It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gun etiquette and karma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
gun etiquette and karma.
i was basically taught at a young age that no body sees my firearms unless i'm hunting or shooting with a buddy, or i'm pointing it at you.
in ways i cringe every time i see people passing around firearms, bragging about their new toys.
i know quite a few militia, arizona and new mexico, and at times these guys drive me nuts with this behavior. somebody hold out their pistol for me to hold, i look at it and say, 'neat', or something.
other issues, in arizona especially, guns are all over some flea markets.
i don't really have a problem for this, except very few actually i.d. buyers. i've watched pistols be sold to guys who speak no english.
another issue, if you sell a gun to somebody that kills an innocent with it, are there karmic points to be payed?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by rubbertramp]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Guns are scary things to some. And yes they can cause a lot of damage to the human body if one gets shot by a bullet. Dangerous things they are.

I tend to think of guns like cars. A car can kill just as many people as a gun. If I plowed into 40 people I'm sure 20 might die instantly.

As for a gun, if I shot 40 people 20 might die instantly.

(Above is hypothetical)

I look at handing someone a weapon along the same lines as letting someone taking your car for a spin around the block.

I just bought a shotgun (Mossy) and I do actually feel what you are talking about, I do not let others see it unless I am going shooting in the woods or you step in my house uninvited.

Then again, I do not let others drive my car either.

Thanks op for bringing up this intellectual subject.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
agreed ettiquette is lacking these days....out target shooting and the boys point the muzzle at everyona as they set it back in the truck bed....i tell 'em, but ppfffftt.....right over their heads...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
If the folks who flash their guns around had even the first clue about what Fruedian psychology says about such behavior they'd all be hiding their weapons away as vigorously as possible!

I too very much dislike it when people engage in this sort of behavior. I see it as a direct disrespect to my safety and the safety of all others present.

Good post!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

don't get me wrong here, to me they're basically just a tool. i'm very pro-gun.
i just have a problem with what i classify as, 'stupid humans with guns'.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Sounds like you were taught well.
To me brandishing is asking for trouble, a little wave will get you a grave.
Karmic debt? My gut says yes because of the irresponsibility.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

If the folks who flash their guns around had even the first clue about what Fruedian psychology says about such behavior

even though i don't flash, i'm clueless as to what he said.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Honestly I'm not sure if it's directly from Frued, or derivative but handling guns in this manner is considered compensatory behavior. Thus, "Hey, everyone look at my rifle and please ignore my *ahem* gun".

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

ah, got ya'.

in a way it reminds me of these guys driving huge 4 wheel drive trucks.
5 feet off the ground, huge tires.
never taken off the pavement, to afraid to scratch that fancy peint.
the gun issue is similar in ways.
just like the trucks, most who own them really don't know how to drive them in real conditions.

like all these rifles i see, it's one thing to just pop off shots and hit targets. but put them in a real life situation, and they couldn't hit the side of a barn.....if it was moving.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I was taught the same thing. Never pull out (show) your gun unless your going to use it. I used to be all about guns, but now I have become much wiser and see no need for them. Anyone who feels the need to own/carry a gun (with exception of military/hunters) is either looking to cause problems or is fearful of the situation they are putting themselves into. Both can and should be avoided. If they are not avoided than it is sure to cause bad karma. Those militia's could have the same effect (and even more powerful) by putting their life on the line as they are already doing, but without those guns, and instead learn how to communicate and problem solve. But they would rather be 'manly' instead of intelligent. And yes, selling guns for profit making purposes, is bad karma.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
great thread.....

on 2 separate occasions i have ended friendships because, while showing off a loaded gun, they didn't even realize where they were pointing it- at ME! their karma was instantaneous. of course this is different than when guns have been pointed at me intentionally and i am aware of the difference very strongly.
i too at at young age was taught how to respect guns and I have never ever pointed the bang end at anyone or anything i wasn't going to shoot. the gun world doesn't involve emotions, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
it gives me a boost knowing some agree with me.

about 3 months ago, i was vending at a flea market in az.
guy picks up a glock.
checking it out, all looks good.
pulls trigger.
BANG
luckily he was pointing it up.
guy was good, instantly dismantled it, laid all the pieces back on the table, calls vendor and idiot, 'i can't believe you laid a loaded gun on your table'.
vendor replies, 'oh, sorry, i thought i unloaded all of them.

stupid humans.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The thing is people are not taught properly how to handle firearms. I own several and treat them with respect as they are deadly weapons.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
There must be something fundamentally wrong with me because I enjoy handling firearms and there is nothing wrong with my other gun. I enjoy how they operate and the varying types of engineering that goes into their mechanics. I see firearms as tools and if you properly clear them, they are as harmless as a hammer.

Carelessness is what causes accidents, not the tool itself.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The southern states do have very relaxed gun regulations and would benefit from slightly tougher regulations.

But NEVER should a law-abiding, legal citizen be denied the right to have a firearm.

Just needs some improvement in some areas down there.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

In answer to the question, does Karma apply, yes, it does. Karma follows every thing you do, and everything you say. It is all energy, and energy can be positive or negative in application. Just always follow the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have others do to you," and you never have to worry about Karmic effect.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
does it seem logical to think,

that if everyone in the world were givin a gun, we would have a couple years of chaos and then a hundred years of peace?

like immediate natural selection, sped up unaturaly.

sure their'd be a few innocents lost and thats horrible, but we're already losing them today and they havnt a way to fire back at the moment.

if guns were seen as honorable and publicly available they would be more respected,

instead guns are portrayed as criminal, a tool that only they can use,

instead of seeing guns as the tools you use against the criminals.

kinda idiotic. to leave the best defenses to the offenders,

what do the defenders have to defend with? the law? what a joke. they only ever show up AFTER its happened.

top topics

join