It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO forum with facts? Your recomendations.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Is there a reliable UFO forum on the internet?
I joined ATS thinking that I would have the opportunity to learn about the UFO phenomenon, I do not see any realistic, reliable evidence being discussed here. All I see anymore are people saying "I believe" with no evidence of to support that belief what-so-ever.

Is there a forum about UFO's where people post fact without all the "I believe" BS?
Is there a forum where people take this subject serious and attempt to actually study it scientifically?

For all those who want to say that I am closed minded and wouldn't know fact if it hit me in the face, I agree. Now we can seriously discuss the subject of this thread without discussing your beliefs system.

Can anyone point me toward a scientific research forum for the UFO phenomenon?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

I would suggest u2uing Maybe...maybe not with specific inquiries. He has a lot of references and knows of the better threads on ufo's to sort through. I am confident most everything to do with ufos has been covered here.
Try an ats search for specific cases maybe.

Maybe...maybenot
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

Edit To Add: May I suggest scanning the alien,ufo board? The ones with the most replies are usually the ones where "evidence" is most covered. I just scanned the board and this one came up:
Show Us Just One Ufo....
Super Ufo Evidence...
Turkey Ufo...
Ufos At Gillian Ranch

[edit on 5-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I hate to tell you this but you've found it.

As much as you dislike the amount of believers here on ATS I can assure you that this is as good as it gets.

i.e. Nothing short of any actual worth, just potential realities where the documentation isn't as succinct as it should be for recording these phenomena, exists anywhere.

There have been a few notable case where there seems to be something worthy (Such as the Battle of LA case) but given enough scrutiny and actual critical thinking they all appear to be dud examples.

You're best bet is to either hop back onto the wagon of getting things done or play around with the whack-jobs believing this madness to be real without any burden of proof.

I'm sorry for you, believe me you are not along in wanting there to be proof that states otherwise. But this is the best we have on Earth, check the threads for yourself to see the thankless and spat-upon work that diligent researchers do is to no avail, and it weighs in well under par for an intelligent species.

Accept that is there is anything out there they consider us the same we that we consider ants (and rightly so!).

Move along and stop any further heartache from this - live a good life and leave the nutters to themselves.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There are only a handful of cases that at the end of the day hold any actual scientific merit. The best being the '57 RB-47 case, particularly Brad Sparks' analysis (available in Clark's UFO Encyclopedia).

Here are some helpful threads,

1. 'Brief Proof of UFOs'
  2. 'The State of Ufology'
  3. 'The UFO gauntlet: the case the Condon study, Blue Book, & Klass couldn't crack'
  4. 'UFOs lets cut the crap'
  5. 'UFOs: Asking the Right Questions ...'
  6. 'Free UFO Researcher Starter Pack'
  7. 'Expert's short list'
  8. 'Top 100 UFO cases - Revealed!'

Other good cases,

1. '56 Bentwaters/Lakenheath incident
  2. 1986 JAL-1628
  3. 1967 Malmstrom AFB Missile incident
  4. 1973 Coyne Helicopter
  5. 1976 Tehran UFO

And the link in my signature is a synopsis of this whole debacle.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the advice and that gives me a lot of reading to catch up on.
Does anyone know anything about MUFON? I believe they are a pay site but is their information any more reliable than the posts here?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChicUFO
Thanks for the advice and that gives me a lot of reading to catch up on.
Does anyone know anything about MUFON? I believe they are a pay site but is their information any more reliable than the posts here?

Your mileage will vary. Since MUFON is a volunteer organization you get all types and caliber of people. In my own personal involvement, as a software engineer, I've had the good fortune of avoiding the quacks.

Bottom line though with UFOs there aren't any established methods for studying the subject. So without a framework it by default allows all forms of crazy theorizing. You just have to sift through it, and use your own discernment. Put another way MUFON does occasionally put forward a good field report, other times not so much.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
As stated above...this is probably the most "comprehensive" site.

