It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for those who support gay marriage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Annee

OK, another question. Do people still have to get blood tests done in the States before people are married?

Some

www.usmarriagelaws.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I have no problem with gay marriage. It's none of my business. I don't think it should be the governments business either.

Frankly I'm against all marriage. As a divorced heterosexual male, I'm being raked over the coals by my ex-wife!!

Frankly, other than tax / health benefits, there really is no purpose to such a union anymore.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye
but we're talking about getting tax breaks for being married......doesn't that involve YOUR pursuit of freedom, happiness, or whatever?
people can do what they want but they shouldn't get paid for it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Not really...or at least not more than a man and woman getting married. Two men or two women get married for the same reasons as straight couples, so I see no reason why they shouldn't get the benefits.

The only person against it is probably the god mentioned in the bible...and if it really bothered him, he'd show up and punish us like the people at Sodom & Gommorah. I somehow doubt he/she/it will care though...if he/she/it even exists

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
my apologies ... point has already been made.

[edit on 5 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
reply to post by butcherguy

I did not say ALL - states allow first cousin marriage. I said many.

marriage.about.com...

You also said this:

Only immediately family blood relatives can not marry - because of incest laws.

In the same post.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

In the same post.

Peace.

Right. Mother - Father - Brother - Sister.

Can not legally marry each other.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

I disagree.

If there is no good reason for then why the fuzz when a couple of gay people want to commit ?

I do understand your point tho... I think it is the overall moral and attitude where there is either no place for such a commitment or people are not able to uphold their word and stay together for the good and through the worst.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Big difference in the gene pool from cousins, even first cousins, compared to siblings. I think that is why these laws are in place, to make sure there isn't offspring that would suffer because of a lack of enough genetic material. OK, here's another, what if a brother and sister wanted to marry and one or both were sterilized?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I disagree.

If there is no good reason for then why the fuzz when a couple of gay people want to commit ?

I do understand your point tho... I think it is the overall moral and attitude where there is either no place for such a commitment or people are not able to uphold their word and stay together for the good and through the worst.

Well.. thats what I mean. I know "I" married my ex-wife because I loved her, and I had every intention of following the "for better or worse" vows. She on the other hand decided to get drunk one night and sleep with some 21-year old kid. So... what I really meant in my round about way is that the sanctity of marriage has been degraded to a point of being, well.. pointless.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
OK, here's another, what if a brother and sister wanted to marry and one or both were sterilized?

I did read somewhere - a while ago.

That there have been legal marriages between brother and sister (beyond productive age) so she could receive his pension.

I don't have a link at this time. So I can't prove this is fact.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by butcherguy

In the same post.

Peace.

Right. Mother - Father - Brother - Sister.

Can not legally marry each other.
What is the deal?

Do we have to dissect it word by word? I am fully aware of the definition of immediate relatives.

Here is your statement again:

When you say 'only' that means you are excluding everyone else, okay.

So, when you say 'only' immediate relatives can not marry, you are saying that everyone else 'can'.

This is not so. Not a big deal, but real.

I must go now. Peace be with you.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Well... let me change my thoughts then.

My father is married to his 3th wife. The 2th left him with nothing and try to take even more and my mother was not nice in a whole other way.

I do not want to get married because I believe it is a commitment that should be based on love and trust. The kick in the nuts and financial problems are sad to happen between 2 former loved ones. Love is indeed very close to insanity.
This is so normal these days that you can write down certain agreements on paper to protect yourself. But... where is the trust when you do that ?

So I do agree with you actually. I would prefer that my delusion of a Utopian marriage was the norm instead of the exception.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I agree, they should be legal. As for Incestual Marriage, i'm kind of the fence about it, just because of how the child would be affected. Having same-sex parents is one thing, but having same gene parents is another. Maybe if same gene parents were charged with child abuse in the event they decide to have a child, that could work, I guess. I mean, they could always adopt, but even then, I'm not sure.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
After reading some of these posts the thought occurred that in some states the issue could get very complicated if the couple are gay and happen to be first cousins, too.

I guess in some states gays can marry, but first cousins can't.

Well, that's why attornies make such good livings. There are so many legal issues involved.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The only problem i would have is when, someone who does not agree with gay marriage, is forced to perform such a marriage, or face legal consequences. That, i would have a huge problem with.

Otherwise, if there's people out there who will marry a gay couple, then who is anyone to stop them? And if the state wants to recognize it, well then so be it. As long as it doesn't hinder anyone else right's. it's not a big deal.

That's pretty much how i feel. It's not that complicated

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Also, in time, once the homosexual community gets up to speed with us straights, and realizes what a general sham marriage is, and only tends to benefit the attorneys in the end, i think they will probably think a little harder before jumping in the water, cause nowadays, it's shark infested.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elcapitano75

I don't think the gay community will suffer from the hetros marital woes. They've had a lot more to deal with societally and are more understanding than we are. I think that would translate to a marriage as well.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I imagine a plus to gay marriage is in the arena of population control. You'd think China or India would promote gay marriage as a means to curb their enormous population growth. There could come the day when the world is so vastly overpopulated that the majority applaud gay marriage as an alternative to further overpopulation.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think age is the only thing that the government should control when it comes to marriage. Any person should be able to marry any other person as long as they both agree and are old enough to know what they are doing. After that the government is just sticking their long hands where it doesn't belong.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fred call

I don't think that will have any effect actually. When a gay man is not married, he is still gay. Children are hard to get without the help of a woman.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join