It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Use Hit Record 40.8m In May

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
To put these numbers in perspective, the US only has 300 million people.

Bloomberg News reports:

WASHINGTON — The number of Americans who are receiving food stamps rose to a record 40.8 million in May as the jobless rate hovered near a 27-year high, the government reported yesterday.

An average of 40.5 million people, more than an eighth of the population, will get food stamps each month in the year that began Oct. 1, according to White House estimates.

The figure is projected to rise to 43.3 million in 2011.

This is a total failure of the welfare-warfare state.

We are rapidly approaching the economic apocalypse. The US will be coming to an end shortly, but not before our criminal leaders embroil us in a third world war.

They know they are going down and they are determined to drag the rest of the world down with them.

Government is the cause of this disaster; greedy corporations are a by-product of government subsidizing corporate America. The corporatocracy could not exist without the violent force of government.

Corporations use the power of government to violently loot the public and redistribute wealth to themselves in the form of kickbacks, government contracts, subsidies, and endless regulations that hinder competition.

Government is the corporate gun.

Government is the root of all evil.

Government is the violent looter.

Government takes from the innocent and gives to the inept and guilty.

Government claims benevolence for the poor while sending them off to die in foreign wars.

As government has grown, the wealth disparity between the political/investment class and the working class has increased exponentially.

As government has grown, the number of people imprisoned or supervised has reached nearly 3% of our population.

Government is not your friend.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Those are some amazing statistics. Now, the only question I have is: Why aren't I getting food stamps?

Obvioulsy I haven't been payng attention to the societal and economic flow of America.

I don't have food stamps, and I wonder what else I am missing out on?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Food stamps are quite possibly the most annoying thing for me. I go to Aldi to shop because I do not have much money. There is always someone in front of me buying 200 dollars worth of food with the stamps and spending 50 dollars on cigarettes and 40 on beer. Thats 90 dollars that they spent on carcinogens and booze. I wish I had that kind of money to spend on anything.

I used to be a server at a restaurant in a not-so-affluent area. I made ok money, considering I was paying for school stuff too. I lived in a crappy house in a crappy neighborhood and drove a crappy car (I moved but I still eat ramen and drive a '94 corolla). The people I worked with all had section-8 housing and lived in the same neighborhood as me. They all had food stamps (its a charge card now) and all received some kind of aid in the form of welfare or medicaid. Without exception, they all abused drugs and smoked (all smoked weed, some meth, some heroine, some crack, most of them abused pills of some sort). Almost every penny they made in the restaurant went to their habits. Some of them even joked about being awesome at staying eligible for their benefits, while making more than they claimed.

This was the experience that gave me clarity on what a mess our entitlement system is. The situation is worse than one can imagine. I would say that these people are a lost cause when it comes to getting them out of a system like this because you aren't just fighting a mentality, but hardcore drug addictions.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by DINSTAAR]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There are some people on food stamps that get a huge amount, like 900.00 dollars plus a month. Yes.. I do know for sure.
Me???? I am on social security now..71 years old. I get 700.00 dollars a month. Half of it goes to rent. The rest goes for car Insurance, gas for car, water bill, Electricity, Phone and internet. And in Winter ..paying for heat. I have about 50.00 dollars left after all that to buy food. and gas. I can't even have my car fixed!!!! This past year I lost 50 pounds. Which was a good thing.. I was too fat anyway. Uhh. but not anymore.
The thing of it is...I had never in my life ever gotten food stamps. So I applied for them. I got my card now and I just got 75.00 a month. Which is better than nothing.
Those that get 900.00 dollars are families with a lot of small children.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by moonwize

The problem with social security is that we promised it to you when you payed into it for years and years. The fact that it does not meet your needs is because the government sucks at fulfilling its promise. I only wish that back then, we had the foresight to get people like yourself into self-directed IRA's or indexed annuities (this is something we are only really getting started doing). You would be a lot better off and would be able to give whatever you don't use to your children or their children or even to charity.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I get the distinct feeling after reading some of these posts that social security and welfare is not working for a lot of Americans. I wonder what went wrong?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonwize
There are some people on food stamps that get a huge amount, like 900.00 dollars plus a month. Yes.. I do know for sure.
Me???? I am on social security now..71 years old. I get 700.00 dollars a month. Half of it goes to rent. The rest goes for car Insurance, gas for car, water bill, Electricity, Phone and internet. And in Winter ..paying for heat. I have about 50.00 dollars left after all that to buy food. and gas. I can't even have my car fixed!!!! This past year I lost 50 pounds. Which was a good thing.. I was too fat anyway. Uhh. but not anymore.
The thing of it is...I had never in my life ever gotten food stamps. So I applied for them. I got my card now and I just got 75.00 a month. Which is better than nothing.
Those that get 900.00 dollars are families with a lot of small children.

At the young age of 71, you're old enough to remember when money was actually money.

You should tell the kiddies how much a buck could buy back in 1950 before the criminal government destroyed the life savings of America.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

well.. i got a job a while back and my wife is still on unemployment...

we get 16$ a month for food..

from food stamps or EBT as it is called now..

I use it for milk and eggs only...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
40.8 Million on the Gov'ment teet for food stamps? Thats alot of guaranteed Democrat voters. See how it works?

And here we all thought slavery was dead.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Daytomann]

new topics

top topics

join