It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net neutrality is about to end, you will be restricted online

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

If Google starts to block out pages, people will just jump ship to another search engine. If Verizon starts to block out site, people will just jump ship over to another service provider. It is that simple.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well im sure theres ways around this issue such as using different dns servers or proxy servers to get to where you want on the internet, someone will find a way to crack it...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
We don't have net neutrality now and we never have. The FCC tried to make net neutrality the law as part of an effort to upgrade the U.S. internet service in both speed and functionality.

But the big media companies didn't want it and took them to court. The court essentially ruled in favor of the big media companies that they could continue to NOT have net neutrality. But they didn't ban the idea, they just said the FCC lacked the authority to order it. It would have to be approved by Congress.

I think one of the things that is misleading about several of the articles I've read on this is that we currently actually have net neutrality and that simply isn't true.

Not that I'm not for it. I am strongly for it and totally understand what the FCC was trying to do. It was quite unusual, in fact, because this is a U.S. government regulatory agency that was actually trying to do something for the good of the country rather than the corporations. They got smacked down.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by ClintK]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

i think it still would be possible to access these "banned" websites by using anonymous web browsers. And if such a web censorship happen, im pretty sure there will be alternative.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Everyone needs to put on their brakes for a moment. When you follow the links back to the "Bloomberg Businessweek" site you get this:

Google, Verizon Said to Have Web Deal as Talks Go On

Aug. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Verizon Communications Inc. and Google Inc. have struck their own accord on handling Internet traffic, as both participate in talks by U.S. officials on Web policy, two people briefed by the companies said.

The compromise as described would restrict Verizon from selectively slowing Internet content that travels over its wires, but wouldn’t apply such limits to Internet use on mobile phones, according to the people, who spoke yesterday and asked not to be identified before an announcement.

Since Verizon develops mobile phones (not computers), I can see why they won the rights to control the internet on their products. Outside of that one small provision, Google fought and won to keep your computer's access to the web open and free. It is not all lost.

We just have to hang in there and see what happens next.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Section31]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
like i said maybe it is easier to just let them have it
and the people can start there own fast cheap and fully open internet much how it was originally meant to be

The people did

No matter which side of the argument you go on as far as the origins of th net, it comes down to one thing
Tax dollars created the internet...and it is us whom pays taxes...not some magic space dollars, but the dollars (or pounds, yen, whatever) of ordinary citizens.

The internet *is* ours...this is akin to building a road on your lawn and the feds coming in and saying who is allowed to drive on your road.

The net is ours and should be protected and free even more fiercely than guns...the gun represents physical power of a individual...the net represents mental freedom for the masses.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Net neutrality?

When in the last decade have we had "Net Neutrality"?

Have you not heard that everything you search on Google and other sites is immediately available to Homeland Security through convenient arrangements between BigGov and BigNet. Google is rumored to have been founded by the CIA.

Everywhere you surf on the net you encounter snoop software being embeded on your computer without your knowledge or permission. The by-line to all in the last decade is "download nothing". How "neutral" is that?

In case you haven't heard your every move on this and all internet sites are closely observed and monitored by BigGov software with the highest quality alarm indicators when you say the wrong thing.

Big Brother IS Watching 24/7.

"Net Neitrality" died on September 11, 2001...RIP

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The thing that bothers me about this net neutrality thing isn't that they will make it difficult or even impossible to access the web via computer. The trend right now is toward mobile devices accessing the net. Ipad and it's descendants will be the future of computers. All they have to do is wait for the technology to change enough to where desktops and laptops are a thing of the past and, voila, they have control of the net.

It's the same trend that caused dial-up to disappear. More and more people are accessing the net via blackberrys, droids, Iphones, etc. as we speak.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Honestly, I love this site.
But does anyone reasearch stuff before posting? It seems like the past year or so people will jump the gun on every piece of a story the hear. If this has been posted I apologize, I am at work and didnt read the entire thread.

Google and Verizon has issued public statements about this.

www.engadget.com...

"Update: Phew... we think. Google's Public Policy Twitter account just belted out a denial of these claims, straight-up saying that the New York Times "is wrong." Here's the full tweet, which certainly makes us feel a bit more at ease. For now. "@NYTimes is wrong. We've not had any convos with VZN about paying for carriage of our traffic. We remain committed to an open internet."

Update 2: Verizon's now also issued a statement and, like Google, it's denying the claims in the original New York Times report. It's as follows:

"The New York Times article regarding conversations between Google and Verizon is mistaken. It fundamentally misunderstands our purpose. As we said in our earlier FCC filing, our goal is an Internet policy framework that ensures openness and accountability, and incorporates specific FCC authority, while maintaining investment and innovation. To suggest this is a business arrangement between our companies is entirely incorrect.""

