It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather modification pilots having busy summer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Link to article

North Dakota has been experiencing an unusual weather pattern in recent days. There have been so many storms moving across the state, particularly from Montana into western North Dakota, that is has grabbed the full attention of those who see the storms up close and personal namely, weather modification pilots. "The pattern we're in is a westerly zonal flow through the atmosphere, very unusual for this time of year," said Mark Schneider, chief meteorologist for the North Dakota Atmospheric Resource Board. "Typically this time of year there is a long period of high pressure, and storms are steered around the state, but we are in a very aggressive, active pattern." The storms have brought high winds, heavy rainfall, damaging hail and spawned numerous tornado warnings since mid-July. "It's an abnormally active severe storm summer, I would say," said Schneider. Schneider, based in Bismarck, was recently at the Stanley Radar Center where one of six specially equipped Weather Modification aircraft serving District 2 is based. District 2 consists of Ward, Mountrail, Williams and McKenzie counties. Two aircraft are based in Watford City and one each in Minot, Williston and Kenmare. District 1, which consists of Bowman and a portion of Slope County, has two aircraft based in Bowman. "Our heavy hitter is in Williston," explained Schneider. "That's our workhorse. It's very important because the majority of storms during the summer come in from Montana. That way we can start seeding storms quickly." Seeding storms can accomplish one of two things increase the chance of rainfall by an estimated 10 percent or reduce the amount of harmful hail. Schneider received word Monday afternoon to put a stop to rain enhancement and switch strictly to hail suppression. "What we've been hearing from farmers is that they are wet enough and don't need any more rain," said Schneider. With the need for rain no longer a pressing issue, Weather Modification pilots turn their full efforts toward limiting the effects of hailstorms. Schneider calls hail suppression "beneficial competition." Hail suppression is designed to reduce the size of hailstones, sometimes reducing them to a size that will melt before hitting the ground. Various long-term studies show a 45 percent reduction in crop damage in areas where hail suppression has taken place. "That's what we do. We go in and get rid of the hail for the farmers around here," said Derek Peterson, a Kenmare native who is an intern pilot with Weather Modification in Minot. Pilot Eric Miller, of Indiana, also works out of the Minot International Airport. It's his fifth summer flying toward storms while others do their best to stay out of the way of dangerous weather. "It's a very different picture when you are up flying on a storm and get to see one that close," said Miller. "It's really impressive and you get a lot of really big storms around here. They train pilots to stay 20 miles away from those things and we go up and fly right next to them. It's kind of different." Surprisingly, turbulence in the area of a thunderstorm is usually limited. "Smoother than you think. It's really not too bad," said Miller. "We just tuck up next to the storm and fly along." Miller and other Weather Modification pilots dispense silver iodide or dry ice into the clouds of a thunderstorm. Depending on what type of plane is being used, the seeding is done from above or virtually within a storm cloud. "Every thunderstorm has an ice process going on," explained Schneider. "The way to think about it is, we make sure that the available super-cooled liquid water gets distributed in a very efficient way within a storm. It is hail suppression, not prevention." Weather Modification pilots are on call every hour of every day from June 1 through August 31. The season can be extended in eight-day increments if necessary, such as in times of a late harvest. Often pilots are flying after midnight, heading for storms building up during the early morning hours. "This year it seem half the flights have been at night," remarked Miller. "We've had a few at 3 and 4 a.m." With planes strategically placed throughout western North Dakota, usually no more than two are called upon per storm. Each plane carries an estimated two hours worth of dispersant. "It doesn't matter if it is 3 a.m.," said Schneider. "We launch aircraft and seed the storms. It gets interesting, that's for sure." Weather Modification Inc., based in Fargo since 1961, is the largest cloud seeding company in the world.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by hawaiinguy12]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I know weather modification/chemtrails have always been a hot button issue on this and many other sites but the proof is in the pudding. I've seen many patents out there for "Geoengineering" to combat "Global Warming" but what is the real story behind it? The article doesn't mention anything about what chemicals they use to combat the thunderstorms over the area but apparently they do it quite often. And how fitting is this little ending to the article...

Weather Modification Inc., based in Fargo since 1961, is the largest cloud seeding company in the world.
Jesus H Christ,I had no idea how long they have been testing such things. And how could we forget this lovely patent that someone brought to our attention many months ago?

US Patent #5003186:Stratospheric Welsbach Seeding for Reduction of Global Warming
It's really sad how many people deny this is going on RIGHT OVER HEAD

[edit on 5-8-2010 by hawaiinguy12]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the find. Up here we have been getting quite a few severe storms, though it is not unheard of where i am currently at.
star and flag for you.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

For the umpteenth time!!!!

Cloud "seeding", and the mis-identification of normal contrails as so-called "chemtrails" are TWO DIFFERENT subjects entirely.

Yes....for many, many decades it has been known that it is possible to help Mother Nature along by using aritficial means to add condensentation nucleii to the types of clouds that can eventually form rain...but the point is, it is done IN THE CLOUDS!!

And, at low altitudes, where those types (mostly cumulus) will naturally exist.

CONtrails are entirely different, they form for different reasons, MUCH higher altitudes, and have nothing at ALL to do with "weather modification".

[edit on 5 August 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
Thanks for the find. Up here we have been getting quite a few severe storms, though it is not unheard of where i am currently at.
star and flag for you.

Lucky! I am kind of a weather geek myself so I ask myself...why reduce thunderstorms/mother natures beautiful power (destructive non the less but still beautiful!)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

For the umpteenth time!!!!

Cloud "seeding", and the mis-identification of normal contrails as so-called "chemtrails" are TWO DIFFERENT subjects entirely.

