It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bikini-Clad Brit Detained in Dubai Mall

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
But it is ok for the Muslim community to force their dress codes on others.
In a country that has been attacked cover faces must be accepted.
Kinda is a bit onesided

Give me an example of when the ''Muslim community'' have forced their dress code on anyone.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
reply to post by Annee

Are you going to reply to my post, where I informed you why a Dubai shopping centre shouldn't be kowtowing to foreign customers ?

Or are you just going to avoid my ''unanswerable'' points ?

NO

You're starting to get rude - not only tome - but other posters.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
But it is ok for the Muslim community to force their dress codes on others.
In a country that has been attacked cover faces must be accepted.
Kinda is a bit onesided

I hear this juvenile argument all the time and it has more holes in it than a sieve, who the hell cares what others do? Why should the freedoms Muslims and non muslims living in our country enjoy have anything to do with another? It's an utterly ridiculous and childish argument...

And yes it is their culture and their laws, i personally don't see western laws regarding woman as all that much better. Both have positives and negatives, i personally would have given this woman a harsher penalty as the manner in which she did this was disgusting. I would have sent a message to anyone else thinking they are somehow standing up for womans rights(which they are not) by trampling over another countries customs.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

perhaps he's just the first to ask, maybe if you lot wanted to pray they would have done it anyway? I see your point and understand it, but most muslims take they're faith alot more seriously than westerners.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I agree with that 100%. When in Rome, do as the Romans. She was wrong to do this.

But I do not get how strictly moral this country is on the one hand, and then ignores this issue on the other.

You seem to be having trouble understanding that the law doesn't allow you to prostitute yourself in the public mall, and have sex there.

We have strip clubs and a legally nude beach in Miami, but I can't go nude at city hall, or even the strip club if I am not working there.

Some people are very against the nude beach, but it has signs that say if nudity offends you do not go beyond this point.

So by your standards Miami is as wacked as the United Emirates.

Their PUBLIC dress code is about regional and religious customs.

This does not apply in places where it is permissable to be undressed.

You wanting to make their dress codes simply about morallity and then dictate and regulate what they should not permit and what they should permit, is in fact no different than their own desire to do the same.

They have a right to, since it's their sovereign country.

So like the signs at the nude beach say, if this offends you don't visit there.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

you can't cry foul at someone else when they can look over the fence and see you doing the same dam thing, you want someone to change then we have to lead by example.
and that women is an idiot

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

LOL.
I'm not rude.

All that I was querying with you, was your seeming lack of understanding towards other country's laws and culture.

You still haven't explained why Dubai should change their policies, to accommodate some misguided Western travellers, when they are doing just fine, now...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
EDIT: Double Post.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
EDIT: Double Post.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Annee

LOL.
I'm not rude.

All that I was querying with you, was your seeming lack of understanding towards other country's laws and culture.

You still haven't explained why Dubai should change their policies, to accommodate some misguided Western travellers, when they are doing just fine, now...

It was a different side of a debate.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I my opinion as someone who has lived here for over two years now, a reasonable person from the West can live here and have a very good time, without offending the culture or religion of the locals, provided them give at least a small amount of thought and respect to the local laws and customs.

Like i said, Dubai is fairly relaxed compared to other places - women do not have to wear Burkhas or Abayas, or walk behind gtheir men. Perhaps some local women do this, as it is their custom, but for sure Westerners are not expected to do this (although my girlfriend is always lagging behind me in the mall, but that's cos she walks too slow....or i walk too fast...

Another thing - sex outside of marriage is illegal, as is living togther if you are not married. So prostitution is doubly strange, as you commit more than one offence just by the nature of it.

Again, everyone knows that people live together here without being married - the rule is "There is never a problem until there is a problem" - meaning you keep your head down and don't draw attention to yourself, and you will be OK. Keep having arguments at 3am when you roll in drunk, or loud parties every weekend, and come to the attention of the police, and then questions will be asked.....

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

Are you british BlueOrb? And what age group? I think this has a lot to do with the story, British woman are slowly deteriorating morally if you look across all spectrums...especially those in the younger age group.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I might of been a bit harsh here. I agree that the British tourist did the wrong thing, however I was referring to the original complaint the other woman made about her low cut top in the shopping center, before she stripped off to her bikini.

We don't know exactly how "low cut" her top really was without photos. For all we know, she could have been wearing tops like these for the last week without any issues/complaints, prior to this incident.

I agree that western tourists should respect local laws/customs, but I have a feeling (could be 100% wrong though!) that this British tourist reacted the way she did, because it was most likely the first time she has had someone confront her during her visit.

Yes, she did over-react in a childish/stupid way, but remember her original low-cut top might not have been causing her any problems until this day, or her top might not have been as "offensive" as we are all thinking it was.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Skyline74]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyline74

If you look at the link to The Sun article i posted, you can see exactly how she was dressed, as she posed for a photo (again, in a Mall), for the purposes of the report. Hardly what i would describe as particularly revealing....

www.thesun.co.uk...

[edit on 7-8-2010 by BlueOrb]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Yes - I'm British. 41 yrs.

I agree about the "youngsters" nowadays!!

You only have to go to some bars here to see women in their early to mid twenties hammered out of their heads, doing a fine job of representing our country. Unfortunately the "laddish" behaviour they have developed at home is one of our lower quality exports....

[edit on 7-8-2010 by BlueOrb]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Ok, In England

Was there not an issue of the women saying it was there right to cover their faces just recently? and didn't they win that argument?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

Thanks for that. I must of missed that link before. Yes, this is not a low cut top at all and is not very revealing either. After reading the article, the truth comes out -

CCTV Cameras PROVED the woman who made the complaint is a LIAR and a troublemaker.

The Young mum didn't walk around in a bikini at all, she just let the woman know she had been swimming and showed her one part of her bikini.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

for the middle east that is very revealing. When I lived in Elat Israel for awhile it was much more relaxed, which lead us into a huge # fight when we went to jerusalem, we had gotten used to wearing 'less' while working on dive boats, which is not appropriate elsewhere and at the wailing wall we had crowds throwing stones at us. It was our fault for forgetting but it was a useful lesson. Remember where you are and act accordingly. It 's made very clear what is and what isn't appropriate clothing, so no sympathy from me

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyline74

You may be right, in that the local woman was overreacting, but none of us know the full story, so all of it is just conjecture on both sides.

I personally feel she did that because she felt ''affronted'' at the woman telling her off.
It is quite a big taboo for a stranger to openly criticise another person, and the reaction to it is often one of anger or ''getting your own back'' ( regardless of whether the criticism was just or not ).

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueOrb
If you look at the link to The Sun article i posted, you can see exactly how she was dressed, as she posed for a photo (again, in a Mall), for the purposes of the report. Hardly what i would describe as particularly revealing....

www.thesun.co.uk...

That's only her side of the story. We haven't heard the local lady's version of events, so that report's a bit biased.

As far as I know, there are no cctv pictures for us to look at, nor have the Dubai authorities corroborated the British woman's story.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join