It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuking the Oil Rig?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I did a quick search and found no threads on this... But would it have been better if they just nuked the oil spill? My great uncle gave us a theory about someone on the radio he listens to that thought up this idea, thinking it would be the quickest way to do this... Quickest, yes, but mot efficient/ convenient?

Even though this would explode under the surface, people up to 100 miles away from the coast would still need to evacuate... And what they(myself included) come back to would most likely be a horrible sight. Also, what about all the animals and wildlife in the ocean? They would most likely be killed in such an explosion. I found this website, and many others are out there.

www.ngoilgas.com...

I am not sure if this would still be a possible option, but think of this like the rig explosion just happened yesterday.

I will not take any definite sides, but I do go against this idea... I'm just looking for some input on what y'all think about this.

[edit on 8/5/10 by last_resort]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is the laziest half assed methods people keep throwing out, It has never been tried at this depth, this could cause an even greater problems.

The risk is to high.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by last_resort

Right now the oil is in a pipe. It is/was leaking from a pipe. If the pipe can be sealed, it will stop. A nuclear bomb might not conveniently melt the caprock. It could melt some and crack the rest. If the caprock is damaged, it may leak in many places and will not be able to be sealed at all. Then you have a problem that is not so easily corrected as an oil leak from the pipe, plus you have the effects of the bomb .
In fact, the nuclear bomb is a cure that is far worse than the oil leak and is proposed by those that have no idea about nuclear explosives. Suppose magic happened and the bomb neatly sealed the leak. The result would be one month less of some oil leaking and a much bigger disaster from the bomb. Leaked oil is food for bacteria and they will eventually eat it. Radionuclides are ingestible but they only go away slowly, in many cases, and are carried up the foodchain. The result may be no evil oil for a month but a hundred years of radioactive seafood.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Even if it did happen to stop the leaking well. Whenever we are referring to nukes as in Nuclear Weapons, there does exist something called radioactive fallout, which is a direct result of the blast, and with that comes a half life in the millions of years.

So the Gulf would remain a huge radioactive ocean also spreading radioactivity through out the rest of the world's oceans.

Not the best solution, especially for the long term.

top topics

join