It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP finishes cementing damaged Gulf of Mexico oil well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

BP finishes cementing damaged Gulf of Mexico oil well

BP has finished pumping cement into the top of its damaged Gulf of Mexico oil well as part of its "static kill" procedure.

The move comes the day after it was announced that almost three-quarters of the oil spilled had been broken down by natural forces or cleaned up.

Oil leaked into the Gulf from 20 April when the Deepwater Horizon rig explosion killed 11 workers. The flow was stopped on 15 July.

Work on a relief well can now continue.

Cementing through the top of the well is complementary to a "bottom kill" that will be carried out soon.

The cementing of the well "will virtually assure that there will be no chance of oil leaking into the environment", US oil spill response commander Thad Allen told reporters.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Well here we have it, a bit more good news coming from this massive environmental disaster. Lets hope we don't have any further complications to this.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

The BP explanation is totally ludicrous - it's impossible that all that oil has already been dealt with by natural causes.

More evidence to me that they have played this whole scenario in pursuit of their own heinous agenda.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Seems to me we have like "been here done this before" - whats different about them doing it this time? Don't cheer too fast, they aren't really finished repeating things yet. As for the oil being gone - reminds me of a cartoon - which way did it go George? BP will be giving out magic oil dispersant wands shortly at a service station near you!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

The BP explanation is totally ludicrous - it's impossible that all that oil has already been dealt with by natural causes.

More evidence to me that they have played this whole scenario in pursuit of their own heinous agenda.

Impossible? Or improbable?

I doubt it is "all' gone, but I do personally believe it is dispersing quite a bit. Raw Crude breaks down VERY fast. Especially in warm Gulf Waters. Especially when combined with a dispersant, that, well, disperses.

MUCH faster than, say, the processed oil that spilled from the exxon valdez.

I think many here are just too invested in wanting this to be the ELE they have allowed themselves to get hyped up over to look at the actual science involved.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Earlier today on Fox news Shep Shepard had a professional from Florida on Studio B stating that much of the numbers used simply came from a spreadsheet and a large portion of the oil is still in the water.

He continued to state that the 3/4ths statement of the government was really just not the case, and that is not what the official documents were implying.

Shep added that this is possibly just another attempt to call the emergency over and then move past it.

I am usually not a big fan of Fox news, but this time I think they hit the money.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Oh, i suspect most of it is still in the water, too.

I'm just saying that it can indeed break down. Many here seem to think that is a fairy tale. And even when it breaks down, it still remains in the water, to a degree. It's never 100% gone, even under the best of circumstances.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Exactly, this will prove to be a disaster for years to come. What did they say? That the spill is equal to 17 Exxon Valdez. Much of the hullabaloo of disappeared oil is surface slick, not the deeper stuff that hasn't even come to the surface.

I even still have a feeling that the seabed could be compromised and there are a few threads on that one alone.

join