It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe: Unknown Object Sending Mysterious Radio Signals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Reportedly this a completely new observation, with one exception, but some of you might correct me on this. But right off the start, I'm going to say that I believe there is a completely mundane explanation for what is represented in this article, and you will too. But it's fascinating how we can find something new and interesting each day, and yet it's millions of light years away and millions of years old. We are basically learning something from the vast reaches of space each day, and one day we might come to realize that whatever we might imagine in our heads, might in fact exist out there somewhere. But let's get to it.

There is something strange is lurking in the galactic neighborhood and smart money says its a newly discovered micro-quasar. The unknown object in galaxy M82 12 million light-years away has started sending out radio waves, and the emission does not look like anything seen anywhere in the universe before except perhaps by Ford Prefect. M82 is starburst galaxy five times as bright as the Milky Way and one hundred times as bright as our galaxy's center.

“The new object, which appeared in May 2009, has left us scratching our heads - we’ve never seen anything quite like this before,” said Dr Muxlow. “The object turned on very rapidly within a few days and shows no sign of decaying in brightness over the first few months of its existence. The new young supernova explosions that we were expecting to see in M82 brighten at radio wavelengths over several weeks and then decay over several months, so that explanation seems unlikely.”

“We have just started processing data from an array of 20 radio telescopes across the Earth were taken for the central nuclear region of M82. These images will allow us to examine the structure of the new radio source in detail. However, processing such huge datasets takes significant amounts of computing effort and painstaking work. Only then will we be able to see if it is some rare form of micro-quasar. Watch this space…!” said Muxlow.

Source: Unknown Object In Nearby Galaxy Sending Mysterious Radio Waves

These are just some excerpts from the article, so I suggest reading it in full to get the context.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Excellent thread.

Here's hoping for an exciting explanation!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Intriguing article. This really got me going:

Yet it does seem to be moving – and fast: its apparent sideways velocity is four times the speed of light. Such apparent "superluminal" motion has been seen before in high-speed jets of material squirted out by some black holes. The stuff in these jets is moving towards us at a slight angle and travelling at a fair fraction of the speed of light, and the effects of relativity produce a kind of optical illusion that makes the motion appear superluminal.

I don't understand, if it appears to be traveling a measured speed, how is it not - How does anyone know for certain this is an illusion? This is the first I've ever heard of anything being able to measured at traveling FASTER than the speed of light, illusion or not.

How is this possible? How does something appear to travel at a speed it is not?

[edit: typo]

[edit on 5-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Was already covered months ago!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Wow, this is some fascinating stuff

S & F

And I will be following this story closely to see if they can figure out what it is

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by misinformational

Interesting question, it's answered in the article, but it's not an adequate explanation to the question you propose.

"The apparent faster-than-light motion actually is an illusion seen when a jet of material is travelling close to -- but below -- the speed of light and directed toward Earth."

I'll try to come up with an answer for you, unless someone beats me to it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Interesting enough, with the blast of radio waves coming right at Earth.
Faster than the speed of light means we should have (some) results soon.

Is there an estimation on when they could compile the data?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by misinformational

misinformational...

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been busy the last couple of days. But here is hopefully an explanation that will be satisfactory.

On superluminal motion (as this phenomena is called):

This phenomenon is caused because the jets are travelling very near the speed of light AND at a very small angle towards the observer. Because at every point of their path they are emiting light and due to their high velocity, the light they emit does not approach the observer much quicker than the jet itself. This causes the light emitted over hundreds of years of travel to not have hundreds of lightyears of distance between it, the light thus arrives at the observer over a much smaller time period (ten or twenty years) giving the illusion of faster than light travel.

This explanation depends on the jet making a sufficiently narrow angle with the observer's line-of-sight to explain the degree of superluminal motion seen in a particular case.

Source: Wikipedia: Superluminal motion

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Perhaps it still be duped a phenomenon is answer enough. Because if not, then Wikipedia's definition still doesn't vibe. Maybe mathematically it does. But to me, speed is the exact measurement of distance traveled over time - how something can travel a specified distance over time equating in a measurement of speed and that measurement be only an illusion is beyond me, even if the thing being measured is light.

This is probably good reason I'm not a physicist or cosmologist

new topics

top topics

join