual. So, no Christians are not responsible for Atheists ability to not believe.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Its ALWAYS the Christians that START the THREAD WARS, and when debated the ATHEIST respond back in VALID truths and it HURTS your FRAGILE feelings!!!

Stop initiating it all and NOBODY will show how WEAK and SILLY those beliefs really are!!!

Come on now, seriously!!

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Why thank you non existent god for giving us the ability to choose to believe in your non existence.

I'm sorry but really this is flame bait. I'm going to go out an a limb and say that they aren't going to apologize.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

One can not dictate nor legislate belief onto a free-willed individual. So, no Christians are not responsible for Atheists ability to not believe.

Thanks for your thoughts, but your "IF/THEN" statement is quite incongruent...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
LOL.... Yeah right.

Ever heard of The Dark Ages?

People killed and persecuted for "practising the evils of science"

We'd have flying cars and robot servants everywhere if it wasn't for the religious folks :shk:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
let's start with a few jefferson quotes.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors." –Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." "History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose. " — Thomas Jefferson to Baron von Humboldt, 1813 "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites" –Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782. "Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus." "The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ." "I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." SOURCE: Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President, author, scientist, architect, educator, and diplomat

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think the OP is trolling, considering most of the recent threads have been targetting and insulting atheists and now this...

We have to THANK Christianity?

Get real...
and welcome to my foe list.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by mr-lizard]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Thanks for the respected foe U2U...

The OP statements are what they are....the reader can accept or reject...it is food for thought

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
OH Brother!!!

Just the latest attempt - with a twist - to slap Atheists silly because "they don't accept the ?truth?"

As I've said before. Search Atheist on ATS - - and see who starts 99% of these threads - - and the OP's purpose.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
We have no reason to thank Christianity at all other than the humor that it brings to us when we need a good laugh.

BUT i will say that the FILTHY RICH televangelists, preachers, and pastors sure THANK their Christian church members VERY much for the money offering and donations that most think is buying them their FREE TICKET to heaven.

Doesnt get any more foolish when you look at it all from a non-brainwashed perspective.

AGGHHH, another good laugh from this stuff!!!! Constant comedy!!

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Hi Annee, welcome!

....no slapping from innocent ole OT

Just informing a lil history that anyone taught after 1963 wouldn't be aware of...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

For the "Instigators/extremists" on both sides It's like a game.

Let's make a new thread and try and get a rise out of the other side.... It's actually pretty pathetic.

I'd just say let and let live man....

For the Christians/religious peeps.... Practice what you preach, stop baiting people and proclaiming your way of life/beliefs are the best and just get on with doing Jesus/Gods work.... help people and do charity work.

For the Non-believers, If people wanna believe this stuff, let them get on with it... don't make threads rubbishing religions or peoples beliefs.... if they wanna believe all this stuff.... let them.
If they (like the OP) start baiting and giving you ****.... then cool, defend yourselves... But enough of the threads man.

It's always something like this.

"Religion is for the weak" Or "The Bible is a lie"

and also

"Atheism is a Fraud" Or "Atheism is a belief system similar to a religion"

It's all just silly man.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Thanks for your thoughts, but your "IF/THEN" statement is quite incongruent...

I didn't make an if/then statement. However, let me make one...

If one is born into this world with a blank slate (i.e., no religious belief) and they are free to "not believe", then no individual (or group of individuals) is responsible for that freedom of non-belief.

Individuals or groups of individuals may be responsible for our freedom to publicly practice a faith (or lack thereof), but belief is internal thought that can not be controlled by outside force....unless one is brainwashed.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
LOL.... Yeah right.

Ever heard of The Dark Ages?

People killed and persecuted for "practising the evils of science"

We'd have flying cars and robot servants everywhere if it wasn't for the religious folks :shk:

Hi ole friend, hope all is well

btw, OT's not religious

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm honestly getting sick of the attacks on atheism.

MOST atheists are passive, friendly and not militant and being honest most atheists couldn't give a damn if you worshipped a three headed sheep called Barry or a piece of magic moon rock, as long as nobody gets hurt and nothing gets broken. But considering religion is one of the biggest causes for pain and misery on the planet, i think YOU should be thanking us atheists for not ridiculing your violent beliefs.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Geez. Yes. Everybody please leave everybody alone to worship as they wish in peace. And leaving everybody alone includes staying out of civil/secular government business and using or allowing the use of your faith or lack thereof to be used as a political tool.

As for thanking Christians for the freedom?
That's just silly.

[edit on 8/6/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baloney
ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Its ALWAYS the Christians that START the THREAD WARS, and when debated the ATHEIST respond back in VALID truths and it HURTS your FRAGILE feelings!!!

Come on, that was a lazy reactionary post....you obviously don't know OT

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Another thread from an insecure Christian. As I always say if you believe your faith to be true then why care what anybody else has to say or think about the matter.

The only thing I thank Christians for is Christmas, and even that loses it's significance after finding out Santa Clause doesn't exist.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join