It may be full of quacks, nutters, trolls and posts of dubious worth but it is also populated with people who can evidence a rat in record time. As also stated, you've got to sift through the rubbish to find those rare nuggets and this site is really good for sifting (read massive flame battles)

Just imagine Babylon 5 and relax. One day, out of the bad, good will seep through. Well I hope so

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

It'd help if you'd at least adapt a provisional position on the subject. I've seen you make posts declaring there's no such thing as UFOs and laughing at believers. The next day, you're trying to work out a system of flagging them down to Earth.

Let's be honest here, you're implying the ATS UFO forum falls short of your present ideal of a fact-based approach. That's unwarranted criticism. There are several members who make an effort to engage in discussions and focus on facts. These are the guys who provide links to credible sources and have at least a working knowledge of UFO history.

The whole forum is a reflection of the knowledge and data available to a wide variety of individuals. Some members watch youtube videos. Others do genuine research. A lot of informed members have read the literature, studied the technical papers and still can't commit themselves to making the assertion that, "UFOs are extraterrestrial!" We've got a cross-section that ranges from people dipping their toes in to people who are effectively immersed in the phenomena. Every one of them has a right to their opinion on a public forum.

If you want a list of the best sites to really get into the subject, I'll post one. I could also provide a list of the members I find to be the most informed and/or credible, but it'd be unfair on the ones that get overlooked.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChicUFO
Is there a reliable UFO forum on the internet?
I joined ATS thinking that I would have the opportunity to learn about the UFO phenomenon, I do not see any realistic, reliable evidence being discussed here. All I see anymore are people saying "I believe" with no evidence of to support that belief what-so-ever.

Is there a forum about UFO's where people post fact without all the "I believe" BS?
Is there a forum where people take this subject serious and attempt to actually study it scientifically?

For all those who want to say that I am closed minded and wouldn't know fact if it hit me in the face, I agree. Now we can seriously discuss the subject of this thread without discussing your beliefs system.

Can anyone point me toward a scientific research forum for the UFO phenomenon?

To be honest. I seriously doubt there is ANY forum or site out there that is discussing anything that is not discussed here at ATS.

If you are not happy with the topics here, why dont you start some stellar out of this world (no pun intended
) threads for us all to discuss.

Be the change you wish to see.

[edit on August 5th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
You could try going back into the archives and then see if there are some older threads which may interest you. Thats my suggestion,

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

Yes their is but I dont think the gen. populace has access to that specific internet.. Its for the special people
and we arnt special to them

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

It'd help if you'd at least adapt a provisional position on the subject. I've seen you make posts declaring there's no such thing as UFOs and laughing at believers. The next day, you're trying to work out a system of flagging them down to Earth.

You have that backward. I came to ATS believing that some of the UFO's seen might actually be alien spacecraft. My views have changed since then, I no longer believe any of them to be alien in nature. I came here wanting to attempt to ask them down for a visit but have on two occasions, asked the mods to lock or delete my threads. I no longer see a need for the UFO community to attempt any form of contact.

If you are not happy with the topics here, why dont you start some stellar out of this world (no pun intended
) threads for us all to discuss.

I can't start a wonderful thread that will effect the forum in any way because I no longer believe that it is possible. I had hoped that there was a forum that dealt with only the facts, I guess ATS is as good as it gets and that is a disappointment to me.

I am grateful for the comments and the links and I thank you.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Whaaaa, what a pitty you are so discouraged even after being given a few solid suggestions that built this forum to what it is today.

Odd that you only choose to make a proper reply to the Mod who made some good suggestions.

This looks like the pitty card to me and disruptive to the overwhelming and incredible threads which have been any true seekers dream.

If you are blind to the search engine then no forum or site is ever going to fill your emptiness.

Take a good look at the types of threads you have posted in since you arrived here, just hit profile at the bottom of your posts, and see what your interests have lead you to.

I seriously doubt you have the ability to create a "Stellar" thread in the UFO?Alien forums, now want to prove me wrong?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

Have a look at some of these sites and see if they help. Ufology has been around as a subject for some 60 odd years and nobody has cracked the phenomena yet. At least, nobody that's sharing it with us!

