It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Can Sink Our Aircraft Carriers...This kind of gets frightening.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The US are constantly playing war games, and conducting military exercises with foreign navies.
These are always taken very seriously, there is a great deal of professional pride at stake on all sides, if navy X can beat navy Y in some war game.

The results of these naval exercises are studied afterwards in minute detail, and used to improve tactics, (and technology), and provide realistic simulated full combat experience for whole crews in peace time.

Now US carrier battle fleets at full combat readiness status, have more than once had a foreign submarine surface right along side a US carrier. Thus demonstrating that small quiet electric boats CAN evade the most sophisticated antisubmarine detection the US has.

An Australian Oberon submarine once took a really close up photograph of the propellers of a US nuclear powered carrier that was at full battle alert during a joint exercise.
The Chinese (cheeky buggers) have popped up beside a US carrier, during exercises more than once, even when they were not even supposed to be part of the war game.

The idea that US carriers are totally 100% protected is nonsense.

If a nuclear torpedo sinks even one US carrier and takes a full crew of 6,000 Americans with it, that might turn around the US publics enthusiasm for warfare.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Arm the Japanese Navy and let the old enemies have at it with each other.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
One has to take into account that while carriers ARE the arm of the military they aren't alone. Subs, AWACS, destroyers etc. They are covered. Try to attack them and see what happens.

I believe that the counter measures utilised by a carrier group are not suited to the angle of attack and speed of such a projectile . Think of it as a penetrator device with massive kinetic forces unleashed from virtually overhead the carrier .

The Pentagon has been worried for years about China getting an anti-ship ballistic missile. The Pentagon considers such a missile an "anti-access," weapon, meaning that it could deny others access to certain areas.

link

This weapon hypothetically could expand Chinas sphere of engagement , denying The carrier battle group - proximity to the Chinese shoreline.

A volley of these weapons would be relatively inexpensive when considered against the price of a carrier and so many lost souls.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Yep, my dad used to be in the navy years back. Did a few war game exercises as well. Always said they could shoot anything down in the air, but could never find a submarine before they were dead. This was around 15 years ago, but I imagine not much has changed in detection capabilities.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

If a nuclear torpedo sinks even one US carrier and takes a full crew of 6,000 Americans with it, that might turn around the US publics enthusiasm for warfare.

Au contraire, it would further wet the appetite for warfare the Americans have. They would use this as rallying cry, 'Remember the (insert carrier name here)' they would say.

You do not understand the psychology of American people.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
We should have our aircraft carriers made in china now, problem resolved.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

Au contraire, it would further wet the appetite for warfare the Americans have. They would use this as rallying cry, 'Remember the (insert carrier name here)' they would say.

You do not understand the psychology of American people.

Ah !!!!!!!!!

Now you are beginning to understand.

When the Nazis bombed civilian London, instead of sticking to bombing only military targets, it just made Britain more determined to fight on.

When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, it made Americans really really angry!
The Japanese thought , Wow! we sure kicked some ass that day.
But then that American boiling seething deep down anger only strengthened America, and made it more determined to fight Japan.

And when America launches a surgical strike against some defenseless little third world country, Americans say "gee we sure won that one easy".
But all it does is really piss off a really really determined enemy even more.

America always win short battles but always lose long wars.
That has been the case in every strictly American war since WW2.
Americans think the quick surgical strike with overwhelming military force and superior fire power will win a war.
It does not, and has not.

Americans say, we will never be beaten.
Every American will fight any invader on American soil to the last man and the last bullet.

But exactly the same American thinks a single air strike will totally defeat and demoralize a foreign enemy on HIS home soil. "Shock and awe" is what Americans like to call it.

Just realize that some poor uneducated rag head, or bare footed starving gook, will fight for his home, his family, and his country, just as determinedly as some affluent cigar smoking, Corvette/Mustang driving American.

It is why America always loses wars.
Americans just don't understand the PSYCHOLOGY and the MORALITY of warfare, and never will.

Warfare is a lot more than just blowing things up and killing and torturing people, and making your enemy more determined to win.

But that concept is far too sophisticated for your average gun loving American.

Whenever Americans start torturing prisoners of war, you know you have already lost that war........

But that too is far more than most Americans will ever understand.

