It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for those who support gay marriage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

While i myself would not like to be married to multiple people i cannot understand why it is considered immoral. If consenting adults want to marry multiple people then whats the problem?

If a wife wants 7 husbands and everyone happy then whats the problem? If a man wants 4 wives and they are alright with it then why all the fuss?I have a very simple philosophy that covers these things.

As long as you don't hurt anyone, and as long as it's consenting, then do whatever you like.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by fred call

I don't think that will have any effect actually. When a gay man is not married, he is still gay. Children are hard to get without the help of a woman.

Uh, yeah. If a gay man goes on vacation with a woman, there's a good chance there won't be any pregnancies occurring during that vacation. They can go as good friends without any need or desire for sex. A zero population growth get together.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Let me start by saying im a heterosexual male,not that it should matter. Why cant people keep their noses out of other peoples business? If more people had the live and let live attitude,the world would be a much better place.How does gay people getting married hurt any of these STUPID people protesting it.These people should get a life,there are plenty things they could be protesting that are actually important.Most of these people quote the bible when they protest. Well I think these people will be in for a rude awakening when they are face to face with God or Jesus. Peace and love to all.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by fred call

I don't think that will have any effect actually. When a gay man is not married, he is still gay. Children are hard to get without the help of a woman.

Many gay men have had children by sex with a woman.

There is nothing wrong with their "hardware".

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by elcapitano75
The only problem i would have is when, someone who does not agree with gay marriage, is forced to perform such a marriage, or face legal consequences. That, i would have a huge problem with.

This is an argument the church likes to push. And its a flat out lie.

There is no way any church or clergy is going to be forced by law to marry a gay couple. I suppose its possible their own organization could force them - - but I don't really see that happening.

However - if you get married at city hall - that is government - and they are required by law to perform all legal marriages. Whether they agree or not.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It's a very simple concept.

Can you currently marry more that one person, legally?

No.

That doesn't change, whether it's two guys, two girls or one of each. The laws won't magically change.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The issue truly underlying the of multiple partner marriages is money. Namely tax laws. In the USA it is hard enough dealing with the existing tax laws now extend that to "units" with multiple spouses possibly multiple children.

The issue with gay marriage is different. It is caused by myopic bigots thinking they are following the word of a deity instead of a ramshackle collection of notes cobbled together for control purposes.

I am married. I believe gay people deserve the "right" to be just as miserable as the rest of us

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I don't believe in the slippery slope argument.

I do believe that gay marriage is fine, and that the govt. has the right to limit the number of people involved in such a union to 2. I don't think it is right to dictate the sex types involved.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I don't believe in the slippery slope argument.

I do believe that gay marriage is fine, and that the govt. has the right to limit the number of people involved in such a union to 2. I don't think it is right to dictate the sex types involved.

Please explain why you think marriage containing more than 2 people should be controlled by the government? What good reason is there?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I personally support ALL marriages of adult consent.

Right Now - we need to stick with making 2 adults any gender legal - - then we can work on the multiples.

Here is a scenario: I am married to a man 21 years younger then me. He is a great man. In 20 years of marriage he has never made me feel old or unloved.

But I am getting older. I will soon be 65. It is a great responsibility to keep a marriage alive and fresh - - so that both partners are happy.

I have told him - he needs to find a younger "wife" (in addition to me). Neither of us believe in having affairs. We both support honestly in our marriage.

I do not want him ending up like Paul McCartney - - - being alone after a long very devoted partner has passed - - - and hooking up with a nut bar.

-----------------------------------------------------

The perfect solution for us - would be to bring a "sister wife" into our marriage. I am very devoted to the welfare and happiness of my husband. I want to be instrumental in choosing a "sister wife" for him.

I do not appreciate that this is not recognized as legal marriage.

However - one Equal Rights issue at a time. Gays have been persecuted long enough.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
All laws should be laws of trespass. If it harms none and all are consenting then it is no one else's business. People who are against love of one human to another is really messed up. To state you cannot marry because you are of the same sex is wrong.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
All laws should be laws of trespass. If it harms none and all are consenting then it is no one else's business. People who are against love of one human to another is really messed up. To state you cannot marry because you are of the same sex is wrong.

Whats even more wrong - - - is the only argument against this is Religious Based.

Why is Religion controlling government?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
If a computer becomes sentient and passes the Turing Test, can you marry it? Can you make a copy of it if it doesn't violate copyright laws?

If dolphins or whales are found to be sentient, can you marry one or more?

If sentient aliens visit us, can you marry one or more? What if they stay home but a romance develops via SETI?

If ghosts were proven sentient, could you marry one, or is it only till death do you part?

