It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Can Sink Our Aircraft Carriers...This kind of gets frightening.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fred call
China Can Sink Our Aircraft Carriers...This kind of gets frightening.

Right, and don't take this the wrong way - but the U.S has been able to wipe out any other country since before I was born - for some that became a fear - for others it was simply an unfair fact of life that was to be respected as you would anything else that could kill you.

It is interesting to see an American in fear of someone elses military...unprecedented in the last 20-30??

-B.M

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The reality is still however, that hitting a USN Carrier with a ballstic missile, will not be an easy task, even without the electronic countermeasures, and then getting past SM-3 and SM-2 missiles. Not saying the threat should be disregarded, however, hitting an object moving at 35 knots with a ballstic missile, is possible, but not some walk in the park either. I think the Navy has been quietly working on this threat for some time now.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

However, I thought that I was reading how US and military sources are now saying that they now feel (in light of reassessment of the level of advancement in Chinese military tech - those missiles and the J-20 for example) that the USA can no longer assume it will automatically maintain military superiority in regards it's navy/carrier/overseas theatres...

By the way, did anyone else notice how soon after the mysterious West coast US off-shore missile sighting the US top brass came out saying that they had re-assessed the capability/progress the Chinese had made with the DF-21D ASBM - does anyone else think it could be because they witnessed a test/demo firing of one?

Didn't the US military get quoted as saying something like "We know what it was, it wasn't ours, but we know it isn't posing a direct threat"? - which would fit in with a jointly arranged/expected demo of the system?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Aircraft carriers are outdated in my opinion and were only the must have during WW2 but now its nuclear subs.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
reply to post by firepilot

However, I thought that I was reading how US and military sources are now saying that they now feel (in light of reassessment of the level of advancement in Chinese military tech - those missiles and the J-20 for example) that the USA can no longer assume it will automatically maintain military superiority in regards it's navy/carrier/overseas theatres...

By the way, did anyone else notice how soon after the mysterious West coast US off-shore missile sighting the US top brass came out saying that they had re-assessed the capability/progress the Chinese had made with the DF-21D ASBM - does anyone else think it could be because they witnessed a test/demo firing of one?

Didn't the US military get quoted as saying something like "We know what it was, it wasn't ours, but we know it isn't posing a direct threat"? - which would fit in with a jointly arranged/expected demo of the system?

No, absolutely no one who is knowledgable about it, thinks it was a DF-21 launch. I had read about the DF-21 well before that ever happened. And Chinas modernizing their military has been going on for quite a while, and yes we cant just assume we will always have superiority around there. Any country that just assumes anything, will lose. the US Navy has been working on measures against the DF-21 for some time.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
A country should have the means to be able to defend itself against more oppressive neighbors, no?

Say you own a 9mm pistol to protect your house with. Sure it makes you nervous that your neighbor, who has different principals than you, may posses a 12 gauge shotgun to keep his house safe.

But if you don't impose YOUR rule on HIS house, maybe he won't point his gun at you.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Don't need to read anything other than the title post for me to say, GOOD.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join