It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France to use spyware to enforce three strike rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Confidential details of a French government consultation on how to secure Internet access for 3-strikes/graduated response measures, have leaked. The consultation is run by the Hadopi, the new public authority set up to oversee the French government's graduated response / 3-strikes law for copyright enforcement. The measures target peer-to-peer file-sharing in particular.
(...)
The Hadopi has asked for the software to contain 4 key elements. They are
* the real time observation of protocol traffic;
* analysis of configuration files, including static analysis of the programmes installed and the router, and dynamic analysis of the use of the connection;
* logs of all activity on the Internet access - including activation /deactivation, modification of any security profiles - to be kept for a year;
* a system of alerts warning users if they are about to use a P2P connection: for example, "You are about to download a file using a P2P protocol - do you want to continue?".

Source: www.iptegrity.com...

When shoddy Russian hackers uses spyware to gather information it's bad. When it's a government doing it, it's downright scary. Will the next step to have those capabilities embedded in your operating system? I advocate use free software as the community will never willingly do it. The source code is public and many eyes are watching.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by gagol]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I find it very interesting that "free and democratic societies" have ridiculed China's heavy handed overlording of their country's internet use, then turn right around and use heavy handed overlording tactics on their country's internet usage.

The fact that it is being done because a few obsolete and backwards organizations that are ripoff scams just makes it that much more pathetic. Yea, I am talking about RIAA and MPAA.

This will turn from protecting copyrights to flat out invasion of privacy in the blink of an eye. Not only that, legal file sharing will suffer as well. People will no longer enjoy the freedom of long distance collaboration and before you know it..."All Your Internets Are Belong To Me".

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Let's not forget Australia, they are now even rolling their own fiber optic network to the homes in order to control the "pipe". Yes you will be able to choose your provider, through our filters...

Truth is, governments do NOT want transparency and free flow of information. Filesharing (free publicity, really) is just an excuse to control the flow.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's amazing to me the lengths that we'll go to in order to make sure that Ozzy has a few more bucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of piracy. I am, however, a big fan of freedom and detest all these cheesy excuses that are being used to detract from it.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I ask the armies of coders hackers and overall computer geeks worldwide, tell us how to bypass this primitive technology which they think will score them a hole-in-one.

If you can provide us with the information to combat this, than we can send them into the rough to swing away endlessly kicking up the dust.

If they can get this through, it will spread.

And they will start using it to ban people that post on websites they deem "dangerous and crazy!" like ATS basically.

It's a slippery slope to totalitarianism and I am trusting the good people of Earth will throw a wrench in this asap. Good luck.

Question: If this is just some type of spyware cannot it be removed? Or could you hijack it and wipe it's database while implanting false leads??

I am just asking.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I honestly don't know all the details... maybe if the software is not detected you will get your Net connection cut-off. I think it's more a way to funnel fund to friends of the party than trying to really do something about it. Even the English are backing up from the Three Strikes Rule... it will harm the interests of general public and commerce in general.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well said ..my friend..

Well said..

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gagol
reply to post by muzzleflash

I honestly don't know all the details... maybe if the software is not detected you will get your Net connection cut-off.

Thankfully there is Wi-Fi now. That means you can steal someones internet, and then get them banned. Hah.

Also that is why I suggested maybe you could hijack the program and wipe all the negative stuff out, and plant fake stuff in. Basically taking over this program and controlling it seems like a solution, but that is why I seek the help of the Internet because I do not know exactly.

I am just guessing about it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It wouldnt take long to work around any such system just like copy protection on DVD's, software etc. If the French government is anything like our old government they will probably spend billions on this before they realise it will not and cannot work.

I have been considering organising a protest to take out some of the members of these lobby groups that pressure governments into making rash decisions. The plan is to get enough people to stop purchasing products from a single member until these unworkable plans are changed or the media company goes bust. People power in the UK already managed to change the Christmas music number one so I can see this might work.

In the EU internet access is classed as a basic human right but this doesnt stop governments creating legislation at the behest of these archaic media companies who equate a download to the loss of a sale which is not the case.

I'm not an advocate for piracy but these companies just dont get it. If media is available at the right time and the right price people will pay for it.

For example, I would probably pay to watch Inception now if I could download it but will probably wait until I can watch it for free in a few months on satellite. I wont partake in that strange and archaic process of going to the cinema.

[edit on 6/8/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I can't believe they are planning doing this. But as someone else said, there will always be someone to go around it. I just hope NO ONE in France endorse it. But they will probably play the Pedo card.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DavidOBE

I know many people who lived in France for many years. They told me it's the land of bureaucracy. If one government is stupid enough to try to pull this one, it is France. I guess they are gearing up toward a second revolution, with the revolts and car burning reports I heard about last year.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Pretty scary stuff all of this. I have long been against the whole situation of the media industry pressuring the government into inforcing stuff like this. As someone before me said, the idea of boycotting a product or companies service to make them go bust would be a great thing. Alot of people seem to forget that people power is something we have, and its something we need to put into use.

Every day it seems someone else is trying to play big brother to us all, I just wonder if one day it will get to the extreme case of open rebellion ??

top topics

join