It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have an inflated ego/are you starring in your own show?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Nice, very well put.

Anyone notice how there are different definitions for the ego? There is the Freudian, the modern psychological, the mystical, the poetic/artistic, etc.

Most don't refer to something negative that needs to be gotten rid of.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

There's this man called Paul Hedderman, see him on youtube, who talks about starring in your own show. There are two realms; the realm of what is not happening - thoughts about tomorrow, yesterday etc. And the realm of what is happening - this here, now, present moment.
You are always the star of the show in the 'realm of what is not happening', and anything can happen there!! We can play god, but it is all illusion. This is why there is so much confusion, we fail to see it as unreal, then no wonder we feel unreal.
In the 'realm of what is happening', only this is happening. You become insignificant and real.
Check out Jac O'Keefe, Neelam.
Non-duality is the way.
It is magic. Real magic.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I have to say that I actually had the reverse effect, all my life I was put down and had absolutely no self esteem and because of that no motivation or ambition to do anything. I served my country not because I felt passion about it or even civic, I felt I couldn't screw it up, that's it plain and simple... I also thought this was the only way I would even be successful in a career because they provided for college, until I found out I even screwed that up by not being full time they would not provide full tuition, this didn't help matters. I am now thirty eight and breaking away from the feelings of no ambition, low self-esteem, and no motivation, I have told myself the most important thing, to myself that we are all part of the whole, hence there is no one more deserving of true success and happiness than that of anybody else. It's still not ego, it's more of if you want it, you ARE entitled to it, but not in the sense you may be thinking, it's more of in the sense that even if you're not the most intelligent or gorgeous person out there, it may take you twice as much effort to reap the same reward but that you and I and everybody is entitled to pursue their reward.If that makes sense. I beleive that the only thing that stops you is the limits you place on yourself. AND FAITH... that's the biggest one FAITH IN THE FEELING THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO ACHIEVE WHAT YOU WANT AND IN YOURSELF TO BE STRONG ENOUGH TO GO AFTER IT! Without even a thought of being better than or less than someone else, but to tell yourself "I am better than what I AM today". If that makes sense.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Ego says i am better than you, ego is the thing that says i am different to you. Ego is the separator, the maker of conflict. Ego is the unreal self that we have made. A false prophet, a false idol.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Ego is the one who says i must be better. Better than what? Who made a judgment?
You are perfect and whole in this moment, if you hear otherwise, that is ego talking.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
My dear sister, I know exactly what you're saying. My life purpose from the age of 17 to 38 was raising my children. Now, they are all grown and on their own, doing very well (Thank You Jesus) and now I don't feel any purpose like those many years. I will be 39 next friday. What has helped me through all this is prayer. Because, even before I had children, before I first sinned, my first interaction with His Spirit and sense of purpose came and I knew my purpose then. Now I have time once again to focus on Him and with this has come many, many blessings. If you would like to hear about them send me a private message. Selah!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Ego is the one who says i must be better. Better than what? Who made a judgment?
You are perfect and whole in this moment, if you hear otherwise, that is ego talking.

I agree, it is detrimental to compare yourself to anybody else one way or the other, the only person to compare yourself to is to you, you are you and nobody else, when you think of it this way"I can be a better person than I am today...tomorrow", then that is when you can truly achieve happiness...whatever it is you hope to accomplish, whether it be being a better I don't know, a better listener, or a better plumber, that's just examples but I think you can get what I am saying. And not saying I can be better listener than you or her/him etc...

[edit on 7-8-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Complete and perfect now, not tomorrow, not when, but now. Always now.
When it is really seen that only now exists, when else can you become?
When the 'seeking to become' stops, it will be obvious. When seeking stops the seeker vanishes.
This is peace.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Itisnowagain]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I have to disagree here, we're here to perfect ourselves therefore, a mean, awful, nasty person who sees the error of their ways sees this only by telling themselves "I can be better than this". Right? Become nicer and more pleasent to be around? I mean it this way, when I had no motivation, ambition, and low self esteem I was also very negative about everything else around me. So IMO it was detrimental to me, and I woke up and said "I don't have to be this way, I can be better". Only when we become better for ourselves can it help the whole, the sum of us all, then all is whole again. You're not whole and perfect until you have purged yourself of negatives wholly, whether it be negativity, ego, misery, pain, self pity, and that is a big one, etc. That's just what I beleive. I certainly wouldn't want a serial killer to think he/ she is perfect right now, would you? To heal the whole, we must heal ourselves first. I don't think you were understanding what I was trying to say.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!
I think I starred nearly everybodies posts! I Love this galaxy!

1stly Yes I have an inflated ego! Just puffed up enuff to remain comfortably bouyant as I can! Sometimes it inflates and other times it deflates but it is always pressurized from my POV [point of view] so as to maintain some kind of stable keel to swim through lifes currents and eddies with!

