It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Can Sink Our Aircraft Carriers...This kind of gets frightening.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
China Can Sink Our Aircraft Carriers...This kind of gets frightening.

Chinese missile could shift Pacific power balance

By ERIC TALMADGE, Associated Press Writer Eric Talmadge, Associated Press Writer – Thu Aug 5, 5:43 pm ET

ABOARD THE USS GEORGE WASHINGTON – Nothing projects U.S. global air and sea power more vividly than supercarriers. Bristling with fighter jets that can reach deep into even landlocked trouble zones, America's virtually invincible carrier fleet has long enforced its dominance of the high seas.

China may soon put an end to that.

U.S. naval planners are scrambling to deal with what analysts say is a game-changing weapon being developed by China — an unprecedented carrier-killing missile called the Dong Feng 21D that could be launched from land with enough accuracy to penetrate the defenses of even the most advanced moving aircraft carrier at a distance of more than 1,500 kilometers (900 miles).

news.yahoo.com...

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
They can, but they wont.

China is actually not as insane as we would like to think they are...their economy is doing just fine, and they own half of the US anyhow in matters of debt...they want us (the US) to remains strong and stable so we can pay them back one day...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
i personally think this is a good thing. after all if America became untouchable there's nothing to stop them doing anything they want. the result of china having this tech is that America might think twice about how they deploy their carriers. imagine if they sold this to Iran.. it would be a bit of a game changer wouldn't it?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
WE will never go to war with china,.
MSM fear advertising.
There are more countries that are allies than people think.
It is the ones that don't join the "gang"that will have conflict

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

of course the united states will never go to war with china again, China has a nuclear weapon now and Americans only attack nations without defenses,

if you want a war with china this is whats going to happen in New York, Texas
etc www.youtube.com...

americans are truly cowards, why don't you guys already attack North korea or Iran
pussy cats

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I thought plenty of countries could sink US carriers.. Mainly EU states though so no need to worry about a war there..

But as someone said above.. China only want to play at their weight and as the second biggest nation economy, they need to upgrade their arms.

And to be perfectly frank.. Someone needs to counter the US in the Pacific.. Sorry US people but in all bloody fairness, your governments as of late aren't exactly trustworthy and known for their respect for life..

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Read the article ...

And think about it logically.

It says china could sink an aircraft carrier IF the weapon becomes operational in a year or two AND the U.S. doesn't come up with some countermeasures - which they always do.

For another thing, it says this is a mach 10 weapon. The U.S. has been testing a scramjet engine for a couple of years that can supposedly go that fast, so somehow china already has one and it's almost operational. Right ...

Last, IF china has a mach 10 weapon (they don't), something going that fast isn't exactly "nimble" and can turn on a dime. But still it has to hit a carrier moving at over 30 knots.

Fear and hype ...

Yawn.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
There has always been anti-ship and anti-capital missiles. Saying China can sink our carriers is like saying the Russian Navy have ships. The propaganda may say one thing but it is never as easy as point and click = boom. A Carrier won't be sitting all alone off-shore without defensive suites. Plus if they want to doom their entire country they could do it. But they won't for obvious reasons.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Also just remember we have Maverick and Goose on our side..we can't possibly lose.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
One has to take into account that while carriers ARE the arm of the military they aren't alone. Subs, AWACS, destroyers etc. They are covered. Try to attack them and see what happens.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The most vulnerable assets in modern day warfare is naval assets.

Any naval vessel on open seas is like a man standing in a open field.

The only warfare the US has ever engaged in, in over 20 years has been people with NO aircraft, no Naval vessels, No actual armament.

I hope to hell we never do again.

Want to hear something funny, google Ron Paul on this very issue.

We are the police of the world, why the HELL do you think the world hates us!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by aspx
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

of course the united states will never go to war with china again, China has a nuclear weapon now and Americans only attack nations without defenses,

if you want a war with china this is whats going to happen in New York, Texas
etc www.youtube.com...

I seriously take offense to that. All of us are not cowards. Our Gov. might take a cowardly strategy to deal with countries, but that sure as hell does not make me a coward.....We as a country have many courageous citizens as well. Careful how you word things next time, thats my advice to you pal. As far as this thread goes, this is scary tech for China to have, I really doubt that it will ever come to pass for them to use it on us unless there is some extreme situation of a world war, but the fact that this weapon exists I think is a good idea for the fact that it puts our country on the edge, and TPTB here in the US wont be the top dogs any longer on the sea.

americans are truly cowards, why don't you guys already attack North korea or Iran
pussy cats

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
These communist devils want nothing more than to turn our stars and stripes into a red flag. The terrible thing is that many so called americans want this to happen. Any more I am beginning to think being an American is a matter of the heart, not a matter of birth. Freedom will only remain when we stand up to our enemies such as China and Russia, and most of the middle east.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
While underestamating the potentiality of an adversary is always the first step in loosing a battle with your foe. This is (as stated by others) A very extreme case of wishful thinking an media hype. ie: propaganda.

To exploit any perceived vulnerabilities of a Carrier, you must shoot past the rest of the group. An Aircraft carrier is NEVER alone! It brings it's own gang. Not to mention the eyes from space that can see and destroy this threat quickly.

The USA may not be the best at other forms of warfare, but we certainly are the best in the world at missile defense. Oh, and by the way, the response to an attempted launch of one of these would not be something we would like to witness!

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Zeptepi]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
The most vulnerable assets in modern day warfare is naval assets.

That's because they are the extension of the military. Aircraft carriers are KING. They project their power from a singular base.

Any naval vessel on open seas is like a man standing in a open field.

Not true. The military knows the value of the carriers. They are NOT alone. They are very well protected and not by just their own defense. Tora, tora, tora or Midway are movies from the past. The technology today grants the owners of carriers a much better defense. I can go in detail if you wish.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Read Sun Tzu.

Never engage an enemy unless you have already won.

That is just one tenet that frelling makes sense.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

A lesson not learned in Korea, Viet Nam, the central and south America wars. No wonder we're doomed to repeat this mess.

"Frelling"? You a Farscape fan?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree with your assessment, but will slightly quibble...

Aircraft carriers are KING.

Only the Russians (there may be others...) refer to their vessels in the masculine...so, technically I'd call OUR flat-tops the QUEEN!

( And, in chess...SHE is most powerful too. Tell THAT to the patriarchal misogynists in the military!! Hee hee
)

Frelling yeah! ( yes..from FarScape.
)

"frakking" is the alternate choice, from BG (new version)...

However....missiles from China?

I think there are going to be counter-measures available that just aren't made public --- yet. Example: The LAUNCH detection of the missile! You can bet that many "eyes" are constantly monitoring for that.

And I imagine the ships have defensive capabilities that, again as mentioned, are classified.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fred call

Pretty sure a nuclear warhead would sink most boats too.

There are more bombs that people on this planet.

That is a scary thought.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Reply to post by intrepid

Please go into detail. I would like to read the information you possess.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join