The Project Blue Book site has over 50 000 pages of UFO reports. Many of them are definitive and defy explanation to this day...www.bluebookarchive.org...

NICAP has been around since the 50s and has thousands of FOIA documents, seminal books and reports from legends in the field....www.nicap.org...

Dimitris Hatzopoulos runs an incredible site at...www.hyper.net... He links to many of the scientific papers and offers informed opinion on some of the major cases.

UFO researchers like Dr Clarke and Kevin Randle have their own sites that stay up to date...kevinrandle.blogspot.com... and www.drdavidclarke.co.uk...

Jerry Cohen's site is a bit messy by current standards, but charts the history of Ufology, major studies and articles by the legends...www.cohenufo.org...

For good skeptical analyses of popular cases, we've got www.uk-ufo.org... and www.theironskeptic.com...

Scientific papers on the subject can be found at... www.scientificexploration.org... and especially at Dimitri's site above. Also NARCAP study pilot reports and possibly offer the most detailed analyses of the phenomena in one place...www.narcap.org.

One of the easiest and most entertaining ways to learn plenty about ufology is to listen to the people that do the studies and write all the books. They do interviews. You can find them on...www.theparacast.com... and www.dqrm.com... (Dark Matters Radio). Also Knapp's Strange Days...www.virtuallystrange.net... and Binnall of America...binnallofamerica.com...

There's plenty more sites and I've probably overlooked some great ones. The point is that you can learn a great deal about the subject and launch some cool threads. Listen to the podcasts, check up on the details and cases and see how you feel? I recommend listening to the Binnall and Strange Days interviews with Jacques Vallee to kick start it all.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I endorse this post.

Another resource few people seem to be aware of rr0.org...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicUFO

I more or less share your sentiments.

Although I firmly believe ATS to be THE place to come for the subject, I definitely see that the board has gone slightly downhill compared to years ago.

I've been coming to this site for years, because quite honestly it is the most mind-provoking website on the internet. I love it. And I loved this board, more than any other in the entirety of the internet.

Sadly, when users like Internos began leaving combined with the apparent lack of compelling material, the board has gone downhill while possibly attracting the kind of users who are either new to UFO's or are quite simply the kind of person who'd rather think with their heart than their mind.

There is nothing wrong with being new to this topic, but IMO, there is everything wrong with thinking from your heart. A topic as controversial, muddled, and quite honestly misunderstood as UFOlogy needs level-headed rational people to spearhead the debates in order to garner any semblance of merit or integrity.

I don't much care for the threads started with massive hyperbole and subpar source material being flagged left and right and debated as if they were revelations. It does nothing positive for the cause.

The best threads on this board have come and gone, perhaps because the last several years have not had much compelling activity. Who knows. Either way, ATS is as good as it gets, for better or worse.

I'm here to stay, and I only hope others realize that in order to do the most amount of good for the forum and topic in general, people need to be rational, level headed posters with integrity and have the ability to seperate emotion (and belief) from fact.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by SaosinEngaged]

niv

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't think the board has changed much over the years. There were always believers and skeptics that didn't care about evidence and believers and sketptics that did.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme
reply to post by Kandinsky

I endorse this post.

Another resource few people seem to be aware of rr0.org...

Naturally Xtraeme, you would have been one of the members worth listing.

If we're gonna be flexing our 'minority website' muscles, have you visited this cornucopia of classic UFO material? www.ignaciodarnaude.com...

An outstanding collection.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Naturally Xtraeme, you would have been one of the members worth listing.

Aw schucks.
Well ditto!

If we're gonna be flexing our 'minority website' muscles, have you visited this cornucopia of classic UFO material? www.ignaciodarnaude.com...

An outstanding collection.

I was missing some FSR mags, think this might finally fill out the collection. Nice one K!
At some point I should probably package all this material into a torrent. At the current count it's 116 GBs of data spread of 248,820 files!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thanks to all who posted. I see I have a lot more reading to do.

@ Xtraeme
That link doesn't work for me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join