[edit on 7/8/2010 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

America always win battles but always loses wars.
That has been the case since WW2.

[edit on 7/8/2010 by Silver Shadow]

ah because now you think usa won ww2? They certainly defeated japan thanks to atomic bombing, but that's it.

But you're right about the rest. Every folks in a village will fight to defends what they know, their loved ones etc.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Conan The Usurper]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This missile has been posted on ATS over 9000 times and has already been discussed time and time again, at length. It would be a waste of time typing old material out all over again, so I'll just provide a link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7/8/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by aspx
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

of course the united states will never go to war with china again, China has a nuclear weapon now and Americans only attack nations without defenses,

if you want a war with china this is whats going to happen in New York, Texas
etc www.youtube.com...

americans are truly cowards, why don't you guys already attack North korea or Iran
pussy cats

So all Americans are cowards. Hmm spoken like a true paper ass no offense. It funny because people like you are the first to cry when people are lumped to together unless you are doing the lumping.

It is to bad ATS is full of idiots like you.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Foolish thinking that US carriers are "titanic's"
ofcourse they are funerable..on paper the defence of them are superier but in practice they will fail on all fronts...

money was always moore important than quality...

[edit on 7-8-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by speeder619

Nobody be invulnerable to nuclear attack at this time. That be the reason why no nukes be dropped since the first 2.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
China can sink the worship,.. but it's not yours. Don't use the word "ours" because I am not on anybodies side. You are probably the descendant of a ship full of criminals that was send from England to murder the natives.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
globalwarming-arclein.blogspot.com...

Can't beat the speed of light
. I bet you that weapon is much closer than China's weapon. China and Russia are just huge propaganda machines when it comes to anything they have militarily.

Besides China would end its existence attacking a US carrier and the world im sure will be plunged into a world war. What does that solve? Nothing.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike2000z28

I'm not sure I agree with you on the point you made about China and Russia being propaganda when it comes to their respective military. It may be of interest to you, and other readers of this thread, that during the Cold War it was widely known that the USSR would spank NATO in Europe. In fact the only reason West Germany was occupied was to slow down the Russians to give those brave boys in DC and London enough time to threaten to press the button. If the Russians agreed then Nato would cede any ground taken at that point.

I think the most important point I can make here is that even though the "Commies" had the capability they didn't use it. Rest easy America, your enemies are not from without but from within.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by SOXMIS]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
First I have to admit that I did not read each post all the way through so sorry if this has already been said. In the article that I read, it was said that the missile has no way of being guided on a precision path to intercept a carrier and that the professor interviewed said that he has no idea how the chinese would control it with the precision needed to sink a carrier.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thats frightening? What do you think the rest of the world thinks about the United States having the capabilities that they do?

I dont normally post in threads like these because you guys are thinking of this as some sort of football game, but I think it could evolve your thinking a little bit if you turned the tables a bit and imagined being some other country for a while.

Perhaps it will give you a new perspective.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
How is this really all that frightening? If we'd keep our guns in our pants and didn't feel the need to go around attacking other countries left and right, we wouldn't have to worry about this sort of thing.

Imagine how much safer this country would be if we took the budget for one air craft carrier group and rededicated it towards securing the border.

Imagine how much brighter this country would be if we took another carrier group's budget and put it towards education.

Imagine another group's budget going to space exploration, seeking new resources and new scientific knowledge on our neighboring planets and moons.

Then maybe we could devote another carrier group's budget towards scientific advancement in other areas, such as food production or alternative energy.

A fifth group's budget could make a ton of progress repairing and upgrading the country's infrastructure, which would also be beneficial to our ailing economy.

A sixth group's budget could work towards paying the principal on the national debt... gee what a horrible thing that would be.

Our country would be a hundred times better off just from that, and we'd still have five carrier groups left in the event that we actually needed them for a real, worthwhile war someday.

We'd be better off in the long run without the damn things.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I wouldnt mind the US sending nuke right into the great wall. Just to say hello were watching.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

So all Americans are cowards. Hmm spoken like a true paper ass no offense.

Well, take away an American's gun, and he will cry like a baby.

The most pathetic sight I can imagine, is an overweight and unfit American stripped to his underpants with his gun taken away from him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join