It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US foreign aid to subsidize outsourced jobs in South Asia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

US foreign aid to subsidize outsourced jobs in South Asia

rawstory.com

Is American foreign aid being used to subsidize the creation of overseas jobs that replace US workers? A recent project announced by USAID suggests the answer may be yes.

The US Embassy in Sri Lanka announced late last week that it will be funding a new program in the South Asian country that will help train workers to speak English and business managers to take advantage of business outsourcing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The program will be involved in "training companies to establish professional IT and English skills development training centers in each of the five districts in the Northern Province," the Embassy announced on its Web site. "Courses in Business Process Outsourcing, Enterprise Java, and English Language Skills will be offered at no charge to over 3,000 under- and unemployed students who will then participate in on-the-job training schemes with private firms."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As angering as this is, it is hardly a surprise at all. I mean, could we expect anything less? TPTB are doing everything in their power to benefit US corporations at the expesne of the American people. At a time when US jobs are becomming harder and harder to find, they are now taxing us to train foreigners on how to take our jobs.

I already knew that they were using our tax-dollars to help pry jobs away from us, but this takes the cake.

When are the American people going to say enough is enough?

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
What a travesty there are plenty of people in the US who should be taught English. As the OP said not a surprise though. The first part of the US budget that should be cut is foreign aid. That includes aid to Mexico, Central America, and yes even Israel. I'd love to see the US go through about two decades of isolationism. Punitive tariffs against low wage countries is the only way that the US can hope to maintain anything close to it's current quality of life.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Keep in mind this also creates jobs for americans:
www.nytimes.com...

Listen, at the end of the day if Congress and the Senate are both already outsourced as far as decision making is concerned then why not programming?

America is crumbling, time to jump ship!

Everyone is at fault, we all let it happen.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This whole damn outsourcing crap needs to stop!!!!!

Just the other day the PM said that we need to "strengthen our ties" with India - the primary reason IT as an industry is just about dead in the UK! Unless you're going to work tech support for a company there is little in the way of manufacturing-style software development houses producing new products, etc..!

Want new software? Outsource to India. Want support? Outsource to India. Want servers? Outsource to India. Want to use Cloud computing? India.

It makes me mad!!!!!

Then of course they wonder why Governmnet IT projects fail. They want to look at who they're really hiring to write the software.

NHS IT project costs £12 BILLION? Holy crap - I could do it for £5 million and have change left over! On top of that it would not be years behind schedule, either.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
Want servers? Outsource to India. Want to use Cloud computing? India.

wants servers? Why buy from a country on another continent?
Servers and cloud computing will not be outsourced to India.

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
Then of course they wonder why Governmnet IT projects fail.

All Government projects regardless if IT or not fails, that's because Govt. tries to do what should be left for the Free Market to do.

As far as the other comment about software development the truth is that real programmers are a dying breed in the western world, these days all you have here are code-reusers, and people who go on programming forums asking for help. And those that help out these people, guess which country they are from!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I think sometimes we need to start outsourcing our elected officials from third world countries!

When the dumb arses that we elect pull crap this STUPID!

Hello? Washington?

Yes, this is your senator speaking.

I called to remind you, SIR, that the national unemployment rate is hovering around ten percent, you old fart! You might want to stop helping to ship our remaining jobs OVERSEAS!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the government take over. Rather, they are suggesting that the government stop giving incentives to move operations over-seas. Corporations want cheaper workforces so they lobby government to give incentives for moving their operations over-seas.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ok, sooooooo, lemme get this straight. The government, OUR government, takes OUR tax dollars and spends it on teaching foreign countries how to take OUR jobs. Then our government complains that unemployment is too high, taxes too low and deficits are too high.

It would seem to me that a simple solution our problems would be to a.) NOT spend our tax dollars on b.) teaching foreigners to take our jobs so that c.) our increase in employment would lead to more tax revenues.

Boy, it sure is comforting to know that we have all of the genius politicians looking after us!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the government take over.

What I am suggesting is the people take over.
And for those not suggesting that the govt. take over..... they already did!
And THAT'S the problem.

Originally posted by airspoon
Corporations want cheaper workforces so they lobby government to give incentives for moving their operations over-seas.

Sarbanes Oxley and such laws that companies need to conform to that cost so much money is what makes them go overseas.

Over-regulation is a cancer of the economy. It's not about lobbying for incentives as much as it is so many other things.
At least in my opinion.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Wow...there's a shocker. Not. American companies have been investing more in other countries than their own for quite some time now. To save that almighty buck. American companies influence government to a disproportionate degree. Government funds said countries. That makes perfect sense to me
Nice to see this coming out finally.

We talked about this to some detail in your other thread about education, airspoon. Glad you spotted this one.

[edit on 8/5/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Yep, they's geniuses!

Why can't this be the straw the breaks the camel's back?

We need to clean out Washington, DC. It is populated with money-grubbers that could give three craps in hell what happens to the common folk.

PLEASE DO NOT RE-ELECT ANY POLITICIANS IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Sarbanes-Oxley sets public company accounting standards to prevent fraud, particularly Enron style book-cooking fraud. To say that's what's driving companies overseas is a scary thought, but probably close to the truth.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
But I suppose the "profits" come back. Mostly tax free.