Yes....for many, many decades it has been known that it is possible to help Mother Nature along by using aritficial means to add condensentation nucleii to the types of clouds that can eventually form rain...but the point is, it is done IN THE CLOUDS!!

And, at low altitudes, where those types (mostly cumulus) will naturally exist.

CONtrails are entirely different, they form for different reasons, MUCH higher altitudes, and have nothing at ALL to do with "weather modification".

[edit on 5 August 2010 by weedwhacker]

I understand this,trust me I know at different heights in the atmosphere the temperatures fluctuate drastically and the engines heat versus the cooler temps can cause this from the planes to create "Chemtrails" but I still think that "Cloud Seeding" is not a good idea and especially because its in the name of fighting "Global Warming/climate Change) Have you taken a look at that patent I linked? In the first page they mention putting oxides metals into the atmosphere to combat the change. Ummm no thanks I rather not get heavy metal poisoning

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Weather modification (cloud seeding) has been going on for decades. It is not being "tested", it is being done. The idea is to induce precipitation in existing rain clouds (as the article says). Here is a recent discussion which helps to clarify what it's about.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That patent has nothing to do with weather modification. Cloud seeding is done in the lower atmosphere and has nothing to do with reducing (or increasing) global warming. It has to do with precipitation. There is no indication that the method described in the patent would actually work and less than it is being attempted.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

AS TO "patents"...perhaps if you did more research you'd begin to understand the differnece between what a patent IS, compared to what the actual "invention" is NOT.

Here's one --- you tell me if you think this is feasible, or just too funny for words:

Passenger Control System During a Plane Flying ...patent#: US 6970105

More at patentlysilly.com

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

OMG! I think they stole that idea from me. Do I have any legal recourse here?

As for the patent about global warming, I believe there may be more but I'm not in a position where I can check.

Wow and it's been a while since I last visited this site brought to us by NASA. They've really jazzed it up. Wild how they're spending money and time on educating us about contrails and how they are "affecting climate and ultimately our natural resources."

But there's nothing new there as far as information.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

As for the patent about global warming, I believe there may be more but I'm not in a position where I can check.

Wow and it's been a while since I last visited this site brought to us by NASA. They've really jazzed it up. Wild how they're spending money and time on educating us about contrails and how they are "affecting climate and ultimately our natural resources."

Wow great find!!!!!!
Ok I'm convinced. If NASA (Or any other government agency)goes out of there way to "inform" me about a topic,then I believe the total opposite which would mean I totally and 100% believe in Chemtrails sorry no convincing me other wise,even with all the facts in the world you can throw at me.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Wow great find!!!!!!
Ok I'm convinced. If NASA (Or any other government agency)goes out of there way to "inform" me about a topic,then I believe the total opposite which would mean I totally and 100% believe in Chemtrails sorry no convincing me other wise,even with all the "facts" in the world you can throw at me.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Sorry double post....

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

???

That should be very subtle sarcasm...however, if it isn't...

Since you think that NASA "went out of their way"...(it's a really, really basic website...gee, it's hardly "going out of their way" to put that up!!

IF you ere serious, then I'm afraid Space Chimp Ham has only one thing to say ---

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6d601cdebe7.jpg[/atsimg]

But, I guess....if you think that NASA is a "government source" and therefore "unreliable", AND you apply that twisted logic to "chemtrails"....then I can only assume you also subscribe to a plethora of OTHER half-baked "conspiracy" ideas too? Since you singled out NASA, I suppose you're one of the Apollo "hoaxists" as well?

There is a very strong correlation between people predisposed to beleive ANY "conspiracy", no matter how ridiculous --- once they start on one, they tend to fall for them all....

...and, of course, NASA is NOT the only source for contrail information. There are only about a gajillion others...but, of course, to a "conspiracy" believer, they must ALL be "in on it"?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12

Originally posted by jvm222
star and flag for you.

Lucky! I am kind of a weather geek myself so I ask myself...why reduce thunderstorms/mother natures beautiful power (destructive non the less but still beautiful!)

To lessen crop damage for farmers, and also for insurance claims is why hail suppression is attempted.

Some areas they try to squeeze additional rain out of a storm, since much of it never comes out anyways.

But it is funny, how chemtrailers try to claim small aircraft like this piston engine Cessna 340, can somehow be chemtrail planes making big contrails in blue sky.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
cloud seeding is not chemtrails

chemtrails are not contrails

please stop using these words interchangeably

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

That's been out there awhile now...maybe 2005 or 2006? I think it started as a one-pager.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ
cloud seeding is not chemtrails

chemtrails are not contrails

please stop using these words interchangeably

I have tried to tell them over and over, than small general aviation aircraft being used to seed developing thunderstorms and snowstorms, does not equal proof for their grand chemtrail conspiracy.

But invariably time after time we get something like "chemtrails exists, we have proof of cloud seeding and dont any of you debunkers try and deny it"

All you can do is /facepalm...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
it has been an increadibly strange summer this year in Williston. I have come here three years in the summer and this july it has been basicly none stop storms and have been wondering why.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Edumacation is fun!

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
Ok I'm convinced. If NASA (Or any other government agency)goes out of there way to "inform" me about a topic,then I believe the total opposite which would mean I totally and 100% believe in Chemtrails sorry no convincing me other wise,even with all the facts in the world you can throw at me.

What utter nonsense!

Oh look, it's a NASA page all about atmospheric pressure:

Air pressure is the force exerted on you by the weight of tiny particles of air (air molecules). Although air molecules are invisible, they still have weight and take up space. Since there's a lot of "empty" space between air molecules, air can be compressed to fit in a smaller volume.

kids.earth.nasa.gov...

Using your HUGELY flawed logic, you will have to believe the exact opposite to what NASA says right?

Good luck with that!

new topics

top topics

join