It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winston Churchill documents disclosed ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Ok, heres the link...

ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk...

... this is interesting to say the least...

also BBC covered it - www.bbc.co.uk...

Also on CNN - ireport.cnn.com...

Things are really starting to pick up .... /discuss

[edit on 6-8-2010 by shadow3467]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I'm surprised people aren't taking more note of this. This is an example of real, documented UFO activity. It may not be as sensational as some other stories, but it's documented (although the veracity of the documented claims remain in question technically,) and that's what matters in my opinion.

Yahoo has picked it up as well: news.yahoo.com...

British wartime prime minister Winston Churchill banned the reporting for 50 years of an alleged UFO incident because of fears it could create mass panic, according to claims made public on Thursday.

The grandson of an RAF officer who was one of Churchill's personal bodyguards wrote to Britain's Ministry of Defence in 1999 about the alleged incident.

His account and Churchill's claimed reaction featured in documents released on Thursday from Britain's National Archives.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
I'm surprised people aren't taking more note of this. This is an example of real, documented UFO activity. It may not be as sensational as some other stories, but it's documented (although the veracity of the documented claims remain in question technically,) and that's what matters in my opinion...

It's not documented in the least. The claim comes from a 1999 letter from a third-hand source. There is no documentation supporting it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

I suppose that isn't enough. Everyone should be on this! After all, third-hand sources 50 years after the fact are definitive proof...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

haha . why doesnt it surprise me that none of the poeple who posted this realise it was from a letter sent to the MOD in 1999? They all think its official documents from the 1940s

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The existence of the letter is documented. The claim is what is still in question. Which is why I stated, "the veracity of the documented claims remain in question technically." I choose my words as carefully as I can, as I am a skeptic. I am by no means asserting that this proves the claims. But the existence of the letter is worth interest in my opinion.

[edit on 8/6/2010 by AceWombat04]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

yeah becuase ufology doesnt have enough people making wild claims with no evidence

[edit on 6-8-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow3467

Churchill certainly expressed an interest in UFOs and would have needed to be blinkered to remain unaware of them. In a sense, I'm rather surprised it took so long to attract his attention. The recent letter in the MoD files release is interesting, but has to remain hearsay.

The letters below are genuine and highlight the time Churchill showed an interest...

Letter from Churchill, 1952
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/195482b0bdc6.png[/atsimg]

Reply from the Secretary of State

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50483648228e.png[/atsimg]

'This was a time of great paranoia and fear. The Government took a decision to throw a blanket over the UFO scare and say as little as possible about it,' said Clarke. 'There certainly was a cover-up, but what was being covered up was Cold War paranoia and our fears over our radar system. It was nothing to do with aliens.'
Guardian 2001

In 1950 the UK had a small panel of experts looking into the UFO phenomena. It was called the Flying Saucer Working Party and was based on the working suspicion that 'saucers' were ET in origin...

The papers reveal that the “Flying Saucer” study was the brainchild of one of Churchill’s most trusted scientific advisors, Sir Henry Tizard, best known for his role in the development of Britain’s pre-World War Two radar defences that proved so decisive during the Battle of Britain. Tizard felt the saucer sightings could not be simply dismissed as delusions, and demanded an investigation of the subject following a pro-saucer newspaper campaign backed by one of the most respected figures of the day, Lord Louis Mountbatten. Mountbatten and a number of other highly placed officials - including Battle of Britain mastermind Air Chief Marshall Hugh Dowding - had privately concluded that flying saucers were advanced craft from outer space.
Flying Saucer Working Party

Perhaps the 1952 memo wasn't the first time he'd been informed about the subject?

Conclusion from the study...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ea10347b3ed.jpg[/atsimg] Original report from the MoD website (pdf)

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Kandinsky]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Topic already being discussed in this thread.

Thread closed.

top topics

join