It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing footage of a lightning strike like you've never seen !

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I guess lighting does hit the same spot twice
. (Look at the middle section of the scene.) I wonder, though, was this due to a time loop? If not, that old saying is negated!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
I guess lighting does hit the same spot twice
. (Look at the middle section of the scene.) I wonder, though, was this due to a time loop? If not, that old saying is negated!

From what I understand, if the conditions are right for lightning to hit once, then it's more likely that similar conditions aid the chances of it hitting the same place again. As far as how often it hit the same places in the video goes, a previous strike still leaves a trail of ionized air behind it & subsequent strikes follow that trail.

Or maybe it's true that lighting doesn't hit the same place twice...Because after the first strike that place isn't there anymore...

[edit on 6-8-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wow! Breathtaking! The sky turned into a giant Tesla coil! That was one of the most amazing one seconds worth of footage I've ever laid eyes on.

I just love the world we live in sometimes.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for posting this. Man, the lightning really had in for that building in the background. LOL.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I wonder if the OP has a copyright number. I could have sworn I seen this video on another site under a different name.

Even then, I'm not sure you can copyright an act of nature.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There is some footage of a stormchaser only feet away from a "stepper" charge rising from the ground, I think it is part of a docu. As can be seen in the video the discharges, if that is the correct term, or some of them, are actually multiple strikes through the same passage. This Wiki link is very helpful,

en.wikipedia.org...

While ball lightning, mentioned in the article, is mostly an anecdotal piece, I have seen ball lightning myself, and although you have only my word on that, at least I know it is a real phenomenon.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Wow, amazing video. Is it just me or does some of the lightning appear to travel up from the ground to the sky? If so then I never realized lightning could do that.

I'm a stormchaser type of guy and I love a good storm, but this video makes me think twice about putting myself into some very risky and stupid situations.

I saw a lightning strike about twenty feet away from me while I was in my truck. It's very difficult to explain so forgive me if Im not very detailed, but it was really wide, lasted what seemed like a couple of seconds and I swear I could see sparkly like lights surrounding the bolt and circling it. It made a god awful crackling, electrical sound that I can only describe as a combination between a transformer exploding and the sound a bad buzzer makes on a cheesy game show.

It hit the base of a tree on the side of the road and the base of tree exploded, throwing dirt and rocks into the air. The tree fell over as I was driving by it and i had one of those lucky to be alive, top of the world feelings.

Oh, who I am kidding....I'm still going to chase storms

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackHerer4Prez
Wow, amazing video. Is it just me or does some of the lightning appear to travel up from the ground to the sky? If so then I never realized lightning could do that.

You're absolutely correct that lightning strokes can and do travel in both directions ... sky to ground as well as ground to sky. In fact, there's even a 3rd direction from cloud to cloud as could clearly be seen in the vid. Most people however tend to think of lightning as traveling basically in one direction only, from sky to ground,
The creator of that vid caught a perfect example of a couple of strokes around the 23 sec mark that can clearly be seen to be traveling from the ground and up into the sky .. and in slow motion, look like a pair of missile launches

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
That is amazing video! Incredible how that one lightning strike keeps following the same ionized path over and over. I've seen lightning out here in Arizona during the moonson that reminds me of the scene from the modern version of War of the Worlds. Seeing the upward lighting strike reminds me of a recent science article of lightning shooting up into space and the strange "sprites" that pilots witness:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ada6cbea70ce.jpg[/atsimg]

Credit: European Space Agency

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
wow that tower on the hill gets absolutely battered by the lightning!
It looks really nice. Is the video fast forward at all or is this normal speed?
the energy it gives it must be so intense

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing footage. Thank you SO much for sharing OP... my favorite kind of post.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
about halfway through it looks like a satanic goats head..lol

really, it does..good find OP..

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Not sure what channel it was on but I watched a show on this last night. I'm pretty sure the guy on the show was the same one. It was either, science, history, discovery or nat geo (about all I watch).

Showed how he does the photography and actually showed a storm that may have been what this video was taken from.

I believe the show was called Lightening Chasers. Really awesome footage on the show.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Awesome video.

Don't know why...but this reminds me of missile command on the atari 2600..lol.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

That addy is legit. It's not OP's video thought. He is just the one who posted it here. I've been contact with the guy and he is easy enough to google.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
beautiful... I'm in awe. I love lightning and thunder, and seeing the lightning this way just magnifies my amazement. Sublime.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Wow. A bit off topic I know but thanks for reminding me a of a piece of my childhood. I don't think I ever would've recalled the name of the game but I definitely remember having and playing Missile Command. Thanks for reminding me of it.

[edit on 8/6/2010 by Three_moons]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Detrucci
wow that tower on the hill gets absolutely battered by the lightning!
It looks really nice. Is the video fast forward at all or is this normal speed?
the energy it gives it must be so intense

Normal movie/vid playback is usually around 24 frames per second. But based on 9,000 images/frames that were taken and the fact that it takes approx 90 secs to play the entire vid means that he must be playing back at approximately 100 frames per second.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Awsom !!!!!! Is that on earth
sure it is... What an amazing planet we have... for now

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Amazing! I was looking around and found these two also pretty cool...

Yours was the best though!

[edit on 7-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join