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Fascism pure and simple. The definition by Benito Mussolini is the marrige of government with corporatons. A very good suggested reading is THe Rise of the Fourth Reich by Jim Marrs. After reading his book you will understand where this came from. This is just the beginning ATS hang on cause the wierd # o meter is going to hit ten shortly..

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Does anyone read replys? Or just the op?

second line.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ansuzrune
Fascism pure and simple. The definition by Benito Mussolini is the marrige of government with corporatons. A very good suggested reading is THe Rise of the Fourth Reich by Jim Marrs. After reading his book you will understand where this came from. This is just the beginning ATS hang on cause the wierd # o meter is going to hit ten shortly..

I agree...

The Jim Marrs book "The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies That Threaten to Take Over America" is a must have for those interested in what is happening to this country and this world. Ceck it out at:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281103648&sr=1-3

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by coop039
Does anyone read replys? Or just the op?

second line.

If you would bother to check, you'd note Misoir is "off line"

Try again when he's online or send a U2U

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Well, if they do this for the government......they have sacrificed themselves. The government will not bail them out...because they are not banks. Why would theyhave sacrificed themselves? Because no one, anywhere, will have anything to do with Google or Verison (and these are others in on this) AT&T, Comcast and Time Warner Cable.... if they pioneer in removal of our freedoms. Starting here! I'm guessing I won't be the only one. I will also check out every company that I do business with in the future too, to see who the owners and stock holders are......in case they cleverly try to change the name of their business. Watch the names of new businesses people, if they do this, and watch for the names of CEO's and high profile workers of Verizon and Google.......and never work with them again. I have already removed Google as my default search engine and made "Bing" my default search engine. As far as the others go.......I just never trusted them from the start and have never used them.......never will!

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Phenomium]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It isn't about "if" they do. It is about when they do. The almighty God (the dollar) speaks and the sheep follow. Their greed will eventually be their end, and the the rest of us poor stupid people will one day have the say. Just when those corporate morons think they have sucked the last drop of blood from our bodies, the people will rise and take back what has been taken away. Our dignity and self respect........

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If this happens, an underground internet will replace it.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Visitor2012]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Count on it happening. Big Business wants it that way.

The dream that once was America is dying and we are the ones killing it. It is not Obama. It was not Bush. It is us, because we are fat, lazy, stupid and have a ten second attention span. We are terrified about the boogey man Muslim, so much we allow ourselves to be violated in the name of security. We allow without a fight the electronic strip search our children and grandmothers because we are so scared. We allow our police to become paramilitary thugs, threatening us with 16 years imprisonment for the crime of videoing them in public during the supposed discharge of their duty, for which we pay. So we turn off the camera in fear,..and in apathy. We routinely vote from emotion instead of logic and use religious beliefs to guide legal questions instead of the blind intellect and rationality. We believe what's spoon fed to us and then we rant around around anonymously and pompously on the Internet like tough guys, but doing nothing. We permit our government to attack other countries unprovoked, slaying tens of thousands of their people in their streets and homes, then we are shocked when their brave young men sign up by the thousands in rags and sandals to fight back our military industrial killing machine. Would you not join as they do if, say, the Chinese sent battalions into your streets and homes, running roughshod? (Probably we would not not, since we allow Wal-Mart and Target to bring China to our doorstep just the same because it is oh so convenient and cheap.) We allow, nay, we encourage, our good sons and daughters to lay their lives down for "Freedom." Whose freedom? Are you more or less free than you were pre-9/11? Our young military men and women are being slayed for war profits, plain and simple, and we turn a blind eye.

America is a failing state, governed by corruption, populated by cowards and fools.

You and I are the murderers of our childrens' dreams.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by pajoly]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
It's been a while since this has popped up, the net neutrality thing. When I last heard about it, I got the impression that the term "Net Neutrality" is disingenuous. We pretty much already have net neutrality. What they are offering is the opposite of a neutral net. I've tried to use google to search for items on this but they're hard to find now. I did find a some though...20 or 30 pages in on google.

blog.teracomtraining.com...

Here's a video of someone telling more about the "Quality of Service." He seems a bit goofy but since the jargon concerned with this area can be quite difficult for most to comprehend, I can understand why

blog.teracomtraining.com...

Some other ones I found:

www.humanevents.com...

panasonicyouth.buzznet.com...

www.thedailyshow.com...

(that buzznet.com was the only place I could find the daily show segment I remembered seeing about this quickly).

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Zoodie]

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Zoodie]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If and when this happens, hackers all around the world will be taking down their systems forever.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
come on people....like this would ever happen? its a fantasy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join