As for being a part of the architecture... well we are all on tour!

Here is why!...

Nothing is forever as everything changes everything constantly! Just wait a bit and get the timing and placement right with your next carrot and stick actions and hopefully you won't have to end up killing and replacing that which is not bringing you joy!
Time flows like a river and you can swim however and wherever you want to within it, but go against the slipstreams and you'll get burnt by the friction! You wont want to leave time to much or for too long as that is clearly where we are all like a fish outa water! Nice for a visit...but you wouldn't want to live there [besides it's already full of ascended buddhists watching Dr Who
]

Personal Disclosure: Without an Ego there is noone to direct Cognito Ergo Sum! IAM and damnit I'll blow my own horn thanks! I only have to impress myself as I am my own task master! Be kind to your slave's OK! Let them go and set them free! If they come back... well you know the rest AKA Love Unconditionally and it shall be returned in generous kind!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Is it not the suffering that pulls you to change. If you hadn`t felt the pain
would you seek relief?
We only change to feel better, we are pleasure seeking missiles.
What if that 'feel better feeling' was not somewhere else, or sometime else?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

This was an absolutely beautiful post.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AProphet1233

Nice, very well put.

Anyone notice how there are different definitions for the ego? There is the Freudian, the modern psychological, the mystical, the poetic/artistic, etc.

Most don't refer to something negative that needs to be gotten rid of.

No, most don't, but as a Utopian myself, I have studied how Ego can cause disruption and destruction and not just on the whole but in my own life as well. Thus it is my goal to make my own Ego more rational and less megalomaniacal than it has been.

link   
All i`m trying to say is ego takes away what is rightfully yours - happiness and peace. How can you ever know of peace when all you hear from the 'mind made you' is - one day it will be better, not good enough yet, soon. It`s not about being better, or worse, it`s about being : )

link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I will check those sources out.

Thank you so much!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Well, you and I are more alike than you realize. I had the same problems and as I said, my inflated ego came about not from a healthy sense of self-esteem but more from a sense of if I don't do for myself, no one will, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't take much to make yourself believe you are more than you are when you are telling yourself that to protect yourself from the truth of the fact that you are part of a whole and not a true singularity.

We are all individuals with individual contributions, but it is how they fit together as a whole for the end result that motivates me now, rather than what I can get from day to day. Does that make sense?

Thank you for your post. I really appreciate it!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
Ego says i am better than you, ego is the thing that says i am different to you. Ego is the separator, the maker of conflict. Ego is the unreal self that we have made. A false prophet, a false idol.

This is how I am feeling these days. Ego lies to us and tells us falsehoods based on our own desires rather than reality. Thus, it is the hardest thing in the world to control or be realistic about.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

It will blow your mind. It is the holy grail. Hope you feel it. x

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by assasinforfather
My dear sister, I know exactly what you're saying. My life purpose from the age of 17 to 38 was raising my children. Now, they are all grown and on their own, doing very well (Thank You Jesus) and now I don't feel any purpose like those many years. I will be 39 next friday. What has helped me through all this is prayer. Because, even before I had children, before I first sinned, my first interaction with His Spirit and sense of purpose came and I knew my purpose then. Now I have time once again to focus on Him and with this has come many, many blessings. If you would like to hear about them send me a private message. Selah!

I think it is absolutely wonderful that you have this incredible foundation of faith in a greater power. I think that it is essential to have that sort of faith in SOMETHING to get you through the trials and tribulations of life. My own faith is very strong, though not the same as yours, and it is a culmination of 43 years of study and searching for my own answers.

I agree that prayer is a very powerful thing in that no matter what your faith, prayer is full of your intent and wishes and love and is being sent out into the world to join the energies of the cosmos to affect change. It has been proven in quantum physics even that when a person thinks something hard enough or often enough, it can create that exact situation, whether positive or negative. This is the cause of self-fulfilling prophecies, etc. When you say you have no luck, you will have no luck, etc. Being positive in your daily self-talk and other interactions will have the positive effect of change in your life.

Now, while I know this to be true, , I am after all human and full of Ego, so I am one who struggles with negative self-talk. This is part of my daily struggle. Telling myself that my current value is what it is feels negative to my Ego, but in reality it isn't and I have to try to keep that positive frame of mind about it to make it positive.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

I agree, it is detrimental to compare yourself to anybody else one way or the other, the only person to compare yourself to is to you, you are you and nobody else, when you think of it this way"I can be a better person than I am today...tomorrow", then that is when you can truly achieve happiness...whatever it is you hope to accomplish, whether it be being a better I don't know, a better listener, or a better plumber, that's just examples but I think you can get what I am saying. And not saying I can be better listener than you or her/him etc...

I agree with you. It is the baby steps in the self talk that make the most progress.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join