It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Channel: It's Real Purpose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Discovery Channel: It's Real Purpose

dsc.discovery.com

River Monsters, Air Jaws, Croc Attack, Hunters of East Africa.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
After hiking for the last month on the Pacific Crest Trail I have returned home and began watching television again. I felt that I would enjoy the Discovery Channel to remind of my experiences.

After a few afternoons watching, I noticed how it hardly ever reminds us of the beauty of nature anymore. Most shows are about animal attacks and the danger that lies outside of our house.

I believe this is a great marketing decision because it keeps people in their homes and scared to venture out. I have several friends that would never go camping alone for even a night.

I will let you all draw your own conclusions on this subject. I will just say that I'm very disappointed, and even think it goes further than marketing.

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Mabey cause its freaking shark week!
of course its all people getting eat

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Have you never heard of Agenda 21?

Check out this map:

"They" don't want you going into the widlerness. if you can do that, you might be able to feed yourself. People who can feed themselves are not as easy to control.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Fear is the root of all evil.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
We've noticed that too - the shows are portraying nature as being to violent, aggressive and always competing for the next meal. Since people breath the same air as other creatures, that probably makes us violent and aggressive too and all for the sake of survival. We just turn off the television when something upsetting like one animal attacking and eating another comes on. As far as I've learned it's usually the sick, dying, frail, newborns that get to be the next meal - a merciful act.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Good to know shows like Life and Planet Earth aren't showing us the splendor of the outdoors and are just a stepping stone in the secret plot of Discovery to undermine our vision of the great wilderness.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
..My brother once told me of a time he spent collecting mushrooms in Fort Saint John BC Canada It was amazing how much money he made picking those things ...anyway he told me about a night a Grizley was manoeuvring around his site ...Him with no gun, nothing.....My brother was either to crazy or too stupid to realize . Sometimes we find ourselves in a bad place at a bad time and can still tell others about it ..

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I believe that it entirely within the realm of possibility that the fine details of public mood swings are instigated and managed though perhaps not 100% effective , it serves to keep the agenda going in the right directions.
Perhaps the |pitiless nature eat or be eaten shows are used to desensitise us to violence enough to accept current casualty levels etc.
Maybe even psyche us up for a new attack?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sureshot321

So they are trying to keep us scared and indoors, but they have Bear, the dual survival guys, man/woman wild, and Survivorman, Bear again in Worst case scenario all telling us about how to survive adverse situations, most of which being outdoors. You're theory doesn't add up.

Animal attack shows are on often because the general populace likes to see a sensational story with a little blood and gore sprinkled in for good measure. It's sure fire ratings.

Discovery Channel also takes the time to show you how to survive nature, and does in fact have great animal programs on as well.... one of my favorites is the "Growing up" series as well as "Big Cat Diaries" which are both on almost every day. And of course we can't forget Mike Rowe.

Mike keeps me from wanting to do many disgusting jobs that are out there in the world. If the conspiracy also includes keeping me indoors to avoid becoming a diaper inspector, or getting whale semen on my face well then I'm glad the conspiracy exists.

Chill out, not everything is a friggin conspiracy.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

ahhh. I appreciate your reply, but when you mention Bear teaching us how to survive it is still all about fear. Most people would resign to the fact that they are not fit enough to do the things he does....so they just sit inside.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

It's not a matter of being fit enough, it's about learning something, if you are in bad situation perhaps you know what to do instead of being afraid. You don't need to go out there and be a wild man for the fun of it like he does, but if you are in a situation that you can't get out of maybe you know how to take care of yourself instead of awaiting help or death as the case may be.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to Bear. I think that he has helped me be more confident when outdoors and away from civilization, and that helps when I'm surrounded by snakes, gators, swamps, and of course the Everglades.

I don't believe Bear's programs are about fear at all, but conquering the fear and looking for solutions.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

They had several massively beautiful series on nature in the last few years alone.

Blue Planet, Planet Earth and LIFE.

Plus, as the first responder said, its SHARK Week. Besides, an animal can be both deadly and beautiful. I have no issue watching an animal attack program and still respecting and caring about animals, simply because they are hungry and want to protect themselves and their young against our intrusions doesn't make them less beautiful.

It also isn't about FEAR, its about respecting them and being cautious. Besides small children I really can't think about an animal attack show that would induce fear, unless you're watching it from a hut on the African Savannah in the midst of the territory of a Pride of man-eating lions.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

That´s a stretch.

If anything, watching these shows on Discovery makes me want to get out there.

Nature can be cruel, so why not show it.

You can´t tell me that shows like Survivorman, Bear Gryls and Ray Mears are making people stay indoors, these shows clearly show how you can survive in the wild, and the beauty off it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

That´s a stretch.

If anything, watching these shows on Discovery makes me want to get out there.

Nature can be cruel, so why not show it.

You can´t tell me that shows like Survivorman, Bear Gryls and Ray Mears are making people stay indoors, these shows clearly show how you can survive in the wild, and the beauty off it.

This, watching Animal Planet and Discovery made me want to get out there, I have learned so much about the wilderness and surivival with these shows and reading books.

I am really confident that I can survive.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
EDIT: Why the hell were there 2 of my posts?
How did this happen?

It posted 2 of the same post

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Mythic Chris]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythic Chris

Jeah, me too.

The only problem for me is that we don´t really have remote areas in my country(Holland), that are big enough to roam free.

We have all sorts of rules here, can´t camp out in nature, can´t set traps, can´t make a fire, it sucks.

Still, I go out there and hone my skills and I love every bit of it.

top topics

join