IBM: Star of India

Profits to someone. And then what percentage of those actually go back into the country other than into a few stockholder pockets?

We send U.S. tax money to Pakistan that winds up funding groups that kill our own troops.

We send U.S. tax payer money to Sri Lanka and India that winds up funding groups that steal our own jobs.

Ain't globalization grand?

I haven't checked the facts of this story yet, but there's another angle: Whirlpool gets $19 million in stimulus funds to create jobs then offshores over 1000 more jobs.

Robbing us at every step.

And now billionaires who made money OFF OF US, most of the time propped up by our tax money or at the expense of our loss of jobs are giving half their fortunes to "charitities?" Let me guess. Charities in OTHER countries.

This is BS.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It seems these days that giving Americans jobs instead of shipping them overseas has become taboo.

Why do they insist on adding fuel to the fire as much as they can? Why is this administration so hellbent on screwing over the people?

Why in the hell do they think this is a good idea? Really? I want to know HOW this can help Americans get back to work. I want to know how this will help America get out of the recession?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

wants servers? Why buy from a country on another continent?
Servers and cloud computing will not be outsourced to India.

They will, and are. Just last month I was reading in an industry magazine about the security issues surrounding outsourcing cloud computing and server farms to India, where security is not exactly on the list of priorities when most organizations will never send anyone to check in the first place.

Cloud computing is BS anyway - why would you want to use a server the other side of the globe when you don't even need a server to begin with, but are doing it because it is cool and the trend of the moment?

[edit on 5-8-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm sick and tired of other countries taking our jobs from us, now to add to that we actually subsidize our job loss. The absolute destruction of our middle class due to the mass outsourcing of our manufacturing and agricultural jobs. Sure, when this economy 'rebounds' we can get jobs, but guess what kind of job. Will it be a stable job making things? NO! You will work behind a #ing cash register or selling clothes, that will be your job.

You won't be able to open a small business, you won't be able to work your way up the latter, in a corporate job you can only slime your way up the latter. We want our jobs back and not some bull# cashier position making $9 an hour for Wal-Mart, we want to make things again. A real solid and steady income where if we work hard and show dedication we will move up in our workplace, not where you only move up by proving how good you are at 'nickel and diming' people.

We need to weed them out, the ones who are unwilling to establish Fair Trade or openly support Protectionism need to get the hell out!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Sarbanes-Oxley sets public company accounting standards to prevent fraud, particularly Enron style book-cooking fraud. To say that's what's driving companies overseas is a scary thought, but probably close to the truth.

No that is incorrect, it's the cost of being compliant.

According to a Wharton School study, delisting of public companies tripled in 2003 from 2002 (Leuz, et, al., 2004). This act of becoming a private company may be an attempt to save money or to avoid public scrutiny through the SOX Act. The Wharton study found that most companies de-listed their shares in an attempt to avoid the high costs of complying with the SOX Act, with some smaller companies listing costs of as high as $500,000 to comply

www.financialforum.umb.edu...

Also

Complying with Sarbanes-Oxley Costs U.S. Companies an Average of $5.1 Million, According to Korn/Ferry International's 31st Annual Board of Directors Study -

Virtually all (99 percent) of the U.S. respondents said their boards have complied with Sarbanes-Oxley at an average implementation cost of $5.1 million. Four out of five UK boards (81 percent) reported meeting the general independence rules of the Higgs and Smiths Reports, at an average cost of $1.5 million. Similarly, 81 percent of French companies have spent an average of $910,000 to meet the recommendations of the Bouton Report.

www.kornferry.com...

It's not just because a company is Enron-ish or Worldcomm-ish, some of them can't afford this BS!
Also this MUST cost jobs too, companies are forced to layoff people to alleviate the financial pain.

This is mainly because of section 404 of SOX.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

The US economy is going the same way as ours in UK, loads of jobs going abroad and loads of locals with no work.

Who does this benefit? Certainly not the vast majority of working age people. I can't see it's the Government but maybe more profits for the Corps means more taxes for them? These companies just make more but they are swines, they don't lower the prices when they bring it in from China, they just keep the same prices as if it was made in the West.

I've seen the results here in Stoke on Trent, the locals generally have lost their jobs, the town centre is run down, the kids have no hope of a real job and many are walking the streets (they are everywhere) in drugged up packs on heroin, there is no sense of community any more and the area is being over run with poor Asian immigrants- but there are no jobs for them either! They would be better off staying in Asia as that's where the Corps are sending the jobs

Globalisation... A mess in the making and a recipe for a new Bosnia in our cities some time down the line for sure

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
not some bull# cashier position making $9 an hour for Wal-Mart, we want to make things again.

Our manufacturing here in the UK is going the same way as yours in the States. We feel just the same as I quoted from you, we too are ending up working in Asda (UK company owned by Walmart) and it's just so bad. I know teems of people who used to work in our very successful ceramics industry, they too want to make things again but Asda is the place they work at now stacking shelves and working the tills

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join