It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese missile could shift Pacific power balance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Chinese missile could shift Pacific power balance

news.yahoo.com

Nothing projects U.S. global air and sea power more vividly than supercarriers. China may soon put an end to that.

"China can reach out and hit the U.S. well before the U.S. can get close enough to the mainland to hit back," said Toshi Yoshihara, an associate professor at the U.S. Naval War College. He said U.S. ships have only twice been that vulnerable — against Japan in World War II and against Soviet bombers in the Cold War.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We knew this was coming they did a test of this missile on JULY 4... totally not a message...

China also have used more energy in 2009 than the US. They also have huge currency reserves. They also have a huge manufacturing base. According to analysts, their defense budget, in real terms, is about the same as the US budget. The chinese people are NOT tired of war, americans are. China have 30 million men that will never find wives.

Of course NATO still have the edge in technology but technology is not all there is. See Nazi Germany vs Soviet Russia or NKorea/China vs UN or Talibans VS NATO...

The balance of power is shifting. And fast. Of course this could all end pretty quickly once their bubble economy bursts... but with all they have in their advantage... they could quickly recover from it.

The end of America sea supremacy is gonna be here next year... if not by chinese anti-ship missiles, then by bankruptcy.

But of course while China develops that, the US develops anti-missile technology.

BTW, the article is a long read, but a very good one.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

pretty sure everyone will be happy to see the US fall,
to much has it dominated and dictated how everyone run their countries outside their own boarders,

i can see 3 positive things coming from this

US losing control over other countries
Israel losing its Big Bully against its neigbours
and hopefully more diplomacy in future crisis and less bombs

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Yeah or more wars...

From the article...

While China's Defense Ministry never comments on new weapons before they become operational, the DF 21D — which would travel at 10 times the speed of sound and carry conventional payloads — has been much discussed by military buffs online.

A pseudonymous article posted on Xinhuanet, website of China's official news agency, imagines the U.S. dispatching the George Washington to aid Taiwan against a Chinese attack.

The Chinese would respond with three salvos of DF 21D, the first of which would pierce the hull, start fires and shut down flight operations, the article says. The second would knock out its engines and be accompanied by air attacks. The third wave, the article says, would "send the George Washington to the bottom of the ocean."

Comments on the article were mostly positive.

Certain analysts say however that it could take a decade to have a reliable threat.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry but I view this report as a type of propaganda effort.

Basically the gist of it is a smoke screen.

Make your enemy think you are weak where you are strong.

And the US military is extremely strong in missile defense technology.

Also, the myth that the Chinese can do anything militarily outside of their own region is foolish. The logistics of feeding and supplying a army that large is absolutely untenable.

Not only is the Chinese logistics situation awful, but their supply lines would be extremely vulnerable to various methods of attack, and you would have millions of men stranded with little food or ammo.

Sure they can totally dominate anything in their region, but they are still a very long way off from solving their massive supply issues as well as ensuring the safety of supply chains.

Oh and also consider this, China is the world's factory right now. They are becoming so overly polluted and the government does't seem to care. Their people are suffering greatly because of the vast pollution and yet it is hardly mentioned.

And the USA-NATO really has no reason to attack China or anything. I would honestly consider China and NATO as allies at this point. They do so much business together and the borders have been blurred so much in recent times.

SO the only way that China will go to war vs NATO is that if TPTB choose for it to happen and force it to happen. Neither nation really wants war as that war would destroy human civilization worldwide.

So that is why this craps all just propaganda IMHO. They are leaving out the harsh reality that exists while focusing entirely on overly idealistic fantasies of big epic modern wars. It's a pipe dream. I would like some of what they are smoking, though.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Guess it's time to show some of our advanced tech to force China into an arms race and bankrupt them like we did with the USSR. De-cloak a squadron of triangle ships over Beijing. Go ahead, make my day comes to mind.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

whats to say china hasnt got designs from the US its self?

they have Israel
they also have chineese rip off parts used in goverment computers and systems.
they have russian tec.

each country has a field which it exceeds others in

China has shown it can take designs from the US, Russia and so on and build off that,

why spend billions on designing a new weapon when you can take it from a country which has already spent billions on producing, testing and so forth?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

As much as id like to see the US government pay for its crimes.