I believe in some sects of Christianity a married man may stay married to his wife after he becomes a priest, but isn't he also married to God?

Marriage is such a complicated concept...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jumbles
If a computer becomes sentient and passes the Turing Test, can you marry it? Can you make a copy of it if it doesn't violate copyright laws?

If dolphins or whales are found to be sentient, can you marry one or more?

If sentient aliens visit us, can you marry one or more? What if they stay home but a romance develops via SETI?

If ghosts were proven sentient, could you marry one, or is it only till death do you part?

I believe in some sects of Christianity a married man may stay married to his wife after he becomes a priest, but isn't he also married to God?

Marriage is such a complicated concept...

No its not.

Marriage TODAY - is a legal document for the protection and rights of two consenting adults joining together as one household.

It gives rights and protection in areas of: medical - death - insurance - custody - property - etc etc etc

Really very simple.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

i don't know how i feel about the legality of how or what any two individuals do with their weiner snitzels in whomevers hoo hoz.

i don't care how i feel about the morality or ethical issues of it.

but when it comes to the belief by some that it is a choice, the logic elludes me as to how they can come to such a conclusion. I am guy who knows himself well enough that i feel pretty comfortable saying that even if every gun on the planet was aimed at my head i doubt i could "choose" to be sexually aroused by another man.

so, logically, the only way someone who says it is a choice is only not lying to us if at one point in their lives they looked at a person of the same sex and thought: "maybe".

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

LOVE your post.

OK - I know I'm not supposed to do posts like this. But . . .

LOVE YOUR POST.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Im not too surprised by this. Every great empire in the history time on its way out starts a slow(but sometimes fast) moral decline and degradation. Liberals and gays will deny this. Because they assume being gay=immoral. But the simple truth is all empires lose there values and morals that made them great.

The truth is america is on its way out. Gay marriage is just a symptom of this. It happened to rome too. just lasted alot longer. america wont be here in 20 years. mark my words.

RIP america.

DOOMED EMPIRES-

ROME

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

BRITISH EMPIRE

ETC,ETC,ETC.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Nofoolishness]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

If banning gay marriage is unconstitutional, should banning bigamy and polygamy also be unconstitutional as well?

Without reading any other replies, I want to answer your question, then I'll go back and see how others are weighing in on your op/question.

I personally believe that any relationship that is shared by parties whom are all of legal age (I think legal age for marriage of any form should be 21 or older, but that's another topic) and 100% consenting is none of anyone elses damn business, end of discussion! We only run into issues with these relationships when other people put of their walls of ignorant prejudice, usually associated with a religious belief.

I will go a step further here and add that I also believe that pda's associated with these or other relationships shold not be tolerated. Example: two teenagers are in the food court of the local mall with their tongues down each other's throats, I don't want to see that and I sure as $%&# don't want my kids to see that. It makes no difference to me whether or not they are gay or straight. Another example: which I see all the time and it really turns my stomach, two older people (let's say in their 60's) are walking down the street and rubbing each other's bums. I've even seen men grabbing at their women's breasts or even their crotch! Seriously, get a room and then close the door!!

What happens between consenting adults in the privacy of their own home is none of my business and it's none of yours. I am a straight woman (even though I am able to find other women attractive), I am married and I have three sons. I have no say in who they fall in love with, unless it involves pedophilia, beastiality or, God forbid, incest! As long as they find someone who makes them feel complete, supported and loved, it's all good!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Nofoolishness

Rome is still on my map.

So is Britain.

All nations rise and fall, "moral degradation" has little to do with it.

There will come a time, yes, in this century, when the United States is no longer the sole superpower, or even the top dog. We will not vanish, just lessen in strength. I'm not too worried about it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

i don't know how i feel about the legality of how or what any two individuals do with their weiner snitzels in whomevers hoo hoz.

i don't care how i feel about the morality or ethical issues of it.

but when it comes to the belief by some that it is a choice, the logic elludes me as to how they can come to such a conclusion. I am guy who knows himself well enough that i feel pretty comfortable saying that even if every gun on the planet was aimed at my head i doubt i could "choose" to be sexually aroused by another man.

so, logically, the only way someone who says it is a choice is only not lying to us if at one point in their lives they looked at a person of the same sex and thought: "maybe".

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

You would be surprised what you would do with a gun to your head. I dont know if its a choice. but i dont think people are born that way. im 99% straight myself. the 1% you ask? hmmm well if i see a guy who looks good i will think "wow he looks good". somehow i have always thought....thats a little weird. thank god i have never had the desire to do anything with another guys weiner snitzel

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join