.. I fear a communist superpower would do far worse.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
haha china. even if they can hit the carrier which i doubt, we'll just send in the b-2's and blow up the missile installation. they do not have anything that can reach the b-2's, even if they did, they would have to find it first.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

US = religous nut Jobs, run by fanatical christians
China, athiest wont really be influanced by religion

now who sounds much more sane

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
and scene.....

Dude in China: muahahah we now will launch the missiles and take out all the evil US carriers that are coming towards us, silly round eye's!

Obama; WTF we can launch lasers from space? Hook a brotha up!

US general: Make it happen number 1

Dude in China: holy crap! they have a death star! I told you we needed to kidnap George Lucas! Burns is giant flames.... ahhhhhhh

World: Damn you America we hate you more now!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Maybe I'm just a good old fashioned conspirasist but I think the US is in posession of technologies that are far, far beyond the rocket propelled exploding devices that the rest of the world is now comanding.

Case in point; Why would Clinton/US have sold ballistic missle technology to a quasy political nemesis if we didnt already possed the technology to destroy it from afar?

Answer: THEY WOULDNT!

Wake up. The science non-sense that we are force fed is dated back to the late 1800's at best (If not hundreds of thousands of years ei, see the bahagvagida).
China can't do jack and neither can anyone else. Once in awile we throw someone a bone so they can walk around all puffed up. Meanwhile TPTB are laughing all the way to the bank sitting on the real deal that could pinpoint zap anyone of us alone ofr by the millions where we stand.

Oooohhh....missles...aawweeeee. Give me a break.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I dont disagree...

... But China's record of humanity for citizens, its effort at concealment and its total lack of value for human life... is worse than the USA's I personally believe.

Id rather a US super power with all their current faults and efforts IE Iraq/Afghanistan/Corporations/Greed than a Chinese rule.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
US has space based weapons that make our carriers obsolete anyway. Its called always staying a few steps ahead.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Apart from the rest of the fleet with its destroyers/frigates and missile boats, what missile defence does the aircraft carrier itself actually have? Just asking because I'm not sure that they have any anti-missile defence weaponry on them.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

I dont disagree...

... But China's record of humanity for citizens, its effort at concealment and its total lack of value for human life... is worse than the USA's I personally believe.

Id rather a US super power with all their current faults and efforts IE Iraq/Afghanistan/Corporations/Greed than a Chinese rule.

Iraq, Afganistan, Iran prior to the revolution, South america
the US when it comes to value for human life is far worse then China

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The fleet in the persian gulf faces similar threats from iranian missles right now...
If there happens to be more missles launched than defensive ammo to stop them, Iran could sink more than one allied ship.
Though Iranhas nothing like the chinese missle as yet, it may be the price tag on a big oil deal when perfected later on...
Meanwhile im not so sure the allies will have an easy time attacking the iranians considering the balance of gear at this time...
It remains to be seen when there will be enough materiele for war stckpiled in the US/isreali arsenal.
It will take a monh ot two yet.....

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yet, the truth is that the US is rapidly becoming a communist superpower.

There is no longer a democracy, The Zionist Communists have carried out a coup d'etat and most US citizens haven't noticed yet.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I don't know much about control systems on the reactors on modern ships but why would you want to sink one close to your shore and chance a runaway reaction from a damaged reactor.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cambion
Apart from the rest of the fleet with its destroyers/frigates and missile boats, what missile defence does the aircraft carrier itself actually have? Just asking because I'm not sure that they have any anti-missile defence weaponry on them.

Nimitz Class carriers carry many types of air defense weaponry capable of intercepting missile attacks.

Usually they have 3-4 RIM-7 Sea Sparrow launchers.
3-4 Phalanx CIWS cannons.
Some have the RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile launchers.

Their aircraft also can perform anti-missile defense.

There are also many available countermeasures on the super carriers as well.

Decoys like the super rapid bloom off-board chaff which according to the source are capable of firing not only chaff but flares to throw off the guidance systems of enemy missiles/aircraft.

They have torpedo defense and countermeasures.

Also they have sophisticated Electronic Warfare capabilities that can jam enemy radar.

Combined with the many capabilities of the carrier battle groups' picket defense ships, it will NOT be easy to get something in to hit a carrier.

And who knows what kind of stuff they have that's classified or secret? There is no telling.

Source for my information.
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join